• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open Carry

give_me_a_glock

Hey everybody. I just found this forum. I just turned 21 less than 2 months ago. I have a Glock 19 and decided to give open carry a try until I get my concealed handgun permit. So far I have only open carried one time and nobody seemed to notice my gun. My friend is pro-gun, but he thinks that people that open carry are *******. He strictly believes in concealed carry. Do y'all have anything that I could say to him to help convince him that open carry is not stupid and pointless? I think that if everybody open carried, then criminals would be be too scared to ever mess with anyone.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to the forum give_me_a_glock - lots of good people here.

OC is decidedly legal in NC. Study up on the laws and links to same in the NC sub-forum.

OC acts as a deterent to threat of serious harm to you and your loved ones. Is faster from the holster when the point of last resort is reached. Is educational to the public that such is legal.

Concealed carry OTOH leaves the actor as looking exactly like an unarmed, potential victim.

There is room for both in this great big world though - it is a personal choice which we should all be free to make.

bc.cruiser

Welcome to the forum give_me_a_glock - lots of good people here.

OC is decidedly legal in NC. Study up on the laws and links to same in the NC sub-forum.OC acts as a deterent to threat of serious harm to you and your loved ones. Is faster from the holster when the point of last resort is reached. Is educational to the public that such is legal.

Concealed carry OTOH leaves the actor as looking exactly like an unarmed, potential victim.

There is room for both in this great big world though - it is a personal choice which we should all be free to make.

Yes, it is. I apparently missed where the OP mentions that he is here in NC.

edit: Checked his profile; got it.

OP, member SOLUS will likely be along to give you a reading list which will help keep you from trouble. Grapeshot already gave our OC/CC answer. Other forums/opinions abound.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, it is. I apparently missed where the OP mentions that he is here in NC.

edit: Checked his profile; got it.

OP, member SOLUS will likely be along to give you a reading list which will help keep you from trouble. Grapeshot already gave our OC/CC answer. Other forums/opinions abound.
Nope not in his Profile, but he did post in the NC sub-forum :)

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO!

As far as your friend you probably would be wasting your time if he is that hardcore CC. The best thing I suggest is do not argue, but repeat "Prove your allegations with facts, not emotions" And watch him show what a friend he is. He will either shut up, or stutter, or start calling you names.

Facts and logic are on your side, learn them here, then use them.

BTW what state are you? Ooops didn't see this was in the NC sub forum. Just a hunch but you must live in NC.

Last edited:

solus

Give ~ Glock welcome to NC's world of OC'g as well as to the forum...

to assist you in your quest, here is the NC's attorney general's little brochure: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx (section III is of import)

as well as where the NC's statutes are located along with the handy search function in the upper right side: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp

now as you peruse these documents, you will fail to locate anything regarding statutes granting permission to OC'g in NC since there are none listed, and it makes NC a gold model for it's citizens to OC as they go about their daily life's.

of course there are caveats on OC'g, such as on educational property, etc. but your attention is directed to the brochure for specifics where no firearms are allowed, CC'd or OC'd.

section III of the AG's brochure is of import as it provides guidance regarding carry of a firearm in a vehicle~ there are no statutes covering specifics.

as is my custom, I always end with suggesting individuals take a firearm course, from an unbiased instructor such as the NRA's basic pistol course.

as to your friend, i would smile, keep the training funds and the money you are bout to pay to the sheriff, and smile knowing saved a couple of bucks.

as to your carrying a glock, i am sorry for your misfortune...:shocker:

BC, as JimC said: Ah, you are so much more than kind, you can keep the dime."

ipse

Last edited:

drsysadmin

I have a Glock 19 and decided to give open carry a try until I get my concealed handgun permit.

Why use OC only until you get your CCP? You trying to convince your friend that OC'ing is an appropriate action but your sounding as if its not something you really believe in. Not judging you, just pointing out that your going to have a better time representing OC'ing as a valid and legal form of carry if you truly believe in it and see its value beyond "its a way to carry until...."

With that said, you have gotten some good advice about OC'ing vs CC'ing. Both have their positives and negatives. If you do discuss this with your friend, ask him a few question:

"Why do you think that you should carry a firearm the same way criminals do?"
"Why should you emulate what criminals do?"
"Do you carry because you want to be prepared for trouble should it occur?"
"Is it not better to avoid trouble than to have a deadly encounter?"
"Do criminals go after targets that are likely to be able to resist, or do they target those who are not obviously able to defend themselves against an armed attacker?"
"If avoidance is the best issue, how does CC'ing let criminals know that you are prepared to defend yourself or others?"
"If avoidance is the best issue, doesn't OC'ing provide a higher likelihood that a "BG" (Bad Guy) will think better of targeting you?"

Logic.... its amazing how using it leads to good answers...... Hope you are successful.

nobama

Welcome! first off, may I suggest you do both. Get your CHP and OC also, that's what I do. The CHP will make it much more easier to carry in another state, as NC permits are recognized by a whole lot of states. If you are close to Kernersville or Winston-Salem we have an OC dinner/meetup every first Fri of the month. See the activity posts above. I have a real problem with people with the same attitude as your friend, maybe if you go to a meet, bring him or her along, I promise they will be "educated". Good luck and NEVER be afraid to show Liberty.

give_me_a_glock

Thanks everyone for the greetings and responses. I live near the coast in New Bern, NC. It would be awesome to meet y'all in your monthly meeting. Maybe I'll be around there one day.

Bearfoot

Howdy there give-me-a-glock.

Welcome to OCDO.:) I too live in New Bern. Most of the businesses I have been to in town are accepting of OC. Wally world, Lowe's, Harris Teeter, are just a few of the places I carry. A NC CHP, concealed handgun permit, is an individual choice as another option of carry. Just be prepared to wait the better part of the 90 day timeframe for Craven County to get your permit to you.

Almost forgot, I carry a G19 as well.

give_me_a_glock

Liberty-or-Death, that was a really great article. It may have convinced me to stick with open carry.
Bearfoot It's awesome to see someone on here that lives in the same city as me and has the same gun. Do you go to B & R Range to shoot?

Bearfoot

We used to go quite frequently. Ammo scarcity and exploding prices(no pun intended) kinda put a kink in the weekend excursions. He will only sell you ammo if you shoot there. Have been during the week, to find the place not open as advertised. Made me not want to go back. Working on the base also makes it hard by not being able to keep it locked in the vehicle, even if your intentions are only to get range time after work. I did check the PMO guidelines, and it specifically mentions that very thing. 'Don't do it'. Just for FYI, Spotman's Lodge in J'ville has also priced me away from their range. Excellent indoor range, but cost varies depending on whether you use your ammo, or buy theirs. Me and the wife step out the backdoor, bust out the folding table, choose your weapon, lock and load, range is hot. :banana:

One other thing for your friend, go to www.miculek.com and check out his video on open vs. concealed carry. Very good presentation by a world champion shooter.

Last edited: