Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Several question I need answer for Open Carry

Several question I need answer for Open Carry

I just bought a Colt 1911A1 and I have chosen to open carry it every chance I get. I am currently trying to get my CPL and waiting for the 30 days now. So I have several questions that I could not find a clean answer to.

1. As of 2014, can local cities and countries place restrictions on open carry? My current info. says that open carry laws of regulated by state only.

2. I have no car and I use the Community Transit. According to the person I talked to, the CT is a Municipality and their people told me that I can open carry but the weapon needs to not be loaded. So I wanted to know if number 1 is true, does that I mean I can bring a loaded pistol openly on the bus.

3. Are all government building illegal to enter with a weapon. My knowledge tells me that libraries are government so I want to know if it is safe to enter.

Also, before anyone says it. I understand that everyone has privacy rights so I know I must leave a building if asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriona View Post
    I just bought a Colt 1911A1 and I have chosen to open carry it every chance I get. I am currently trying to get my CPL and waiting for the 30 days now. So I have several questions that I could not find a clean answer to.

1. As of 2014, can local cities and countries place restrictions on open carry? NO Laws only say what you can't do. OC is not mentioned anywhere, there fore legal.

2. I have no car and I use the Community Transit. According to the person I talked to, the CT is a Municipality and their people told me that I can open carry but the weapon needs to not be loaded. So I wanted to know if number 1 is true, does that I mean I can bring a loaded pistol openly on the bus. You must have a CPL to have a loaded gun on a bus/car/motorcyle whether CC or OC.

3. Are all government building illegal to enter with a weapon. My knowledge tells me that libraries are government so I want to know if it is safe to enter. Only limitation as far as Govt are Federal buildings like Post Office, National Park buildings, court houses. You can OC loaded into the the Capitol rotunda, and all over the Capitol grounds for example.

Also, before anyone says it. I understand that everyone has personal property rights so I know I must leave a building if asked.
    Welcome to OCDO. Please read the stickies at the top of the forum, and print out the WA pamphlet.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ights-Pamphlet
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

That document helped but I think will pull out my mag on the CT just in case. Still not sure about the library issue though but because WA follows traditional British laws, I believe I am safe to enter a library.

That document helped but I think will pull out my mag on the CT just in case. Still not sure about the library issue though but because WA follows traditional British laws, I believe I am safe to enter a library.
    Right, until you have your CPL you must be unloaded on the bus. After you have your CPL, locked & loaded.

Pierce County Library rules: http://www.piercecountylibrary.org/a...es-conduct.htm

"Carrying weapons in violation of state or federal law or leaving a lawfully possessed weapon unattended.
    Displaying weapons in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

Carry it, just don't leave it lying around, or wave it around.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...county+library

Library is a county property, so pre-emption applies. Court case just struck down Seattle's old rule for their libraries. Like I said read through a bunch of the threads, and you will see that a bunch of this stuff has been discussed to the beating of the dead horse point.
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 06-09-2014 at 02:19 AM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Thanks for the help, I have chosen to carry because I believe in the Constitution as well as personal defense. Before anyone ask, I do not keep one in the chamber which is what I meant when I said I will pull my mag out.

That document helped but I think will pull out my mag on the CT just in case.
    Just to clarify, please be aware that removing the magazine isn't enough if you have a round chambered. If you normally do, it would be a bit awkward to unload before boarding a bus (and reload after disembarking), so until you get your license it might be more convenient to carry empty-chamber.
    Hoplophobia is a social disease.

As I said above you, I don't keep one in the pipe (I choose to do this just in case of something like this as well as another level of safety).

I do not want to scare you off but, removing and or inserting a magazine into your 1911 while at a bus stop could be mis-construed as brandishing the weapon. Unless you can accomplish this without removing the pistole from the holster.

I envision some little ol' lady seeing you pull the gun out to remove the mag and then she screems MAN WITH A GUN and there you are with the .45 held up with a mag in one hand and a startled look on your face. Then the next thing is the swat team and a body cavity search.

Or am I just being paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill45 View Post
    I do not want to scare you off but, removing and or inserting a magazine into your 1911 while at a bus stop could be mis-construed as brandishing the weapon. Unless you can accomplish this without removing the pistole from the holster.

I envision some little ol' lady seeing you pull the gun out to remove the mag and then she screems MAN WITH A GUN and there you are with the .45 held up with a mag in one hand and a startled look on your face. Then the next thing is the swat team and a body cavity search.

Or am I just being paranoid?
    Which RCW covers brandishing a weapon?

