Thread: James v ACoE

James v ACoE

By Rhonda Cook
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Paulding County man and a gun rights group have filed a lawsuit to force the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to allow firearms at Lake Allatoona campgrounds and on the boat ramp and at other lakes operated by the federal agency.

The suit filed Friday said the decision by the commander of the district that governs Allatoona and other lakes in the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint River Basin was unconstitutional when he denied David James’ request to be allowed to bring a gun with him on his frequent camping and boating trips to Lake Allatoona northwest of Atlanta.

... continued at the link above
    If I'm correct this will be James v. Army Corps of Engineers. And for those who recognize the name, the attorney is Georgia Carry's own John R. Monroe who is very active in the firearms rights community. Additional thread on Georgia Packing.Org.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 06-13-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Considering the decision of the Idaho case, I think the ACoE is up crap creek without so much as a rubber dinghy.

http://www.usrkba.org/images/pdf/coreofeng10132014.pdf

And I'm sorry, if a law or rule put in place by a federal authority is found unconstitutional in one state, then its unconstitutional EVERYWHERE, district be damned.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    Considering the decision of the Idaho case, I think the ACoE is up crap creek without so much as a rubber dinghy.

http://www.usrkba.org/images/pdf/coreofeng10132014.pdf

And I'm sorry, if a law or rule put in place by a federal authority is found unconstitutional in one state, then its unconstitutional EVERYWHERE, district be damned.
    That's not the way it works. One federal district can decide a case one way and a different federal district can decide a similar case in the opposite way. That's why the SCOTUS is the final arbiter of which decision should prevail.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Here is an idea. Stage a protest where notice is given that citizens will openly carry firearms onto corps of engineers land (not inside buildings, but just into the woods or something). Get enough people together so it happens on at least one property in every federal district in the nation. When nothing happens (because ACOE Rangers are NOT law enforcement and can't affect an arrest) then precedent is set and everyone will know their rule is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    That's not the way it works. One federal district can decide a case one way and a different federal district can decide a similar case in the opposite way. That's why the SCOTUS is the final arbiter of which decision should prevail.

Yeah... and that makes no sense at all. And I really like the idea CJasper had. That would be a good one to take on.