• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chief Justice of the Virginia Supreme Court Retiring

TFred

How do we get new ones? Hopefully not appointed by McAuliffe!

Va. Supreme Court Chief Justice Cynthia Kinser retiring

RICHMOND -- Cynthia D. Kinser, chief justice of the Virginia Supreme Court, is retiring this year after more than 16 years on the court.

Kinser is the 25th chief justice of the court and the first woman to hold the post on the seven-member court, which has two other female justices. No resignation date was included in a two-paragraph announcement from the court.

A resident of Lee County, Kinser was appointed to the court in 1997 by former law school classmate Gov. George Allen to fill an unexpired term and then elected to her first 12-year term in 1998 by the General Assembly and again in 2010.​

TFred

Blk97F150

From Wikipedia:

The court presently is made up of seven justices,[28] each elected by a majority vote of both houses of the General Assembly for a term of twelve years.[29] To be eligible for election, a candidate must be a resident of Virginia and must have been a member of the Virginia State Bar for at least five years.[29] Vacancies on the court occurring between sessions of the General Assembly may be filled by the Governor for a term expiring thirty days after the commencement of the next session of the General Assembly.[29]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_Virginia#Current_Composition_of_the_Court

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
How do we nominate Dan Hawes!?

TFred

Call your Delegate and Senator.

stay safe.

Far be it from me to arbitrarily limit a good man's chances for advancement, but getting gun-rights-advocate-attorney Hawes a position on the bench, where he would be unavailable to defend those of us in the Commonwealth who run afoul of badge-heavy LEOs would be, IMHO, a terrible mistake. I think he is far too valuable doing what he currently does to be 'elevated' to this judgeship.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Without going into details, I have reason to believe that Dan may not want the position.

There are other good attorneys out there - even though they do not necessarily specialize in RKBA issues.

stay safe.