• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is citizens allowed to OC a long rifle or AR-15 in Hampton roads..?

Jimmy123

I want to open carry my rifle so do couple of my buddies. Do tours stuff like that, one guy I know has a crossbow are they legal to carry? I want to keep our rights known and alive. Thanks in advance..:)

Blk97F150

I want to open carry my rifle so do couple of my buddies. Do tours stuff like that, one guy I know has a crossbow are they legal to carry? I want to keep our rights known and alive. Thanks in advance..:)

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=1165

OpenCarry.org is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. As such, we do NOT promote the open carry of long guns.

Why do we take this stance? After all, OpenCarry.org co-founders John & Mike as well as most of our members own at least one long gun. But due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage we do not promote long gun open carry.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

But it's it legal?

μολών λαβέ

Doesn't matter. Its considered 'off topic' for this forum and threads have been locked previously because of long gun discussions.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage, we cannot support long gun open carry.

Baked on Grease

I understand your desire, but a simple question of the current status of legality is not promoting Long Gun OC. If we delved into a philosophical discussion of the legality/morality etc etc we would run afoul of such a desire of the onwers to keep from promoting LGOC.

But I don't see how a discussion of the current legality of it is off limits, especially when many of us here are hunters... so LGOC to and from hunting grounds could be of concern to us.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
4 posts and already in the McBeth cage....:uhoh:

Please post pictures of you and your little friends marching tours with a full backpack, AR's and maybe a crossbow....don't forget that Harbor Freight has a sale on genuine imitation, made in China, Rambo hollow handle survival knives. You can duct tape them to the AR's so you'll really look tactikool.
Perhaps a bandoleer or two would be nice and of course a black Tshirt that says something rugged.

:uhoh:

Last edited:

Blk97F150

I understand your desire, but a simple question of the current status of legality is not promoting Long Gun OC. If we delved into a philosophical discussion of the legality/morality etc etc we would run afoul of such a desire of the onwers to keep from promoting LGOC.

But I don't see how a discussion of the current legality of it is off limits, especially when many of us here are hunters... so LGOC to and from hunting grounds could be of concern to us.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Actually you don't understand my desire, because I never stated my desire. But, to your point... I tend to agree. I like discussions on the legality of certain items and actions and the Mod(s) in the Virginia forum do a very good job of permitting those discussions until they get too far out of like. That said, that isn't what the OP began with. He specifically mentioned wanting to open carrying rifles and crossbows.

Doesn't really matter to me though.... I'll read the thread regardless. If it goes one direction I may become informed.... if it goes another direction I'll be amused. :p

Blk97F150

My apologies I really didn't want to go off topic, I guess long rife is different kind of OC..? And a different subject.

Actually perhaps its I that should apologize to you. I'm not a Mod here, and wasn't meaning to tell you what you can do or not do here... but I have seen this topic come up numerous times, and wanted to inform you of the 'rules' since you were fairly new. I probably should have just left that to the Mods.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The member/users here are enjoined to participate in maintaining the rules - at its best it is a collective effort.

The primary legal impediment to carrying long guns can be found in § 18.2-287.4 - note that there are exceptions including having a CHP.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

That said, OCDO is directed to the promotion and normalization of OCd handguns as we go about our everyday lives.

Nothing wrong with long guns or bows - but they are decidely off-topic for this forum.