Thread: Registering pistols that had been stored in another state.

Registering pistols that had been stored in another state.

I plan to go down to the local Sheriff's office to register a pistol that I had stored in another state (this was done because I was living overseas). A relative is transporting it up to me from that other state (that state had no pistol registration requirement). The pistol was always mine and I never transferred ownership and it was stored in a locked case.

So any way, am I ok listing myself as both the seller and purchaser on the forms?
    Last edited by OC4me; 06-10-2014 at 04:02 PM.

If it were me, I would treat it the same as if I were moving to MI from another state, and list myself as both the buyer and seller.
    IANAL, but my suspicion is they really don't care as long as its registered.

<dig>...after all, they don't want to know who you got it from, just who to take it from.</dig>

The dirty little secret we who have been unlawfully felony stopped have found sometimes is that the MSP and/or local agencies are sloppy as hell when it comes to registering handguns. They lose paperwork frequently. I'm not gonna say don't worry about it, because I would, but it seems to be a fact that they don't.

I have never had this issue, but more than once I have heard of people moving here, and then years later registering their handguns, saying that they just now went back and got them, and not having a problem. And I have talked to cops who said the same thing as evil, that they don't much care so long as you're registering them. What laws apply I'm not entirely certain and I don't have the time to look up right now.

The paranoid, fairly sure bet for legality, would be to have it transferred to you from out of state to a local FFL, as though you are buying your own gun.
    Last edited by Michigander; 06-10-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    I plan to go down to the local Sheriff's office to register a pistol that I had stored in another state (this was done because I was living overseas). A relative is transporting it up to me from that other state (that state had no pistol registration requirement). The pistol was always mine and I never transferred ownership and it was stored in a locked case.
    I guess the question would be why you didn't register them when you first bought them.
    Last edited by Golden Eagle; 06-10-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    I guess the question would be why you didn't register them when you first bought them.
    There is no registration in my old state of Florida, which is where I originally bought the pistol. Michigan is one of the odd-ball places that has a registration scheme.
    Last edited by OC4me; 06-10-2014 at 01:45 PM.

There is no registration in my old state of Florida, which is where I originally bought the pistol. Michigan is one of the odd-ball places that has a registration scheme.
    Not a problem, I do agree with the answers given.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    <snip>

The paranoid, fairly sure bet for legality, would be to have it transferred to you from out of state to a local FFL, as though you are buying your own gun.
    Very paranoid ... sending in a copy and asking for a file stamped one to be returned (SASE incld). Or complete an affidavit on the day sent it.

I wonder if no one complied, what would the law mean? I would think nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    The dirty little secret we who have been unlawfully felony stopped have found sometimes is that the MSP and/or local agencies are sloppy as hell when it comes to registering handguns. They lose paperwork frequently. I'm not gonna say don't worry about it, because I would, but it seems to be a fact that they don't.

I have never had this issue, but more than once I have heard of people moving here, and then years later registering their handguns, saying that they just now went back and got them, and not having a problem. And I have talked to cops who said the same thing as evil, that they don't much care so long as you're registering them. What laws apply I'm not entirely certain and I don't have the time to look up right now.

Speaking from my personal experience, this is true. I have registered pistols from out of state (I was a resident of Florida moving back to Michigan) and have been late in registering them...due to unforeseen circumstances. I have also made a mistake on the registration forms I've sent in and they just sent them back to make the correction. I think it is a different situation if you are stopped and don't have them registered vs going in and trying to register them. Once, I asked for a copy of all of the pistols registered to me and noticed that one pistol was absent. I called and the local PD just said for me to come in and register it, they just want them registered. I did. It was not an issue.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    If it were me, I would treat it the same as if I were moving to MI from another state, and list myself as both the buyer and seller.
    IANAL, but my suspicion is they really don't care as long as its registered.

<dig>...after all, they don't want to know who you got it from, just who to take it from.</dig>
    This has been my experience....
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

No registration here in Kentucky, and none of my guns are registered, and they never will be registered. Never.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers View Post
    No registration here in Kentucky, and none of my guns are registered, and they never will be registered. Never.
    Whaats registration? Is that like the Jews in WW II? Worked out well for them !

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Very paranoid ... sending in a copy and asking for a file stamped one to be returned (SASE incld). Or complete an affidavit on the day sent it.

I wonder if no one complied, what would the law mean? I would think nothing.
    Yeah? You really think so? Go ask Angel Shaymaya, the founder of KeepandBearArms.com. I think he'd tell you differently.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bl.../1589795/posts
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers View Post
    Lucky!! We're working toward that here but, progress takes time.
    Big Gay Al

So any way, am I ok listing myself as both the seller and purchaser on the forms?
    That's the way you do it. When I first moved here, I asked the people at the Sheriff's office how I should fill it out, since I was moving from another state, and bringing my guns with me, they said to just put my name down on both places, and that would be fine.
    Big Gay Al

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Lucky!! We're working toward that here but, progress takes time.
    We have reg. in CT.

Oddly enough, none of my guns have been registered.....

See, its not a law of physics ....

I'm alive, well, and free ! And will continue to be free. Until I'm dead.

We have reg. in CT.

It is generally inadvisable to admit to not following legal mandates in a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    It is generally inadvisable to admit to not following legal mandates in a public forum.
    He's protected he already served local LE notices of trespass and has lots of fire extinguishers.

Like a king in a castle.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

DM talks and types quite a bit.....proof, in short supply.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Like I said before I can't take Davidmcbeth seriously. He seems like a well placed shill and all the mad talk he has done you would think he would have overthrown the government by now.

We have reg. in CT.

I can't help it if your state's LEOs are lazy. Ours are not. Just ask Angel Shamaya.
    Big Gay Al

He got 3 days of community service, yes?

Our state's LEO's are not lazy ... they are not willing to risk not going home that day.

Looks like people in CT are scarier than those in MI.....
    Angel lucked out. The judge recognized that part of the problem was his girlfriend acting like a ******. But, that's not the only one. There have been others. Like I said, if you have the money, feel free to do whatever you want. I can't afford it, myself.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 06-12-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    Big Gay Al

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Angel lucked out. The judge recognized that part of the problem was his girlfriend acting like a ******. But, that's not the only one. There have been others. Like I said, if you have the money, feel free to do whatever you want. I can't afford it, myself.
    What if the gov't made a law saying that you must register your religion (after all, they use it as a characteristic of a terrorist) and only practice it in the privacy of your own home. That sounds reasonable ... to most people.

Wake up ! Do not find anyone guilty of any crime until our RKBA is honored fully by our governments.

What if the gov't made a law saying that you must register your religion (after all, they use it as a characteristic of a terrorist) and only practice it in the privacy of your own home. That sounds reasonable ... to most people.

Wake up ! Do not find anyone guilty of any crime until our RKBA is honored fully by our governments.
    So, in other words, you'd have us turn murderers, rapists and thieves loose on the streets until we get our right to keep and bear arms back? I'm not sure I'd go along with that.
    Big Gay Al