• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Range to Open in PW County

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not cheap, but not unreasonable considering what they have to offer.

Only question I have at this point is can you shoot your own ammo?

Blk97F150

Not cheap, but not unreasonable considering what they have to offer.

Only question I have at this point is can you shoot your own ammo?

One question i have... is whether they will allow you to carry into the range, or whether they will force you to disarm in the parking lot (only to arm back up inside).

Nice facility though. 100yd indoor range. That could be very nice!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
One question i have... is whether they will allow you to carry into the range, or whether they will force you to disarm in the parking lot (only to arm back up inside).

Nice facility though. 100yd indoor range. That could be very nice!

This is definitely worth watching. Since they will be in closer competition with the NRA headquarters range, one would hope they allow carry into the building. The NRA range allows this, open or concealed, loaded or unloaded. Also I wonder if they will allow draw and fire practice on the lanes as does the NRA range. I have been watching this one some since I first got word of it. This ranges is not very far from my house so it would be doable. And from what I understand, it will be open every weekday morning, unlike the NRA range which is only open Mondays and Fridays for weekday mornings.

stickslinger

This is definitely worth watching. Since they will be in closer competition with the NRA headquarters range, one would hope they allow carry into the building. The NRA range allows this, open or concealed, loaded or unloaded. Also I wonder if they will allow draw and fire practice on the lanes as does the NRA range. I have been watching this one some since I first got word of it. This ranges is not very far from my house so it would be doable. And from what I understand, it will be open every weekday morning, unlike the NRA range which is only open Mondays and Fridays for weekday mornings.

According to their rules posted on the site. They allow holstered carry on and within, but you have to unload it while your inside.

Won't stop me from checking it out anyway once.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
According to their rules posted on the site. They allow holstered carry on and within, but you have to unload it while your inside.

Unloading it while inside means handling a loaded firearm on the premises. Perhaps they mean that it's okay to carry an unloaded firearm on their grounds but not a loaded one. Could give reason to reconsider things.

Bob1

Looks like this is going to be a very nice facility.

Construction progress:

Attachments

• PWC range 1.jpg
    PWC range 1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 88
  • PWC range 3.jpg
    PWC range 3.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 89
  • PWC range 2.jpg
    PWC range 2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 87

Tess

Founder's Club Member

Unless you have a CHP. From their range rules:
All firearms must be holstered or cased in unloaded condition while going
to and from the range. Law Enforcement and Concealed Carry Permit
holders are allowed to enter the facility holstered and hot. For safety
reasons loaded firearms are prohibited in certain areas of the facility
where dry fire exercises may take place. These areas include all
classrooms, the simulator room and the dojo. Again we would like to
emphasize ALL firearms must be holstered or cased in an unloaded
condition while traveling to and from the range. This is a requirement
mandated by local officials in order for us to operate an indoor shooting
range in this area. Be smart, put it in a case and come enjoy our range

So how are they going to know initially, if I come in open carrying, that I have a permit?

SouthernBoy said:
Also I wonder if they will allow draw and fire practice on the lanes as does the NRA range.

Rule #15
Drawing from the holster is allowed with the use of strong side holsters only. Care must be taken to keep your finger off the trigger at all times
when your sights are not on target. Appendix style holsters may be used
only after demonstrating proper techniques to ESS staff. Proper
techniques are defined by finger and muzzle discipline.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Unless you have a CHP. From their range rules:

Again we would like to emphasize ALL firearms must be holstered or cased in an unloaded
condition while traveling to and from the range. This is a requirement mandated by local officials
in order for us to operate an indoor shooting range in this area.

That particular guidance sounds like Prince William County (or the specific county locality where this range will exist) is trying to change the Commonwealth law regarding firearms transportation. It is my understanding of Commonwealth law that loaded handguns may be carried in a vehicle in plain view or secured in a container; loaded rifles and shotguns may be kept in gun cases in the passenger compartment or trunk.

Am I mis-understanding the situation or their guidance?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
That particular guidance sounds like Prince William County (or the specific county locality where this range will exist) is trying to change the Commonwealth law regarding firearms transportation. It is my understanding of Commonwealth law that loaded handguns may be carried in a vehicle in plain view or secured in a container; loaded rifles and shotguns may be kept in gun cases in the passenger compartment or trunk.

Am I mis-understanding the situation or their guidance?

I hope so.

I read it to mean to/from the range within the building, but poorly stated. PW officials certainly know they cannot mandate carry methods.

Now you have me curious.

possumboy

I hope so.

I read it to mean to/from the range within the building, but poorly stated. PW officials certainly know they cannot mandate carry methods.

Now you have me curious.

I remember that PWC tried to enforce a lot of these rules on a previous range when it was getting permitted. The owner knew enough to tell them to back off - he did it nicely.

He died before he could open up. I so miss having a range on the side of the county.