• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did the Law change for the BMV?

pyroman

So tuesday morning I needed to go the the BMV to replace a lost registration for my motorcycle. I am open carrying like I do everwhere. While standing in line waiting for the branch to open up another patron and myself started talking about seeing the security guard walk in and I commented I have my own protection. The doors to the branch are mirrored on the outside so you cant see inside at all. As soon as I walk in the rent a cop points me out and needs to talk.
SG: Are you a LEO?
Me: No
SG: You cant carry your firearm inside!
ME: Umm yeah I can its not a Federal building or a State building with a courtroom in it.
SG: No they changed the law and its a felony if you dont put it in your car!
ME: Really? I think your wrong. (I went ahead and put it in my truck I had **** to do and didnt want to be there all day)

So after I went to my truck and put my gun up I went back inside and did my business. When I got down I waved him over to have a chat.

ME: Is this a Federal Building?
SG: No
Me: Is this a state building?
SG: Yes
ME: Does it have a courtroom?
SG: No (I could tell he was getting annoyed)
Me: Then by law I can carry in this building.
SG: No they changed the law and you cant carry in here.
ME: When
SG: This year they changed it. Its not in the handgun law section its in another section.
Me: So its not in the handgun law section how are they going to enforce it?
SG: I dont know I had to read and sign a paper on it to work here.

We talked some more but nothing really important after that. After talking with a co-worker (ATM) if they changed it this year then it would not go into effect until July 1st. I think this guy was full of **** or was on a little power trip.
Does anyone know if it did in fact change?

cce1302

It hasn't changed.

It's legal to carry in BMV.

I can't say I'm 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure when I got my license renewed last fall I was open carrying at the BMV up here.

JoeSparky

Centurion
So tuesday morning I needed to go the the BMV to replace a lost registration for my motorcycle. I am open carrying like I do everwhere. While standing in line waiting for the branch to open up another patron and myself started talking about seeing the security guard walk in and I commented I have my own protection. The doors to the branch are mirrored on the outside so you cant see inside at all. As soon as I walk in the rent a cop points me out and needs to talk.
SG: Are you a LEO?
Me: No
SG: You cant carry your firearm inside!
ME: Umm yeah I can its not a Federal building or a State building with a courtroom in it.
SG: No they changed the law and its a felony if you dont put it in your car!
ME: Really? I think your wrong. (I went ahead and put it in my truck I had **** to do and didnt want to be there all day)

So after I went to my truck and put my gun up I went back inside and did my business. When I got down I waved him over to have a chat.

ME: Is this a Federal Building?
SG: No
Me: Is this a state building?
SG: Yes
ME: Does it have a courtroom?
SG: No (I could tell he was getting annoyed)
Me: Then by law I can carry in this building.
SG: No they changed the law and you cant carry in here.
ME: When
SG: This year they changed it. Its not in the handgun law section its in another section.
Me: So its not in the handgun law section how are they going to enforce it?
SG: I dont know I had to read and sign a paper on it to work here.

We talked some more but nothing really important after that. After talking with a co-worker (ATM) if they changed it this year then it would not go into effect until July 1st. I think this guy was full of **** or was on a little power trip.
Does anyone know if it did in fact change?

So to continue the q/a with the bmv employee:

So; YOU as an employee are not allowed to carry here per your employee/employer requirement? Just how does that effect me?

pyroman

So to continue the q/a with the bmv employee:

So; YOU as an employee are not allowed to carry here per your employee/employer requirement? Just how does that effect me?

He was carrying a pistol. I believe it was a glock.
I have emailed the BMV to get clarification on the issue. Just waiting to hear back from them probably tomorrow.

pyroman

Just got a call back from the BMV and they security guard was wrong. Go figure!!! They hired a private security company for that branch. They have call the security company and got it straightened out and told that one guard that it's legal.

So carry on!!!

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...I think this guy was full of **** or was on a little power trip...

Both.

I doubt he was truly confused or believed the law had changed, more likely he was simply trying to fabricate justification to throw a little authority around and you simply weren't buying it.

Good follow-up.