• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police department asking for additional information

NickNt

I am a recently certified NRA pistol instructor. Two students of mine came back to me and asked that I fill out a "Firearms Instructor & Class Information" sheet. This is a sheet that is not part of the application found on the state of CT website. Is this additional sheet of Information required by law or is this the police department overstepping their lawful boundaries? I ask because the application itself already requires my NRA. ID number. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Nick T

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would recommend that you file for a declaratory judgment with the BFPE regarding the forms if you have objections to them ... rather than make your "students" get p-u-ed.

Once you get the ruling from the BFPE and its favorable then you can instruct your "students" of the ruling.

Hows business going?

brk913

Was this from Stamford? I think Canton has created one now too, I advise my students they can refuse to submit it and file an appeal if the town fails to process but since it is the student's decision and I don't want to jam them up if they wish to just submit it I will fill it out for them, as you said all they really ask you is your name, NRA # what gun you shot, test score...not really that big a deal when we have towns asking for a lot worse than that.

HPmatt

What a great state to live in. You've got the nannies looking up all sorts of stuff that is none of their damn business. Had to have slowly encroached on rights over the years.

brk913

Although not mandated as required by state statute (and as I said the student could refuse to provide it and take it to an appeal) I can see the purpose of checking to make sure the applicant took the course from a legitimate Certified Instructor, there has been a huge influx of "fly by night" "certificate mills" popping up in the last 2 years. The state does not have a list of reputable, accepted instructors as some other states do. So if an applicant submits a certificate to the local authority how are they to know if the person who issued it is legit without asking? I know the application contains the Instructor's Name and ID# but it would be pretty easy for someone to just make one up as there is no system in place to verify the information.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Although not mandated as required by state statute (and as I said the student could refuse to provide it and take it to an appeal) I can see the purpose of checking to make sure the applicant took the course from a legitimate Certified Instructor, there has been a huge influx of "fly by night" "certificate mills" popping up in the last 2 years. The state does not have a list of reputable, accepted instructors as some other states do. So if an applicant submits a certificate to the local authority how are they to know if the person who issued it is legit without asking? I know the application contains the Instructor's Name and ID# but it would be pretty easy for someone to just make one up as there is no system in place to verify the information.

Does not the NRA maintain a file of all those who have passed the exam to ualify as Certified NRA Instructor? A fax to them if there was a question would resolve everything. Otherwise you have a fly-by-night who has only filled out a form - with no other documentation to substantiate the assertions made.

Extra-legal demands are both extra-legal and evidence of the attempt to exert additional control beyond what the state legislature, in its infinate wisdom, has decided would be sufficient.

stay safe.

brk913

As far as I know the NRA will not discuss the status of members or instructors, plus there are only like 3 people that actually work in the Training Department and they cover the whole country, I once tried to get a hold of any of them, it took 6 months to get a response....

Wow, I totally overlooked the Crime Scene Unit...

If you are not a business you simply fill in the individual name and leave that part blank...

Last edited:

brk913

I agree, anything they add simply adds a burden to the applicant and the legislature was pretty clear on that, there is even a declaratory ruling that was sent to all 164 issuing authorities stating they may not add to the application process. While an applicant can refuse and take the issue before the Board and more than likely prevail at the hearing they will wait about 24 months for that hearing, that's right 2 years.....even if they are successful, the towns will continue with their extra requirements for all future applicants, why? Because there is no penalty to them for not following the law....that is what needs to be addressed by the legislature, if we had a law like FL that said anyone who uses their official capacity to hinder the permit process is personally liable for a $5,000 fine, they'd all snap into line then....

davidmcbeth

Banned
A cite to the declaratory ruling may help out the OP greatly.

The training's a joke ... just a $$$ hurdle to keep blacks from getting a permit.

NickNt

I would like to say thank you to everyone who posted to my topic, thanks guys.