• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW holder killed in the Las Vegas shooting

WalkingWolf

IIRC, the retired gov't employee in Michigan(?) a few years ago waited for a couple of teens who broke into his house. After shooting them with a .22, he finished them (or at least 1) with a head shot. The whole incident was a little off-kilter, and the follow-up shot(s) weren't helping his defense.

I believe a pharmacist got convicted for finishing off a armed robber.

Dave_pro2a

IIRC, the retired gov't employee in Michigan(?) a few years ago waited for a couple of teens who broke into his house. After shooting them with a .22, he finished them (or at least 1) with a head shot. The whole incident was a little off-kilter, and the follow-up shot(s) weren't helping his defense.

Was that Deatwish part I, II, III, IV, V, or VI?

Oh never mind, that was in every Deathwish movie.

Death%20Wish%2021.JPG

MontanaResident

From what I read the person could have left safely but chose to get into the mix. I made the decision that when I carry it is for the safety and security of myself and family. For everyone else, they should carry or choose something else to protect themselves, it isnt my responsibility, same as how my safety is not the leo's responsibility. If I was in the ccw-ers shoes, I would have gotten out but I applaud his effort to confront the danger.

Carry pistols are for self defense. Protect yourself!

Wanna be a hero, join the Army and get your naive ass killed in a foreign nation. You'll get a flag draped coffin and a posthumous medal that your mother can nail over the family photo over the hallway thermostat.

Dave_pro2a

Wanna be a hero, join the Army and get your naive ass killed in a foreign nation. You'll get a flag draped coffin and a posthumous medal that your mother can nail over the family photo over the hallway thermostat.

Or become a cop... end up having a heart attack on a Sunday when off the clock doing yard work... then the wife and family will enjoy your full "in the line of duty" benefits because your union claims the heart attack was due to 'work related stress' and not 12 donuts per day.

Seriona

If you have to fire upon a human the inevitable visit to a judge will occur. Now is the time to consider what you will say and how you will act. If you profess to be a "killer", the "other side" will glom onto that and paint you in a very, very bad light(Mr Zimmerman). If your "plan" is to "stop the threat" your intent is clearer. The first two rounds in my home defense shotgun are "rubber buck" for, as I will say to the judge, "Sir, I went out and hunted down a non-lethal round in order to "stop the threat" not "kill". The fact that RB rounds will shatter your chest at seven to ten feet is irrelevant, the intent is to be non-lethal. By "advertising" your intent to "kill" you increase the possibility of excessive jail time.

I was trained this way for many, many years and got quite good at it. Today, I cannot afford that much ammunition to train at that level. I no longer do the "head shot". Two, COM, will be a good start to stop a threat. Adding the HS may get an innocent injured and will be a hard target. With adrenalin pumping and stress increasing, that HS may be difficult and I do not recommend it to the untrained.

What Zimmerman following that kid was dumb but not illegal and at first, the police released him because they found that he use Stand Your Ground legal, which he did. The reason why he got arrested was because the state threw him under a bus to try and shut up protestors. Here in WA, we have De Facto Stand Your Ground. I like to think that if my hand is forced, I should be legally safe and if I have to go to court, I hope the judge acts accordingly without personal opinion clouding his/her judgment. I carry FMJ because if I have to shoot, I want to do it right the first time. People who shoot for the head first are actually your video gamers who think they know what they are doing. If I have to shoot, it will be a chest shot if I have the shoot. Plus Americans who are on jury almost always bring personal opinion into their judgment when they shouldn't which is why I feel like I am the few Americans who want to do jury study so I can help stop this problem. Under Oath, I will phrase it as such, self defense. But it wouldn't changed the fact that if s/he died, I DID kill. This is how I feel and I am sure most of you think I am stupid and if so, that's what it is.

Primus

Or become a cop... end up having a heart attack on a Sunday when off the clock doing yard work... then the wife and family will enjoy your full "in the line of duty" benefits because your union claims the heart attack was due to 'work related stress' and not 12 donuts per day.

Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

sudden valley gunner

Why should anyone have to join a government agency to be a hero?

Seriona

This is the core of your naivete. Why in the world would you even hope for this? I am not so foolish as to place my liberty in the hands of those with no incentive to protect it.

I don't hope for this, I am saying if it ever comes to this. I have openly said I don't trust the police, so why would I trust a judge?

sudden valley gunner

I don't hope for this, I am saying if it ever comes to this. I have openly said I don't trust the police, so why would I trust a judge?

Part of that distrust should be that you are careful how you word how you would react in self defense. Just saying.

Yes there is a great possibility of death, but always shoot to stop not shoot to kill.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What Zimmerman following that kid was dumb but not illegal and at first, the police released him because they found that he use Stand Your Ground legal, which he did...

No, he did NOT use SYG defense. It was a cop, of course, who WRONGLY used that phrase when talking to a reporter.

Seriona

He was following the kid, not the smartest thing but NOT illegal. Tres (Trey) attacked him to a point that he couldn't retreat.

kparker

Seriona,

"What Zimmerman following that kid was dumb but not illegal and at first, the police released him because they found that he use Stand Your Ground legal, which he did."

No they did not. The initial investigation concluded that Zimmerman was engaged in legitimate self-defense in responding to an assault on his person. Traditional concept of self-defense reaching back to the earliest Common Law; Stand Your Ground had no bearing on this.

DocWalker

Really? How ignorant can you get?

People don't join the military to be heroes or kill people and not everyone that defends their county is killed. I had my personal reasons for joining and spending three combat tours (2 in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan) but not to be a hero or kill people. As a medical guy I treated all American, Allies, locals, and even the enemy and not to be some sort of hero. I can tell you have never served and have no clue what it means to serve with your ignorant sentence.

I will tell you the closest to being killed by a bad guy didn't come from a war zone but from a gun free zone inside of a gun free zone here in the USA. 1994 at Fairchild AFB a gunman came into the hospital I worked and killed two of the Doctors I worked with and then kept killing and wounding. Some people ran some dove under chairs, some went and to hide. Some of us idiots even ran out to help others, a person can say they will do this or they would have done that but until you are in a situation you have no idea how you will react. I was stupid and ran outside a safe location to help people and in the process ran toward the gunman, I was lucky I didn't get killed but I was focused on people that were injured and didn't focus on the threat. I was young and stupid and yes I received a medal for heroism. I never displayed it nor talked about it until recently. When you are confronted with a situation be you armed or not you have no clue how you will react until it happens.

People need to stop arm-chair QBing his situation and let his family deal with his loss. He did what he did and you might have done something different or the same thing, I hope you never have to find out. I know he went down fighting and if I have to go then I would rather it be that way then to be slaughtered like the 1700 Iraqis were yesterday.

http://fairchildhospitalshooting.com/page3.php

http://time.com/#2878718/isis-claims-massacre-of-1700-iraqis/

Last edited: