Thread: Local Business, "Catains" No Guns

Question Local Business, "Catains" No Guns

I just went into a local hardware store, Catains, that I've been in several times, open carrying.
    4603 Bridge St Hwy, St Martinville, LA, United States
    I asked the owner if I could leave a stand with several pamphlets by the register.

After I explained to her, "open carry is the open carrying of holstered firearms, like I am currently doing". She told me that she doesn't want people carrying in her store, and that it should be illegal. I went on to ask her, what would she do if someone came in with a knife? She said, "Call the police." I said, The average response time of the police is 28 minutes. They would have stabbed everyone and been long gone." She had no response. I told her I wouldn't be able to shop there, anymore and she told me, "Ok, bye."

I'm new to actively asking people and approaching them, so what should I do? Should I get people to start calling? Should someone explain to her, this hurts her business? Should I get a couple people to stand in front of her business with a sign?

Thoughts, please...

They tell you no firearms then just leave and never return for as long as they have that policy. If you are so inclined, you can politely inform them that as long as they have that policy, you will not shop with them. But don't argue, just be polite and leave.

Banned
    I'd go in, find some OSHA or EPA violations and call them up ... enjoy your inspection !

Let's not make the mistake like they are doing in TX. Let's not throw this in their face, making them take a position. Just go about your business as always, without making it into a parade.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'd go in, find some OSHA or EPA violations and call them up ... enjoy your inspection !
    Don't do this, this is poor sportsmanship.

I think I would be inclined to shop there when needed while open-carrying until they ask you to leave. Sounds from the description like she didn't want the pamphlets there and isn't a big fan of open carry. But if there is no sign posted and no direct request for you to leave, would it be illegal to carry into the store in LA?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Don't do this, this is poor sportsmanship.
    Yeah, I'm sure THAT would make them change their policy...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    They tell you no firearms then just leave and never return for as long as they have that policy. If you are so inclined, you can politely inform them that as long as they have that policy, you will not shop with them. But don't argue, just be polite and leave.
    On this.....make sure everyone you know or come in contact with does not shop there either.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNSteinmetz View Post
    I think I would be inclined to shop there when needed while open-carrying until they ask you to leave. Sounds from the description like she didn't want the pamphlets there and isn't a big fan of open carry. But if there is no sign posted and no direct request for you to leave, would it be illegal to carry into the store in LA?
    Absolutely. If you have not been told to leave and no "signage" is posted, why change your routine?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Too bad. I OC there all the time and no one has ever said anything. Sure hope they don't stick to this way of thinking, I really like this store.