• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inova Fairfax Medical Office Building

HPmatt

Yes here in Texas that is the only OC option we have. If you're gonna cite Texas law, would assume you would get Texas consequences.. All kidding aside since the property is not in Texas this citation is not legally enforceable in VA.

I would certainly let this dog lie and ignore it. Even though OC is legal in VA, looks to me the intent of this private property owner is against some form of armed personal protection so I would CC there and certainly NOT raise the issue they change their sign to cite correct VA statute for a GFZ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Let's reframe the question, and imagine a sign that reads:

"Pursuant to Section 13-3112, no permit is required to carry a concealed handgun on this property."

How do you think that would fly in Virginia? I'll tell you the answer: It would not, because the section of code under reference is Arizona code, and while perfectly legal and acceptable in Arizona, it does not apply to or supersede the Code of Virginia when you are in Virginia. Private property owners are not authorized by the Code of Virginia to allow visitors to ignore the CHP requirement.

TFred

Really? I was not aware of this. Suppose I visit a friend's jewelry store and do not have a permit (or one on my person) and he says, "Don't worry about it. This is my business and you can conceal here if you wish".

Or suppose I go over to a friend's house to watch a football game and he tells me that I can conceal my sidearm if I want to.

Are either of these scenarios illegal in Virginia if you are not carrying a CHP?

grylnsmn

That would most likely be Fairfax since Falls Church is tiny (2.2 square miles). If you are referring to the installation in Merrifield on Gallows Road, that's not Falls Church. That's Fairfax.

(corrections are welcome)
It is in Fairfax County, but it has a Falls Church mailing address, because it is served by a Falls Church post office.

I seem to recall that there was a thread about a similar sign posted at another building near Inova Fair Oaks Hospital.

Liberty-or-Death

SouthernBoy, I was referring to the headquarters: 8110 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church, VA 22042

μολών λαβέ

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Really? I was not aware of this. Suppose I visit a friend's jewelry store and do not have a permit (or one on my person) and he says, "Don't worry about it. This is my business and you can conceal here if you wish".

Or suppose I go over to a friend's house to watch a football game and he tells me that I can conceal my sidearm if I want to.

Are either of these scenarios illegal in Virginia if you are not carrying a CHP?

The law in VA gives me the ability to CC on my property with out a permit, it does not give me the authority to allow you to CC with out a permit. While I can say if you can or can't OC on my property.
18.2-308 B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.
There is no exemption in the law for "if given permission of property owner".

Again a place where Constitutional Carry would be great! :cry:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The law in VA gives me the ability to CC on my property with out a permit, it does not give me the authority to allow you to CC with out a permit. While I can say if you can or can't OC on my property.

Aaah, but not so.

Constitutional Carry still does not give one the right to violate the sanctity of another's private property w/o their permission.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Aaah, but not so.

Constitutional Carry still does not give one the right to violate the sanctity of another's private property w/o their permission.
No but my intent was I could give permission to CC on my property, not to carry on private property with out permission. Since constitutional carry allows CC with out a permit SouthernBoy's issue of being allowed to CC by a friend at friends residence wouldn't be a problem.
:banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No but my intent was I could give permission to CC on my property, not to carry on private property with out permission. Since constitutional carry allows CC with out a permit SouthernBoy's issue of being allowed to CC by a friend at friends residence wouldn't be a problem.
:banana:
Guess that I didn't connect the dots on that :(

You, of course, are correct
icon14.png

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Another aspect to this situation: The notice on the door refers ONLY to prohibiting Concealed Carry. This is another artifact that's most likely attributable to it being a Texas statute, since Open Carry is not allowed in Texas and they don't have to "prohibit" it. Since we are in Virginia, I wonder how they would react to Open Carry, since their notice does not prohibit that.

TFred

Another aspect to this situation: The notice on the door refers ONLY to prohibiting Concealed Carry. This is another artifact that's most likely attributable to it being a Texas statute, since Open Carry is not allowed in Texas and they don't have to "prohibit" it. Since we are in Virginia, I wonder how they would react to Open Carry, since their notice does not prohibit that.
Well, to me it's fairly obvious. The anti-gun person who directed the sign be put up is too ignorant of the laws to even understand what they are telling people to do. There is no conceivable scenario in my mind where a business would disallow concealed carry, and also welcome open carry, especially for a health care facility which justifies their rules with the requirements found in their accrediting process.

TFred

SouthernBoy

It is in Fairfax County, but it has a Falls Church mailing address, because it is served by a Falls Church post office.

I seem to recall that there was a thread about a similar sign posted at another building near Inova Fair Oaks Hospital.

While this is true, it is a bone of contention with many of those who grew up in the city of Falls Church.

SouthernBoy

So let me get this straight. If someone came onto my property with a visible sidearm and I said it was okay if he wanted to conceal it while on my property, and he had no CHP, he could conceal that sidearm as long as he remained on my property. Is that correct?

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

I would have to assume that since they specifically addressed concealed firearms, the intent (again specifics), was not to address those carried openly, otherwise they would have said as much. Now they might claim that they also meant openly carried arms, but that was not stated on the sign.

SouthernBoy

Well, to me it's fairly obvious. The anti-gun person who directed the sign be put up is too ignorant of the laws to even understand what they are telling people to do. There is no conceivable scenario in my mind where a business would disallow concealed carry, and also welcome open carry, especially for a health care facility which justifies their rules with the requirements found in their accrediting process.

TFred

This.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
So let me get this straight. If someone came onto my property with a visible sidearm and I said it was okay if he wanted to conceal it while on my property, and he had no CHP, he could conceal that sidearm as long as he remained on my property. Is that correct?
No you cannot give him permission to CC on your property unless he has a CC permit!

As I stated in post #27
The law in VA gives me the ability to CC on my property without a permit, it does not give me the authority to allow you to CC without a permit. While I can say if you can or can't OC on my property.

See 18.2-308 B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

SouthernBoy

No you cannot give him permission to CC on your property unless he has a CC permit!

As I stated in post #27

See 18.2-308 B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

Thank you, sir. Clearly I had a bit of confusion but you cleared it up just fine. I don't agree with such a law because it is my property, but that's another matter.