Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvallis considering open carry ban

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Corvallis considering open carry ban

Supposedly some guy carried in a park and some lady had a fit about it.

Follow-up article about the city council considering a ban.

Having not open carried very much lately, I will definitely be open carrying in Corvallis if they decide to pass a law against it.

Do they have the money in the city budget to pay me for a violation of the 4rth amendment?I'd love a new truck,bet I can at least get that much!lol

Moderator / Administrator
    All they can do is ban loaded open carry by non-permit holders; and even then, police seizure of an open carriers - absent reasonable suspicion that the person is both (1) not a permit holder and (2) carrying a loaded gun - is a 4th amendment violation even if the person is neither a permit holder and is carrying a loaded gun.

Oh goodie....just in time for me to enjoy the summer after my graduation from Southern Oregon University.

On another note. Since I'm now finished with my degree, I'll be working on that research of EVERY CITY in Oregon. The research is done, just formatting it now. I will be posting the color coded city list as well as the listing of "problematic" cities in a few minutes. The rest of the document has to wait for formatting to be completed.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Another example where the city police don't support an open carry ban. Gives me hope that calmer heads will prevail.

Corvallis already has issues with their firearms laws exceeding their authority.

Transit already has an unlawful firearms regulation.
    There is an unlawful discharge ordinance as it does not allow for self-defense.
    There is an over reaching concealed carry ordinance that expands on the state prohibition.

Pg13-Corvallis.pdf
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    Corvallis already has issues with their firearms laws exceeding their authority.

Transit already has an unlawful firearms regulation.
    There is an unlawful discharge ordinance as it does not allow for self-defense.
    There is an over reaching concealed carry ordinance that expands on the state prohibition.
    Just want to say that I can't wait to see the entire city list because this Corvallis page is sweet.

According to the complaining woman's (Carolina Amador) Facebook page, she moved to Oregon from New Jersey.

All of you OCers in Oregon need to get with the program and realize that you are not in Oregon any more -- you are in New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    Just want to say that I can't wait to see the entire city list because this Corvallis page is sweet.
    It's done. I just can't figure out how to get the entire document up as it's too large for an OCDO upload and I don't have anywhere to post it off site and link to.
    Beretta92FSLady

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    It's done. I just can't figure out how to get the entire document up as it's too large for an OCDO upload and I don't have anywhere to post it off site and link to.
    Do you have a Dropbox or any cloud service? You can put it there and post a link to it.
    Last edited by Cremator75; 08-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Upload it to google docs and make it publicly viewable.

I don't have (and don't want to use) dropbox. Bad feelings from crappy experiences during college courses.

I don't like Google for anything and was trying to avoid GoogleDocs. I just don't like how closely tied to the government they are with some (all) of their projects. I may have to "bite the bullet" on this one though just to get it out there.
    Beretta92FSLady

If it is small enough to go out over e-mail you could sent it to me and I could host it and post a link. If less than 2MB in size you can upload it to me here: http://swm1.com/php/upload.php

Nothing special, just your typical comcast cable connection.
    Last edited by SteveM; 08-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.

The Local Firearms Ordinances doc is now up in Google Docs. The link is available in the new forum posting I just created which can be found HERE:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ensive-Listing
    Beretta92FSLady

It looks like you got Beaverton accurately, including the part where in an emergency they think they can ban weapons. That's pretty bad when you consider that ORS 401.198 ramps up firearms protection during declared emergencies. The only comment I have is that you can't discharge a firearm in a public place, not even to save your own life (5.08.225).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    It looks like you got Beaverton accurately, including the part where in an emergency they think they can ban weapons. That's pretty bad when you consider that ORS 401.198 ramps up firearms protection during declared emergencies. The only comment I have is that you can't discharge a firearm in a public place, not even to save your own life (5.08.225).
    I apparently missed the discharge ban with no self-defense provision. That has now been added to my copy and will be included in the next issue.
    Beretta92FSLady

Gun Control (Open Carry of Firearms) in Corvallis to be discussed at the Oct 7th meeting of the Human Services Committee.

Regular Meeting Date and Location:
    Tuesday of Council week, 2:00 pm - Madison Avenue Meeting Room (the subject meeting is on Oct 7th)

Locals should show up to this PUBLIC meeting and if you have a CHL, be OPEN CARRY.

The info on this is buried in the City Council packet available at the below link. Scroll down to page 284 to find the scheduled meetings and topics for the Human Services Committee.

http://archive.corvallisoregon.gov/0...lectronic.aspx
    Beretta92FSLady

BUMPING as the meeting is coming up soon.
    Beretta92FSLady

I'm planning on attending. Is anybody else?

I'm planning on attending. Is anybody else?
    Dang, need to get some grass roots opposition going or they're going to ram it through.
    Beretta92FSLady

I'm not going to be able to make it unfortunately as I lack transportation.

Lightbulb

I'm not going to be able to make it unfortunately as I lack transportation.
    The full city council will be considering the proposed ban on November 3rd.

Anyone that can make it should attend. Those with CHL's should open carry.

This proposal, like the one in Ashland, is being pushed by one woman with no logic, no factual basis, just "feelings". In fact, she openly admits that he stance and push for this ordinance is due to knowing five people who died from guns......FOUR were suicides and ONE was a hunting accident.

So.....
    No problem within the city that the proposed ordinance would address.
    Desires to infringe upon ALL citizens INALIENABLE RIGHTS because of her "feelings".
    Has no concept of the unintended consequences of attracting MORE open carriers.

Sounds just like Councilor Voison in Ashland.

Let's make sure she gets the same treatment!!!!!!
    Beretta92FSLady

We-the-people (opencarryusmc on YouTube) and I are heading to Corvallis now from Medford. Challenging all other open carriers to make the trip. Does anyone want to meet up before the meeting? Perhaps for an open carry walk?

Really wish I could go but work just won't stop.

No vote last night. The issue was sent to committee (Administrative committee?) to investigate the best way of putting the issue before the community versus the council deciding on a potentially contentious issue themselves.

There were quite a few anti-gun people but a significant majority were pro-gun. The general consensus of the anti-gun people ranged from "just not wanting to see guns" to open carrier's violating their "right to feel safe." There were numerous people speaking about gun violence in general that had little to do with open carry.

The pro-gun people were well represented by oathkeepers, veterans, Kevin Starrett from OFF, a handful of NRA firearms instructors, and various citizens of Corvallis and elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast