• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What age would you let your child carry?

Craftymommy

I Can't find the nrs( looking for it) that states this but " A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a firearm unless accompanied by or under the immediate charge of an adult."
Which to me means they can carry with their parents while out.

That being said, what age would (or did) you trust your child to carry a firearm?

I have been debating on allowing my 3 year old to carry his (bright orange toy) cowboy cap gun in his holster because he keeps asking. He knows he doesn't touch it while he has it on. I just don't know if it would be a good thing or bad thing seeing as my husband and I both OC every time we leave the house to go to the store or something. I obviously wouldn't let him carry a real firearm until he is older but I was wondering what age would you think is appropriate?

Just something to go up for debate I guess:)

Rusty Young Man

I am not a parent

I Can't find the nrs( looking for it) that states this but " A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a firearm unless accompanied by or under the immediate charge of an adult."
Which to me means they can carry with their parents while out.

That being said, what age would (or did) you trust your child to carry a firearm?

I have been debating on allowing my 3 year old to carry his (bright orange toy) cowboy cap gun in his holster because he keeps asking. He knows he doesn't touch it while he has it on. I just don't know if it would be a good thing or bad thing seeing as my husband and I both OC every time we leave the house to go to the store or something. I obviously wouldn't let him carry a real firearm until he is older but I was wondering what age would you think is appropriate?

Just something to go up for debate I guess:)

Let me first say, I'm not a parent. In the case of my parents and my brothers, one is only 16 and has been carrying his fixed blade knife (~6" blade; my birthday gift to him:)) for about a year and a half now; this has been trouble-free, and was first done under parental (and my own) supervision.

I would imagine it has to do mostly with the maturity of the child in question, provided all other statutory requirements have been met.

If nothing else, letting him carry a toy cap gun under your supervision could give you an idea of how responsible he would be, as well as instilling a great sense of responsibility in him. Win-win?:)

Last edited:

cds0699

It all has to do with the maturity level of the indiviual. Its a big responsibility.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Craftymommy

Let me first say, I'm not a parent. In the case of my parents and my brothers, one is only 16 and has been carrying his fixed blade knife (~6" blade; my birthday gift to him:)) for about a year and a half now; this has been trouble-free, and was first done under parental (and my own) supervision.

I would imagine it has to do mostly with the maturity of the child in question, provided all other statutory requirements have been met.

If nothing else, letting him carry a toy cap gun under your supervision could give you an idea of how responsible he would be, as well as instilling a great sense of responsibility in him. Win-win?:)

He is 3, so a long way to go before a real firearm gets involved. But a good point, he knows a lot and knows he doesn't touch, he tells mommy or daddy if he sees a gun, he asks if he can touch one, and so on. dang kid even knows I carry because it is my right! Love him to death but he is such a smart kid it is scary at times. I know starting him on the learning path while he is young can only be beneficial in the long run. Maybe I will attempt the next time we go out and see what he does.

As for a real firearm when he gets older, definitely going to be a much more difficult choice as there will be so much more to consider. Maybe have him start with a BB gun? A friend of a friend did that, he was 15 I think when we saw him and had a BB gun in a holster and no one really cared or noticed and he didn't do anything to draw attention to it.

Rusty Young Man

He is 3, so a long way to go before a real firearm gets involved. But a good point, he knows a lot and knows he doesn't touch, he tells mommy or daddy if he sees a gun, he asks if he can touch one, and so on. dang kid even knows I carry because it is my right! Love him to death but he is such a smart kid it is scary at times. I know starting him on the learning path while he is young can only be beneficial in the long run. Maybe I will attempt the next time we go out and see what he does.

As for a real firearm when he gets older, definitely going to be a much more difficult choice as there will be so much more to consider. Maybe have him start with a BB gun? A friend of a friend did that, he was 15 I think when we saw him and had a BB gun in a holster and no one really cared or noticed and he didn't do anything to draw attention to it.

I read about your "Left" to carry. That post made my day.:)
Regardless of what model, it most likely exists out there as a VERY realistic BB or Airsoft version of the real thing.
Please keep us updated.:)

Last edited:

wrightme

As others have stated, it isn't about an age, it is about an individual's maturity.

But, legally, between 14 and 18 is possible, but sketchy; depending upon how statute is interpreted.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Division/Legal/LawLibrary/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec300

Here are some of the specifics.
6.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 8, a child who is 14 years of age or older may handle or have in his or her possession or under his or her control a rifle or shotgun that is not a fully automatic firearm if the child is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the rifle or shotgun, without being accompanied by his or her parent or guardian or an adult person authorized by his or her parent or guardian to have control or custody of the child, if the child has the permission of his or her parent or guardian to handle or have in his or her possession or under his or her control the rifle or shotgun and the child is:

(a) Attending a course of instruction in the responsibilities of hunters or a course of instruction in the safe use of firearms;
(b) Practicing the use of a firearm at an established firing range or at any other area where the discharge of a firearm is permitted;
(c) Participating in a lawfully organized competition or performance involving the use of a firearm;
(d) Within an area in which the discharge of firearms has not been prohibited by local ordinance or regulation and the child is engaging in a lawful hunting activity in accordance with chapter 502 of NRS for which a license is not required;
(e) Traveling to or from any activity described in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (d), and the firearm is not loaded;
(f) On real property that is under the control of an adult, and the child has the permission of that adult to possess the firearm on the real property; or
(g) At his or her residence.

7.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 8, a child who is 14 years of age or older may handle or have in his or her possession or under his or her control, for the purpose of engaging in any of the activities listed in paragraphs (a) to (g), inclusive, of subsection 6, a firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, without being accompanied by his or her parent or guardian or an adult person authorized by his or her parent or guardian to have control or custody of the child, if the child:

(a) Has the written permission of his or her parent or guardian to handle or have in his or her possession or under his or her control such a firearm for the purpose of engaging in such an activity; and
(b) Is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing such a firearm.

Here is the subsection 8 referred to as the 'except as otherwise provided' exceptions to the 'a through g exception':

8.  A child shall not handle or have in his or her possession or under his or her control a loaded firearm if the child is:

(a) An occupant of a motor vehicle;

(b) Within any residence, including his or her residence, or any building other than a facility licensed for target practice, unless possession of the firearm is necessary for the immediate defense of the child or another person; or

(c) Within an area designated by a county or municipal ordinance as a populated area for the purpose of prohibiting the discharge of weapons, unless the child is within a facility licensed for target practice.

9.  For the purposes of this section, a firearm is loaded if:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;
(b) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver; or
(c) There is a cartridge in the magazine and the magazine is in the firearm or there is a cartridge in the chamber, if the firearm is a semiautomatic firearm.

That seems to preclude OC inside city limits, unless the firearm isn't loaded, meaning no magazine in the magwell for a semi. So, more restrictive than CA OC.

Note that the statute references unaccompanied carry, not accompanied carry.

Last edited:

wrightme

Here is the portion of relevance to 'accompanied.'

NRS 202.300  Use or possession of firearm by child under age of 18 years; unlawful to aid or permit child to commit violation; penalties; child 14 years of age or older authorized to possess firearm under certain circumstances.

1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, a child under the age of 18 years shall not handle or have in his or her possession or under his or her control, except while accompanied by or under the immediate charge of his or her parent or guardian or an adult person authorized by his or her parent or guardian to have control or custody of the child, any firearm of any kind for hunting or target practice or for other purposes. A child who violates this subsection commits a delinquent act and the court may order the detention of the child in the same manner as if the child had committed an act that would have been a felony if committed by an adult.
]

So, a bare reading of that section does appear to 'allow' an accompanied minor to carry a firearm.

By this I mean, that statute has not criminalized it, and states 'a child under the age of 18 years.'

Earlier, when I said, 'depending on how the statute is interpreted,' it might rest upon getting LE to agree that OC is part of 'or for other purposes.'

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

To make a short response, I see nothing wrong with him carrying a cap gun. BB guns was the way many of us old timers started shooting when very young. As long as in public he does not play or point the gun at people I think it is a good idea. Of course though be prepared to get the stink eye from some antis.

Javelina

He's Fine IMHO

First I just wanna say its awesome raising the young ones right :cool: With me and my wife having our first on the way I already kinda consider myself a parent. Its cool seeing your son looking up to you guys at such a young age and wanting to be like mommy and daddy. In my opinion I would let my son carry a cap gun with him while im out doing something and OC'ing, he is going to look up to you and handle it the same way you do. When you get home and take your firearm off he will want to as well, when you stash your firearm wherever you do he may want his there as well. I say raise em' right, the home is the foundation of learning. As far as a BB gun though im not sure how I would feel about my 15 or 16 year old carrying one. I feel like it is false advertising in a sense of how a BB gun will not help 99% of the time in a true life or death situation, sure most criminals are not going to take the chance and see if the gun is real but a real gun vs. BB gun = Real gun wins every time. I do think it would be good to have your son start shooting with a BB gun when that time comes though, after all I can remember the goo ol' days of shooting pigeons off the electric lines when I was a youngin' ;)

WalkingWolf

BB guns were not carried in the 60's and 70's for self defense. It was a hobby, a way to learn safe handling of guns. While we often were seen walking down the road with one to go shooting with friends it was no way a means of protection. Unless attacked by tin cans.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
IMHO kids should start carrying as soon as they are able to walk and talk at the same time. Start them out on "toy" guns (squirt guns, cap guns, even your blue/red guns) mostly for the indoctrination of The Four Rules and understanding that when the adult says it is okay to take the handgun out of the holster that means time for (supervised) fun. As they get older they can "graduate" to dart guns, Nerf guns, and the like - but still under the same rules and limitations. Then comes BB guns, pellet guns, and the like. Around that time they probably are physically mature enough to be shooting single shots with the adult standing right behind them guiding their hands/making sure the barrel stops before it wanders away from straight at the designated target.

The plan is to teach the kids that carrying and shooting is fun - but serious fun. Just never let them know it's also how you are judging just how mature they are - even though that's just what you are doing.

stay safe.

Craftymommy

I just want to say thank you all:) granted this is an open carry forum but when it comes to minors and carrying I expected a bit more backlash I guess. We haven't had a chance to go out yet(probably this weekend) but I am going to have him carry and see how it goes. I talked to him yesterday about it and his responses amazed me. I mean I know he knows this stuff because we taught him but still, I am proud.
Me: how do you carry your gun?
Son: in my holster like you.
Me:do you touch your gun while it is in your holster?
Son: no, I ask mommy or daddy if I can touch it.
And we went on to talk about gun safety and all that goes with it.

So I guess I will update on how it goes once we get the chance to try!

WalkingWolf

BTW I forgot to add, if it hasn't, you might want to consider getting him an airsoft, so he can go to the range just like you. He might get frustrated with a toy gun he cannot play with over time. And a play gun and a carry gun should not be the same IMO. Just make sure whatever he carries that the orange tip can be clearly seen so the antis don't go running and screaming.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
part one- what age would (or did) you trust your child to carry a firearm?
part deux- I was wondering what age would you think is appropriate?

Part one- My children were exposed to weapons from birth. Our home has always had weapons in it due to the fact that the "family business" was/is the Military. That said, respect for the tool was burned into their memories right away. The seventh birthday was a trip to the range for all. I never had any safety problems with my children as they paid very close attention.
My Mother started me off with a .22 rifle at age seven in the range we had in the basement. My kids called her "Grambo", an excellent shot and trainer.

Part deux- This is flexible, it can only be done by the parent.

An airsoft or blue gun is a great training aid. Treat it the same, train it the same. We must educate our own.

Last edited:

turborich

That seems to preclude OC inside city limits, unless the firearm isn't loaded, meaning no magazine in the magwell for a semi. So, more restrictive than CA OC.

CA has NO Open carry.

Craftymommy

Well first, we went to walmart today( rainbow/spring mountain) and he had his gun in his holster, just like me. He didn't touch it at all and pretty much acted like it wasn't there:monkey: didn't notice any customer or employee acting weird over either of us having a firearm(granted his is bright orange but I digress). As soon as we got home he wanted to put his gun away (he has an old gun case of my husbands) even before I got mine put away. Good experience for him and I think we will allow him to carry when he asks.

We have already taken him shooting and he loves it. He knows we don't load our gun until we are ready to go shoot, to keep pointed down range and only pull the trigger when it is clear and he is pointed at his target. Husband or I are always right next to him and assisting how he needs(usually in holding the gun steady) and of course reinforcing the rules. Also that he has to have his glasses on and ears covered while anyone is shooting. We do have a BB gun but he doesn't like it as the trigger is really stiff unlike our .22lr rifle that is so smooth and easy. He would shoot that all day if we had the ammo!

Once he can understand the difference between a real firearm and a toy gun(water gun/nerd gun) then he can have those but for now he knows guns are not toys and treats his cowboy gun with the same respect as the real firearms. Just have to see what time brings and how he handles himself!