I can pull the mag out without moving the weapon in the holster but as long as I do not remove the pistol from the holster (without necessary use) I cannot be charged for a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post
    Which RCW covers brandishing a weapon?
    This RCW covers the subject but the word "brandishing" is not used.

RCW 9.41.270 – Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm.
    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons

I can pull the mag out without moving the weapon in the holster but as long as I do not remove the pistol from the holster (without necessary use) I cannot be charged for a crime.
    That will work.

While not determinative, y'all, note the terminal A in our new correspondent's user name, that may indicate a distaff member. In any case, welcome, Seriona, to OCDO.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-09-2014 at 08:17 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

What's a "distaff member"?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

What's a "distaff member"?
    RTFM and STFW: How To Tell You've Seriously Screwed Up
    There is an ancient and hallowed tradition: if you get a reply that reads “RTFM”, the person who sent it thinks you should have Read The F[ine] Manual. He or she is almost certainly right. Go read it.

RTFM has a younger relative. If you get a reply that reads “STFW”, the person who sent it thinks you should have Searched The F[ine] Web. He or she is almost certainly right. Go search it. (The milder version of this is when you are told “Google is your friend!”)
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    RTFM and STFW: How To Tell You've Seriously Screwed Uphttp://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    I do not know what all the acronyms mean. But I see no pertenant reason to point out a persons gender unless it is to imply that they should be treated differently as a result of this realization.
    Misogynists rule the forum.

I do not know what all the acronyms mean. But I see no pertenant reason to point out a persons gender unless it is to imply that they should be treated differently as a result of this realization.
    Misogynists rule the forum.
    You could not resist, could you? There are none so blind as who will not see - reason. There is no misogyny in distaff.

My home is filled with distaff stuff but, unfortunately, not a distaff. We do have a spinning wheel, a swift and a four frame handloom. We have many handwoven fabrics. A distaff member of our community, and highly honored, weaves on a 16-frame computer driven loom, including three-dimensional fabric items, as a seamless handbag.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons
    Yeah, but I can't see how strict obedience to the law would warrant alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Yeah, but I can't see how strict obedience to the law would warrant alarm.
    Several cases across the state will show you otherwise. Eating Pizza... Standing beside your vehicle smoking...walking down the street with 2 long guns covered with a towel... the list goes on and on.

Fortunately so far, the only responses I had about OC was from people in my apartment complex asking me why and a random old man making a joke about it.

This RCW covers the subject but the word "brandishing" is not used.

It was a duh moment, I should have known that, lol. Thanks Bill.
    Last edited by J1MB0B; 06-10-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    Several cases across the state will show you otherwise. Eating Pizza... Standing beside your vehicle smoking...walking down the street with 2 long guns covered with a towel... the list goes on and on.
    Walking your dogs........... very illegal act that

Fortunately so far, the only responses I had about OC was from people in my apartment complex asking me why and a random old man making a joke about it.
    You make OC a normal event every time you do this. Welcome to OCDO.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Library preemption Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    SNIP

Library is a county property, so pre-emption applies. Court case just struck down Seattle's old rule for their libraries. Like I said read through a bunch of the threads, and you will see that a bunch of this stuff has been discussed to the beating of the dead horse point.
    Golddigger - could you please cite the relevant case on striking down Seattle's old rule for their libraries?

I hassled with this last year at my favorite SPL branch.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Do not depend on this statement. There are LEOs out there who WILL charge you with a crime based on their own knowledge (misinterpretation) of the law. The charges may not stick but as many have discovered: You may avoid the time, but you will not avoid the ride. Interpreted: You might not be convicted or even brought to trial, but it's likely (depending on your locale) that you may be cuffed, stuffed and given a free ride to where you will be processed and detained until arraignment. It is the judge or prosecutor who will decide if the LEOs acted correctly or not.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Do not depend on this statement. There are LEOs out there who WILL charge you with a crime based on their own knowledge (misinterpretation) of the law. The charges may not stick but as many have discovered: You may avoid the time, but you will not avoid the ride. Interpreted: You might not be convicted or even brought to trial, but it's likely (depending on your locale) that you may be cuffed, stuffed and given a free ride to where you will be processed and detained until arraignment. It is the judge or prosecutor who will decide if the LEOs acted correctly or not.
    A case in Vancouver Washington had the following to say in a Columbian Newspaper article...

Initial reports stated Kirby made no menacing statements or gestures to anyone while he was at the strip mall at 5000 E. Fourth Plain Blvd. He simply stood around for 10 or 15 minutes before someone called 911. But further investigation found witnesses who said they felt Kirby was “going into the draw position,” according to police reports.

feelings got him ticketed.... not an actual crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast