Thread: Is citizens allowed to OC a long rifle or AR-15 in Hampton roads..?

Is citizens allowed to OC a long rifle or AR-15 in Hampton roads..?

I want to open carry my rifle so do couple of my buddies. Do tours stuff like that, one guy I know has a crossbow are they legal to carry? I want to keep our rights known and alive. Thanks in advance..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy123 View Post
    I want to open carry my rifle so do couple of my buddies. Do tours stuff like that, one guy I know has a crossbow are they legal to carry? I want to keep our rights known and alive. Thanks in advance..
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=1165

OpenCarry.org is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. As such, we do NOT promote the open carry of long guns.

Why do we take this stance? After all, OpenCarry.org co-founders John & Mike as well as most of our members own at least one long gun. But due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage we do not promote long gun open carry.
    Last edited by Blk97F150; 06-07-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added 'quotes'

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    But it's it legal?

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    But it's it legal?

μολών λαβέ
    Doesn't matter. Its considered 'off topic' for this forum and threads have been locked previously because of long gun discussions.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage, we cannot support long gun open carry.

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    And crossbow carry is off topic as well I suppose.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

μολών λαβέ
    No idea. But we may find out soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    I understand your desire, but a simple question of the current status of legality is not promoting Long Gun OC. If we delved into a philosophical discussion of the legality/morality etc etc we would run afoul of such a desire of the onwers to keep from promoting LGOC.

But I don't see how a discussion of the current legality of it is off limits, especially when many of us here are hunters... so LGOC to and from hunting grounds could be of concern to us.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Banned

μολών λαβέ
    Gettt outta here ! Well at least recurve and compound is OK ... right?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    4 posts and already in the McBeth cage....

Please post pictures of you and your little friends marching tours with a full backpack, AR's and maybe a crossbow....don't forget that Harbor Freight has a sale on genuine imitation, made in China, Rambo hollow handle survival knives. You can duct tape them to the AR's so you'll really look tactikool.
    Perhaps a bandoleer or two would be nice and of course a black Tshirt that says something rugged.

Last edited by peter nap; 06-07-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Doesn't matter. Its considered 'off topic' for this forum and threads have been locked previously because of long gun discussions.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    My apologies I really didn't want to go off topic, I guess long rife is different kind of OC..? And a different subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    I understand your desire, but a simple question of the current status of legality is not promoting Long Gun OC. If we delved into a philosophical discussion of the legality/morality etc etc we would run afoul of such a desire of the onwers to keep from promoting LGOC.

But I don't see how a discussion of the current legality of it is off limits, especially when many of us here are hunters... so LGOC to and from hunting grounds could be of concern to us.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Actually you don't understand my desire, because I never stated my desire. But, to your point... I tend to agree. I like discussions on the legality of certain items and actions and the Mod(s) in the Virginia forum do a very good job of permitting those discussions until they get too far out of like. That said, that isn't what the OP began with. He specifically mentioned wanting to open carrying rifles and crossbows.

Doesn't really matter to me though.... I'll read the thread regardless. If it goes one direction I may become informed.... if it goes another direction I'll be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy123 View Post
    My apologies I really didn't want to go off topic, I guess long rife is different kind of OC..? And a different subject.
    Actually perhaps its I that should apologize to you. I'm not a Mod here, and wasn't meaning to tell you what you can do or not do here... but I have seen this topic come up numerous times, and wanted to inform you of the 'rules' since you were fairly new. I probably should have just left that to the Mods.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Actually, I need to apologize Jimmy. I thought you were trolling the Texas discussion.

You can find all the local ordinances here.
    https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...26752233_n.jpg

There is no state law that will prevent the carry of an AR or a crossbow but localities do have a certain exemption from preemption concerning Black Guns.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The member/users here are enjoined to participate in maintaining the rules - at its best it is a collective effort.

The primary legal impediment to carrying long guns can be found in 18.2-287.4 - note that there are exceptions including having a CHP.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-287.4

That said, OCDO is directed to the promotion and normalization of OCd handguns as we go about our everyday lives.

Nothing wrong with long guns or bows - but they are decidely off-topic for this forum.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.