• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registering pistols that had been stored in another state.

OC4me

I plan to go down to the local Sheriff's office to register a pistol that I had stored in another state (this was done because I was living overseas). A relative is transporting it up to me from that other state (that state had no pistol registration requirement). The pistol was always mine and I never transferred ownership and it was stored in a locked case.

So any way, am I ok listing myself as both the seller and purchaser on the forms?

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

If it were me, I would treat it the same as if I were moving to MI from another state, and list myself as both the buyer and seller.
IANAL, but my suspicion is they really don't care as long as its registered.

<dig>...after all, they don't want to know who you got it from, just who to take it from.</dig>

Michigander

The dirty little secret we who have been unlawfully felony stopped have found sometimes is that the MSP and/or local agencies are sloppy as hell when it comes to registering handguns. They lose paperwork frequently. I'm not gonna say don't worry about it, because I would, but it seems to be a fact that they don't.

I have never had this issue, but more than once I have heard of people moving here, and then years later registering their handguns, saying that they just now went back and got them, and not having a problem. And I have talked to cops who said the same thing as evil, that they don't much care so long as you're registering them. What laws apply I'm not entirely certain and I don't have the time to look up right now.

The paranoid, fairly sure bet for legality, would be to have it transferred to you from out of state to a local FFL, as though you are buying your own gun.

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

I plan to go down to the local Sheriff's office to register a pistol that I had stored in another state (this was done because I was living overseas). A relative is transporting it up to me from that other state (that state had no pistol registration requirement). The pistol was always mine and I never transferred ownership and it was stored in a locked case.

I guess the question would be why you didn't register them when you first bought them.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip>

The paranoid, fairly sure bet for legality, would be to have it transferred to you from out of state to a local FFL, as though you are buying your own gun.

Very paranoid ... sending in a copy and asking for a file stamped one to be returned (SASE incld). Or complete an affidavit on the day sent it.

I wonder if no one complied, what would the law mean? I would think nothing.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The dirty little secret we who have been unlawfully felony stopped have found sometimes is that the MSP and/or local agencies are sloppy as hell when it comes to registering handguns. They lose paperwork frequently. I'm not gonna say don't worry about it, because I would, but it seems to be a fact that they don't.

I have never had this issue, but more than once I have heard of people moving here, and then years later registering their handguns, saying that they just now went back and got them, and not having a problem. And I have talked to cops who said the same thing as evil, that they don't much care so long as you're registering them. What laws apply I'm not entirely certain and I don't have the time to look up right now.

Speaking from my personal experience, this is true. I have registered pistols from out of state (I was a resident of Florida moving back to Michigan) and have been late in registering them...due to unforeseen circumstances. I have also made a mistake on the registration forms I've sent in and they just sent them back to make the correction. I think it is a different situation if you are stopped and don't have them registered vs going in and trying to register them. Once, I asked for a copy of all of the pistols registered to me and noticed that one pistol was absent. I called and the local PD just said for me to come in and register it, they just want them registered. I did. It was not an issue.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
If it were me, I would treat it the same as if I were moving to MI from another state, and list myself as both the buyer and seller.
IANAL, but my suspicion is they really don't care as long as its registered.

<dig>...after all, they don't want to know who you got it from, just who to take it from.</dig>

This has been my experience....

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

So any way, am I ok listing myself as both the seller and purchaser on the forms?
That's the way you do it. When I first moved here, I asked the people at the Sheriff's office how I should fill it out, since I was moving from another state, and bringing my guns with me, they said to just put my name down on both places, and that would be fine.

wizzi01

Like I said before I can't take Davidmcbeth seriously. He seems like a well placed shill and all the mad talk he has done you would think he would have overthrown the government by now.