• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MDA Copyright Infringment??

WCrawford

I was reading a Dallas Morning News article on OCT and ran across this interesting paragraph.

"Moms Demand Action has happily circulated many of these photographs, which it lifts from the Facebook pages of Open Carry members. “When you see pictures of what it looks like, it points out how bizarre this behavior is,” said Watts of Moms Demand Action."

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140607-texas-open-carry-movement-raises-passions-threats.ece

It appears, to this non-lawyer, that MDA is using the works of others to raise money and advance their cause. Are the photographers compensated for their copyrighted work? Are the models compensated for the use of their images?

Or, is MDA, as I suspect they are doing, using the images they "lift" (read steal) without any permission?

stealthyeliminator

No, they do not ask before taking photos from OCT's Facebook pages, closed Facebook groups, and individuals' Facebook pages.

“When you see pictures of what it looks like, it points out how bizarre this behavior is,” said Watts of Moms Demand Action.

No it doesn't. When people see what we're doing, they thank us, pump their fists, holler, honk, give us money, buy us gifts, tell us that they support us, that they want open carry too, and tell us to keep doing it.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I don't use facebook, and advise against it to everybody. It is a untrustworthy site for any type of internet social interaction or business.

Get a dedicated website if you do not have one.