• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Several question I need answer for Open Carry

Seriona

I just bought a Colt 1911A1 and I have chosen to open carry it every chance I get. I am currently trying to get my CPL and waiting for the 30 days now. So I have several questions that I could not find a clean answer to.

1. As of 2014, can local cities and countries place restrictions on open carry? My current info. says that open carry laws of regulated by state only.

2. I have no car and I use the Community Transit. According to the person I talked to, the CT is a Municipality and their people told me that I can open carry but the weapon needs to not be loaded. So I wanted to know if number 1 is true, does that I mean I can bring a loaded pistol openly on the bus.

3. Are all government building illegal to enter with a weapon. My knowledge tells me that libraries are government so I want to know if it is safe to enter.

Also, before anyone says it. I understand that everyone has privacy rights so I know I must leave a building if asked.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I just bought a Colt 1911A1 and I have chosen to open carry it every chance I get. I am currently trying to get my CPL and waiting for the 30 days now. So I have several questions that I could not find a clean answer to.

1. As of 2014, can local cities and countries place restrictions on open carry? NO Laws only say what you can't do. OC is not mentioned anywhere, there fore legal.

2. I have no car and I use the Community Transit. According to the person I talked to, the CT is a Municipality and their people told me that I can open carry but the weapon needs to not be loaded. So I wanted to know if number 1 is true, does that I mean I can bring a loaded pistol openly on the bus. You must have a CPL to have a loaded gun on a bus/car/motorcyle whether CC or OC.

3. Are all government building illegal to enter with a weapon. My knowledge tells me that libraries are government so I want to know if it is safe to enter. Only limitation as far as Govt are Federal buildings like Post Office, National Park buildings, court houses. You can OC loaded into the the Capitol rotunda, and all over the Capitol grounds for example.

Also, before anyone says it. I understand that everyone has personal property rights so I know I must leave a building if asked.

Welcome to OCDO. Please read the stickies at the top of the forum, and print out the WA pamphlet.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78380-Washington-Gun-Rights-Pamphlet

Seriona

That document helped but I think will pull out my mag on the CT just in case. Still not sure about the library issue though but because WA follows traditional British laws, I believe I am safe to enter a library.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
That document helped but I think will pull out my mag on the CT just in case. Still not sure about the library issue though but because WA follows traditional British laws, I believe I am safe to enter a library.

Right, until you have your CPL you must be unloaded on the bus. After you have your CPL, locked & loaded.

Pierce County Library rules: http://www.piercecountylibrary.org/about-us/policies/library-rules-conduct.htm

"Carrying weapons in violation of state or federal law or leaving a lawfully possessed weapon unattended.
Displaying weapons in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

Carry it, just don't leave it lying around, or wave it around.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...y-Visit/page2&highlight=pierce+county+library

Library is a county property, so pre-emption applies. Court case just struck down Seattle's old rule for their libraries. Like I said read through a bunch of the threads, and you will see that a bunch of this stuff has been discussed to the beating of the dead horse point.

Last edited:

Seriona

Thanks for the help, I have chosen to carry because I believe in the Constitution as well as personal defense. Before anyone ask, I do not keep one in the chamber which is what I meant when I said I will pull my mag out.

geojohn

That document helped but I think will pull out my mag on the CT just in case.

Just to clarify, please be aware that removing the magazine isn't enough if you have a round chambered. If you normally do, it would be a bit awkward to unload before boarding a bus (and reload after disembarking), so until you get your license it might be more convenient to carry empty-chamber.

Seriona

As I said above you, I don't keep one in the pipe (I choose to do this just in case of something like this as well as another level of safety).

Bill45

I do not want to scare you off but, removing and or inserting a magazine into your 1911 while at a bus stop could be mis-construed as brandishing the weapon. Unless you can accomplish this without removing the pistole from the holster.

I envision some little ol' lady seeing you pull the gun out to remove the mag and then she screems MAN WITH A GUN and there you are with the .45 held up with a mag in one hand and a startled look on your face. Then the next thing is the swat team and a body cavity search.

Or am I just being paranoid?

J1MB0B

I do not want to scare you off but, removing and or inserting a magazine into your 1911 while at a bus stop could be mis-construed as brandishing the weapon. Unless you can accomplish this without removing the pistole from the holster.

I envision some little ol' lady seeing you pull the gun out to remove the mag and then she screems MAN WITH A GUN and there you are with the .45 held up with a mag in one hand and a startled look on your face. Then the next thing is the swat team and a body cavity search.

Or am I just being paranoid?

Which RCW covers brandishing a weapon?

Seriona

I can pull the mag out without moving the weapon in the holster but as long as I do not remove the pistol from the holster (without necessary use) I cannot be charged for a crime.

Bill45

Which RCW covers brandishing a weapon?

This RCW covers the subject but the word "brandishing" is not used.

RCW 9.41.270 – Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons

Difdi

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons

Yeah, but I can't see how strict obedience to the law would warrant alarm.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Yeah, but I can't see how strict obedience to the law would warrant alarm.

Several cases across the state will show you otherwise. Eating Pizza... Standing beside your vehicle smoking...walking down the street with 2 long guns covered with a towel... the list goes on and on.

Seriona

Fortunately so far, the only responses I had about OC was from people in my apartment complex asking me why and a random old man making a joke about it.

J1MB0B

This RCW covers the subject but the word "brandishing" is not used.

It was a duh moment, I should have known that, lol. Thanks Bill.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Several cases across the state will show you otherwise. Eating Pizza... Standing beside your vehicle smoking...walking down the street with 2 long guns covered with a towel... the list goes on and on.
Walking your dogs........... very illegal act that

Fortunately so far, the only responses I had about OC was from people in my apartment complex asking me why and a random old man making a joke about it.
You make OC a normal event every time you do this. Welcome to OCDO.

Contrarian

Library preemption Seattle

SNIP

Library is a county property, so pre-emption applies. Court case just struck down Seattle's old rule for their libraries. Like I said read through a bunch of the threads, and you will see that a bunch of this stuff has been discussed to the beating of the dead horse point.

Golddigger - could you please cite the relevant case on striking down Seattle's old rule for their libraries?

I hassled with this last year at my favorite SPL branch.