• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are airsoft guns good for training?

wimwag

Are airsoft guns really any good for training? The reason I ask is that some are the exact weight and size and extremely accurate, but I wonder if they do any harm since there's no recoil and they do not realistically function in the same manner as the actual firearms.

And I don't mean the $20 crappos from Walmart. A friend gave me his collection which includes a Japanese import Desert Eagle which is an exact replica and needs to be recharged from a gas canister, sells for $120 online. I now also have an M9, MP5, M16A2, and FAMAS and all are extremely accurate out to about 15 yards.

If its a viable training solution, it could be a huge money saver for those of us without adequate funds to throw box after box of .40 downrange.

So...input?

Seriona

From a guy who airsofts my self. In terms of engagement and weight, the answer is no. Airsoft guns are lighter because of ammo, real steel is lead, airsoft is plastic. Plus your engagement for airsoft is half a football field at best. Any real firearms can easily beat that ten times over. Now as far as movement, aiming down sites, tactics training. ECT. Stuff like that, then yes, training is good in that sense.

Primus

Are airsoft guns really any good for training? The reason I ask is that some are the exact weight and size and extremely accurate, but I wonder if they do any harm since there's no recoil and they do not realistically function in the same manner as the actual firearms.

And I don't mean the $20 crappos from Walmart. A friend gave me his collection which includes a Japanese import Desert Eagle which is an exact replica and needs to be recharged from a gas canister, sells for $120 online. I now also have an M9, MP5, M16A2, and FAMAS and all are extremely accurate out to about 15 yards.

If its a viable training solution, it could be a huge money saver for those of us without adequate funds to throw box after box of .40 downrange.

So...input?

I've used paintballs (military), airsoft (PD), and simmunitions (PD). Simunitions are by far the best and most realistic.

We use airsoft fairly regularly and they are a good supplement to the others. It's good for force on force training on the cheap. Also not sure what models you use but the glock airsofts we use are exact replicas and are very close in weight. Also recharge with o2, and use BBs.

I would say it depends on WHAT type of training. Force on force/use of force? Yes most definitely. Actual marksmanship/reloading/ handling drills? Not so much.

Again, it is definitely a good tool/option for training. But needs to be supplemented with real thing (real ammo range). Nothing replicates bullets like.... Well bullets.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

wimwag

I've used paintballs (military), airsoft (PD), and simmunitions (PD). Simunitions are by far the best and most realistic.

We use airsoft fairly regularly and they are a good supplement to the others. It's good for force on force training on the cheap. Also not sure what models you use but the glock airsofts we use are exact replicas and are very close in weight. Also recharge with o2, and use BBs.

I would say it depends on WHAT type of training. Force on force/use of force? Yes most definitely. Actual marksmanship/reloading/ handling drills? Not so much.

Again, it is definitely a good tool/option for training. But needs to be supplemented with real thing (real ammo range). Nothing replicates bullets like.... Well bullets.

Yeah I've used simunitions too...way way way out of my budget. what I have is all spring loaded except the Desert Eagle, which feels like melonite and is exact weight and balance of the real thing and needs an R134a recharge canister...which I believe is the same stuff I put in my truck's A/C...

My kids are amazed that I can draw, aim and down a 2 inch tall metal figuring from 20 feet in an instant. But yeah i get the point about it not being good for marksmanship.

One thing I've noticed now that I'm paying attention and not just popping BBs at toys...with these particular airsoft guns, there's almost no bullet drop. At that rage from my EDC I've got about a half inch drop. Don't know why this thought never occurred to me before.

For training my dog to grab the gun and jerk on command...broken airsoft guns are great but I need to use some welding gloves. Ouch.

Rusty Young Man

So...input?

Just throwing out my $.2 here, but I'd argue for the use of CO2 BLOW-BACK operation pistols being at least somewhat useful as a training tool (seeing as the cost is significantly reduced for us on a very tight budget).
Is it ideal? No because only perfect practice makes perfect. But the blow-back simulates some of the perceived recoil of real firearms.

Here is an example of a CO2 blow-back operation 1911 in the GI configuration (see the recoil at 2:32):
[video=youtube;vt1EOeQDA28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1EOeQDA28[/video]
Using this particular model, quasi-realistic target practice could take place if the magazines were only loaded up with 7 BBs (or more if you use non-GI capacity magazines), mimicking the capacity of your carry gun.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

+1

arizonaopa

Excuse my ignorance

I am a bit confused by this thread. The thread asks about airsoft guns and rifles, yet I see several replies about using CO2 charging weapons. I thought that airsoft guns fired small plastic types pellets using springloaded guns with an orange tip on the barrel. When I hear CO2, I think about air guns and rifles. Is there a difference that I don't understand?

Seriona

Airsoft guns are "firearms" that shoot plastic though some you can put metal rounds in. They use spring, electric, or gas.

WalkingWolf

Dry firing a gun is probably the best training for accuracy. Add a actual projectile makes it even better. The lower recoil actually helps find weakness in grip, trigger control, and stance. All done at a lower cost and safer than an actual firearm. Airsoft are also great for teaching firearm safety, and handling.

Good quality airsoft are all around a great tool.

And just how likely are 50 yard firefights?

You can use propane gas, just need a adapter and some lube.

Last edited:

canvasbck

To qualify, my training is mainly for IDPA and not necessarily for tactical purposes. I have found that plain old dry firing of the actual weapon that you plan to use, with NO AMMO IN THE ROOM and multiple checks to verify an empty weapon, has been the best training that I have gotten short of live fire training. I have not had the opportunity to train with simunitions and don't think it would be beneficial for the type of training that I am doing. Guessing it is excellent for tactical training. Even with the safety checks, dry firing must be done when you are alone and the weapon still should never be pointed at anything living!!!!

In my experience, use of an airsoft has not been as beneficial as dry fire of the actual weapon. It's not the same trigger, weight distribution, ect.

WalkingWolf

To qualify, my training is mainly for IDPA and not necessarily for tactical purposes. I have found that plain old dry firing of the actual weapon that you plan to use, with NO AMMO IN THE ROOM and multiple checks to verify an empty weapon, has been the best training that I have gotten short of live fire training. I have not had the opportunity to train with simunitions and don't think it would be beneficial for the type of training that I am doing. Guessing it is excellent for tactical training. Even with the safety checks, dry firing must be done when you are alone and the weapon still should never be pointed at anything living!!!!

In my experience, use of an airsoft has not been as beneficial as dry fire of the actual weapon. It's not the same trigger, weight distribution, ect.

Dry fire exercise with a Glock or similar gun is sort of a pain. And could teach muscle memory that would be bad in an actual encounter. That is why Glock sells a expensive dry fire gun, though I have heard that a company sells a dry fire trigger for the Glock.

canvasbck

Dry fire exercise with a Glock or similar gun is sort of a pain. And could teach muscle memory that would be bad in an actual encounter. That is why Glock sells a expensive dry fire gun, though I have heard that a company sells a dry fire trigger for the Glock.

Im using an M&P, so yeah similar to the Glock. Proper training and practice on trigger control and finger placement reduces the risk of training bad muscle memory. As I said, I'm not training for tactical, I'm training for IDPA, so it's a bit different. Only getting a single striker drop per string is different than live fire, but still good training for transisions, draws, slide lock reloads, etc.