• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun buster sign on state building.

self preservation

I know that Gutshot and I just discussed this issue on another thread, but for the life of me I can't find it. As bad as I hate to start another thread about a previously discussed topic, I have no choice. Today I found a "no guns allowed" sign on a building that is called Gateway Community Action.
http://gcscap.org/AgencyInformation.aspx

It seems that this a state agency. Lot's of judges appear to be on the board of directors. Is it possible that I could get this removed, and what course of action should I take? (ie. KY. constitution section 1???)

self preservation

What makes you think it is a state agency?

For one, the financial report for 2013 shows a 7.4 million dollar budget. Nothing, and I mean nothing in Bath Co. has that type of budget. The board chair makes a comment on the website that states "We are encouraged by the return of pre‐Sequestration dollars for many of our programs." The sites offers links to various other state websites.

self preservation

I agree that the website doesn't really say one way or the other. And I have no idea what in the hell they are. I'm also wishing for it to be a county agency for the 65.870 aspect of it. My wife has out of state family coming in this weekend, so I'll try to get some more information on Monday. As you are well aware, private vs. city/county vs. state all require a different approach. As you suggest, I'm going to have to do a little more leg work then usual on this one before proceeding.

davidmcbeth

Banned
There is no single definition of what constitutes a "public agency" .. governmental dollars received is only one factor ...

And it depends on the statute that is being examined as well ... I doubt you'll get a judge to agree that this is a "public agency" under the set of laws that you are interested in.

Here's a case that investigated if a place was a "public agency" under the FOIA Act ... maybe a start to your search for answers

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...US+169+-+Supreme+Court+1980&hl=en&as_sdt=8003

solus

it would appear gateway community action is a private 501 who spends approximate 50% of its 7+ million revenue on salary, benefits for said 100 employees as well as 1 million hiring subcontractors.
(theres 100 employees and they still need to subcontract out...)
oh forgot the 1+% spent on training.

such a sweet deal...

reading their annual report doesnt give you a clue what in the community they actually do either

ipse

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
A records request may be the best avenue to make such a determination. When they deny the request, and appeal can proceed to make the determination of they are a public agency.

It appears from this thread states as facts that they are highly regulated by the government, have gov't officials involved in daily decisions, and get a good amount of $$ from the gov't, and performs a gov't service. In light of these facts, I would say that it is an equivalent of a gov't agency.

solus

i'm sorry gutshot, did you fail to locate the OPs gateway community action agency's 2014 annual report which specifically states what the agency is? not sure what agency(s) your other posts are referring too. so you're right let's keep on the right agency shall we?

david, the agency in question shows as a 501 pulling in money from private and governmental grants and as such they have taken prominent local individuals to serve on their board, i am sure as an honorarium, to affect their goals.

the sales pitch you will receive gutshot would be priceless to listen to as you ask your questions about meeting state firearm statute compliance and the well rehearsed agency rhetoric from the agency lackey.

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
i'm sorry gutshot, did you fail to locate the OPs gateway community action agency's 2014 annual report which specifically states what the agency is? not sure what agency(s) your other posts are referring too. so you're right let's keep on the right agency shall we?

david, the agency in question shows as a 501 pulling in money from private and governmental grants and as such they have taken prominent local individuals to serve on their board, i am sure as an honorarium, to affect their goals.

the sales pitch you will receive gutshot would be priceless to listen to as you ask your questions about meeting state firearm statute compliance and the well rehearsed agency rhetoric from the agency lackey.

ipse

Honorarium or not, he's on the board that governs. As I said, perform a records request...