• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SDA License Instructors/Classes Norman area?

Elm Creek Smith

My niece is buying her husband a handgun for Father's Day (his first handgun and first Father's Day). They went looking, and he liked the Ruger SR-40c. Now, they're going to need Handgun License training so he can carry. They asked me for a recommendation for "someone who is good." My problem is I don't know any instructors in that area of the state. So, any recommendations, contact information, and prices of the training, and is there a discount if both of them take the class? (Doesn't hurt to ask.) My niece has a .357 Magnum S&W Model 640 that she currently doesn't carry. I don't want to just send them off to H&H Gun Range in OKC because I know where it is, but if they are good to go I'd like to know that as well.

Thanks, folks!

Mixael

H&H is where I took my class. I thought it was a good one. Also, they invite you to come back at any time for a no-cost refresher, asking that you only give them a call to let them know. (space is the reason I think, but they did say that they PREFER you do, but you don't gotta).

My cousin got his at a place in Yukon, I think, and he enjoyed it there. I'd have to find a time to get him on the phone to find out the details, though.

Wish I could be of more help, but those are the only ones I have ANY knowledge of.

Elm Creek Smith

Thanks, Mixael. Just trying to help them out. If you can talk to your cousin before I end this thread, I'd appreciate hearing where he took his class.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The amount of information gained in a CCW class is minimal - reading the manual to the firearm gives better information.

I would go for cheap cheap cheap to just get the permit; want detailed training? Seek after permit is obtained.

The requirement for a class is just BS , a hurdle one must pass to carry per their rules.

Glock 1st fan

ELM I teach in the Tulsa area and the Moore area. Me and my girlfriend team teach. Your welcome to have them come to a class sometime!

Glock 1st fan

The amount of information gained in a CCW class is minimal - reading the manual to the firearm gives better information.

I would go for cheap cheap cheap to just get the permit; want detailed training? Seek after permit is obtained.

The requirement for a class is just BS , a hurdle one must pass to carry per their rules.

It depends on the instructor and the student. I teach some minimal information classes that meet the requirements simply because the student is very knowledgeable. For example a former police officer or former military service member. I also tailor classes to add more for students who want more information.

I do agree though that for the most part 8 hours of class with the requirements that the SDA has simply is not enough time to do much more then get your feet wet.