Thread: Lockboxes MANDATED by Utah Legislature in Courthouses, Judiciary says "NO"

Centurion

Lockboxes MANDATED by Utah Legislature in Courthouses, Judiciary says "NO"

Yep, Utah state law requires that for a courthouse to prohibit the carry of firearms or other weapons within the courthouse that a lockbox MUST be provided. The Utah Judiciary REFUSES arguing that since the Judiciary is a CO-EQUAL branch of government (Executive, Legislative, and Judicial) the Legislature has NO AUTHORITY to mandate that the Judiciary do ANYTHING.

Standard instructions by the LEO's at the entrance to the Courthouse is to "put it in your car!" Certainly creates a problem for anyone who doesn't have a vehicle there for whatever reason.

Thoughts, Discussion!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Banned
    The administrative functions of a court is under the direction of the legislature and executive branches.

Security issues are an admin function...not a judicial function.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The administrative functions of a court is under the direction of the legislature and executive branches.

Security issues are an admin function...not a judicial function.
    Judiciary contend that the Legislature cannot mandate the judiciary expend ANY funds for the lockboxes--- so they refuse!
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Then the legislature should stop providing funds to the judiciary.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    And I agree! If the legislature can't/won't insist the judiciary OBEY the law we are in trouble.... almost as bad an an Executive Level DICTATOR in Chief deciding which of several laws he and his administration will obey!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Judiciary contend that the Legislature cannot mandate the judiciary expend ANY funds for the lockboxes--- so they refuse!
    They are wrong. All politicians think their chit dont stink

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Standard instructions by the LEO's at the entrance to the Courthouse is to "put it in your car!"
    Standard response should be, "What car? I took the bus."
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    ^^This !!^^

When a judge has to start buying tp for the potty they'll come around real quick.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare