• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

went to renew my chl in Multnomah County

bwboley

Activist Member
This was on the door. I looked up the ors and it said does not apply to
D.A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun

Does that mean I could have carried in there anyway?

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If the building was just the Sheriff's Department and you have a valid Oregon CHL then you can carry a firearm in that building either openly or concealed.

Lord Sega

Ianal, so correct me if I'm wrong...

Like others stated above, areas of the building open to the general public is OK with a CHL, but I would be real careful about being invited back into office type areas past locked/secure doors to "talk" and finding out you are now carrying in a security area.

Also, if the building has a court facility anywhere in it could cause the stricter rules (166.370 section 2) to apply even though you are just in a sheriff/police section of the building and not in the court section.

We-the-People

Ianal, so correct me if I'm wrong...

Like others stated above, areas of the building open to the general public is OK with a CHL, but I would be real careful about being invited back into office type areas past locked/secure doors to "talk" and finding out you are now carrying in a security area.

Also, if the building has a court facility anywhere in it could cause the stricter rules (166.370 section 2) to apply even though you are just in a sheriff/police section of the building and not in the court section.

"Security" areas of Oregon public buildings are NOT off limits to a CHL holder. The ORS are quite specific as to what is and is not off limits.

166.370 cannot LEGALLY be construed to prohibit a CHL holder from going into the back area of a police or sheriffs building unless it is also a JAIL.....and I'm not so sure about the jail even though it would be a very bad idea.

FMCDH

Civilians? What, that an Army base....cause cops ARE civilians....

+1

So I guess that means I am good to go! LOL

Something tells me that wouldn't go over well regardless of the wording they use on the sign :rolleyes:

I have more than once corrected a group of Seattle PD officers who used that term unthinkingly when they approached me about OC. I pointed out very matter of fact-like that the only non-civilian among us was me.

They never do take that well, but they also don't argue any further. :D
I usually get a terse reply of "you know what I mean!"

Sadly, the definition of "civilian" has shifted as of late, and most dictionaries now exclude law enforcement and sometimes even firefighters from the definition.
My understanding has always been that if you're NOT subject to the articles of the UCMJ, you’re a civilian.

Anyway, you do have to go back into a secured portion of the building when your number is called to turn in your paperwork and pay your fees. Mostly, I don’t think they want a bunch of "unknown" guns wandering around the building, not that a sign would stop a real threat, since they don't screen people coming into the building or going into "secured" areas.

Last edited:

We-the-People

+1

So I guess that means I am good to go! LOL

Something tells me that wouldn't go over well regardless of the wording they use on the sign :rolleyes:

I have more than once corrected a group of Seattle PD officers who used that term unthinkingly when they approached me about OC. I pointed out very matter of fact-like that the only non-civilian among us was me.

They never do take that well, but they also don't argue any further. :D
I usually get a terse reply of "you know what I mean!"

Sadly, the definition of "civilian" has shifted as of late, and most dictionaries now exclude law enforcement and sometimes even firefighters from the definition.
My understanding has always been that if you're NOT subject to the articles of the UCMJ, you’re a civilian.

Anyway, you do have to go back into a secured portion of the building when your number is called to turn in your paperwork and pay your fees. Mostly, I don’t think they want a bunch of "unknown" guns wandering around the building, not that a sign would stop a real threat, since they don't screen people coming into the building or going into "secured" areas.

It doesn't really matter (doesn't matter at all) what they WANT. It is what the law says.

And yeah, I'm tired of cops thinking they aren't civilians. The only non civilians are those in the military (active or reserve).