• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW holder killed in the Las Vegas shooting

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I do not care for the political correctness. I will kill if my hand is forced/

Political correctness has nothing to do with it.

Our INTENT is to stop. We just use "deadly force" to do it, and it may kill, but would be justified if it did.

Primus

Political correctness has nothing to do with it.

Our INTENT is to stop. We just use "deadly force" to do it, and it may kill, but would be justified if it did.

Well said. Difference between aggressor and victim/defender.

"I shot him in the face because I was scared" is different then "I drew and shot center mass to stop him from attacking me"

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

()pen(arry

I do not care for the political correctness. I will kill if my hand is forced/
You've completely misunderstood. There was nothing politically correct about what I said. Only a sociopath has the objective of killing. The purpose of employing deadly force is to stop the offense or threat of offense against liberty, when justified. Whether the offender dies as a result of the deadly force is a curious detail of the incident.

I think you need to reevaluate your purpose for carrying. It sounds like you might harbor a vigilante fantasy. Go in front of a jury (and if you kill someone, even in self-defense, you will) and they'll crucify you for your attitude.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I agree, WA allows the right to defend others which means that if I see someones life in danger, I can legally kill the attacker. Personally, I am not going to go and solve the problem myself unless of course that problems comes to me.

You mean you can legally use deadly force. We do not shoot in order to kill; we shoot in order to stop the threat. That distinction is vital.

This is easy for you to say. This is not always as easy to live with. Defending yourself is vital, but taking a life has repercussions that last years and years. The legal system will take you for a ride first if you have not been injured. After that it will be your heart/brain that will have to deal with a death. I hear a lot of people saying "I will kill" but not any who have said "I have killed". I do not recommend looking for the experience, training will win out at the end of the day and you may survive, but it will come with baggage.

sudden valley gunner

This is easy for you to say. This is not always as easy to live with. Defending yourself is vital, but taking a life has repercussions that last years and years. The legal system will take you for a ride first if you have not been injured. After that it will be your heart/brain that will have to deal with a death. I hear a lot of people saying "I will kill" but not any who have said "I have killed". I do not recommend looking for the experience, training will win out at the end of the day and you may survive, but it will come with baggage.

Well said!

Dave_pro2a

"Past performance does not predict future performance/results."

But yeah, most bravado spouting internet dudes have no idea the consequences: legal or emotional.

Grim_Night

Thanks MSG for stating this. This is exactly how I feel. I personally hope that I will never have to take the life of another, but if it comes down to protecting myself or somebody I care about from harm, I *hope* I can muster up the courage and do what is needed. The big question is what will I do afterwards... I know that it will change my life.

acmariner99

Thanks MSG for stating this. This is exactly how I feel. I personally hope that I will never have to take the life of another, but if it comes down to protecting myself or somebody I care about from harm, I *hope* I can muster up the courage and do what is needed. The big question is what will I do afterwards... I know that it will change my life.

My sentiment has been that I could live with the consequences of using force if I had to more than the consequences of doing nothing - lesser of two evils if I ever heard it. Of course that is not a sentiment I wish to test.

I've also thought that I'd be more afraid of the aftermath than the incident itself.

JoeSparky

Centurion
As a poster on another firearms rights State forum has said--- Not an exact quote but I believe it is close enough to convey his feelings on this topic.

"I will only use potentially deadly force when the possible consequences of life in prison and or bankruptcy is WORSE than the consequences of DOING nothing."

Personally, as has been posted earllier---

I hope to never be forced to take actions that may potentially end the mortal existence of another. I mentioned this just 2 days ago at HOME DEPOT to a store employee who thanked me for carrying. I truly hope I can carry my firearm/defensive tool for 20 years or more and never need it. But, I'll rue the day I actually do need it and don't have it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You mean you can legally use deadly force. We do not shoot in order to kill; we shoot in order to stop the threat. That distinction is vital.

Anytime I am shooting at someone, I intend on killing them....not "wing them". I think if accomplished then most of the time the threat would be taken care of.

I think everyone would try to kill a threat when they discharge a firearm at someone.

EMNofSeattle

Seriona has a good question. I, and my Sweet Baboo, have always been the ones to head to the gunfire, not away from it. Weather a vehicle accident or actual gunfire, I head into the mix.

I have said this before, Citizenship is a Verb.

I really don't want to speculate what I would do because I've never been in gun battle, I can't really honestly say what I would do, I would like to think I would intervene...

To address another poster, one should always maintain SA. But my guess is the armed woman was out of left field...... I think a lot of men underestimate women's ability to be a threat.....

Shooting anywhere in a retail store, other then say like the indoor shooting lanes at bass pro shop or something like that, is a threat.....

Last edited: