Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teen hospitalized for recording Cop -- "Know Your Rights" Rally June 16th

Teen hospitalized for recording Cop -- "Know Your Rights" Rally June 16th

Don't all cops know it's legal to record encounters in public? So why do citizens continue to get beat up?

Virginia Cop Strikes Teen with Baton for Video Recording, Hospitalizing him with Concussion
    A Virginia teen ended up hospitalized with a concussion Tuesday after police struck him on the side of the head with a baton for video recording them.

The video shows the cop asking his age before attacking the 19-year-old man, apparently figuring he can get away with doing that to an adult.

Devin Thomas was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, your typical contempt of cop charges.

Virginia Cop Block has organized a protest against the Petersburg Police Department on Monday:

Monday, June 16th we will rally outside of the Petersburg Courthouse (7 Courthouse Ave, Petersburg, VA 23803)
    at approximately 8am to hand out “Know Your Rights” information to folks going in the courthouse.

At approximately 9:30-9:45am we will walk around the block the Petersburg Police Department (37 E Tabb St, Petersburg, VA 23803) and walk up and down the side-walk with signs, and cameras pointed at the Police Station and any and all cops walking in and out and around the building. We will DEMAND accountability.

We will DEMAND that Detective Anthony Patterson be held accountable for his actions.

We will protest outside of the Petersburg Police Department from 10am to NOON.

Bring sings, mega-phones, cameras.

THIS WILL BE A PEACEFUL, NON-VIOLENT event.

Virginia Cop Block does NOT advocate violence, which is the sole purpose we are holding this rally. Just because you wear a badge does NOT give you the right to initiate force against peaceful people!

“Badges Don’t Grant Extra Rights”
    I wonder if it would help if gun owners attended -- we are all in this together.

As usual,

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    --deleted by moderator--.
    Your post is useless whereas this happened in Virginia. Go bother the CT folks with your "words of wisdom", as they have absolutely no value in Virginia.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-16-2014 at 12:12 AM.

--delted by Moderator--
    Except that your 'facts' have nothing to do with this thread, or this state's laws. (not to mention that you didn't provide a cite... but since we really don't care how you guys 'do it up North', nobody has asked). Go pollute a thread in the CT forum.

(Where's Peter when ya need him..... he always has such a way with words in these situations )
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-16-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Don't all cops know it's legal to record encounters in public? So why do citizens continue to get beat up?

Virginia Cop Strikes Teen with Baton for Video Recording, Hospitalizing him with Concussion

I wonder if it would help if gun owners attended -- we are all in this together.
    They certainly should know. Citizens continue to get beat up because there are still idiot cops with no self control. What they fail to realize is the same dumb cops who smash guys for videotaping are the reason cops get videotaped.... Kind of counter productive.

Just do your job like your supposed to and nothing to worry about getting videotaped.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    recording cops is a protected 1st Amendment Right.

Glik v. Cunniffe (1st Cir.), held that the First Amendment protects a right to openly videorecord and audiorecord police officers in public

1st Circuit Again

7th Circuit

The final link proves even states such a Illinois have no right to make the laws they do. Record at will and prepare to fight for that right in court. This doesnt violate rule 15 as it's been established by precedent the laws are illegal. Finally a reminder

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” (Marbury vs.Madison, 1803)
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    recording cops is a protected 1st Amendment Right.

Glik v. Cunniffe (1st Cir.), held that the First Amendment protects a right to openly videorecord and audiorecord police officers in public

1st Circuit Again

7th Circuit

The final link proves even states such a Illinois have no right to make the laws they do. Record at will and prepare to fight for that right in court. This doesnt violate rule 15 as it's been established by precedent the laws are illegal. Finally a reminder

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” (Marbury vs.Madison, 1803)
    +1 ... even though its not VA specific ... har har har

He knows he is useless

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Except that your 'facts' have nothing to do with this thread, or this state's laws. (not to mention that you didn't provide a cite... but since we really don't care how you guys 'do it up North', nobody has asked). Go pollute a thread in the CT forum.

(Where's Peter when ya need him..... he always has such a way with words in these situations )
    and his spews are worthless. Sadly, he just can't seem to understand his foolishness is unwanted. Fortunately, he lives up north with the rest of the deranged anti's.

See why i am pessimistic?

Most of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. This is one of the worst "back and forth" comments I have read in a long while. United we stand - Divided we fall. Does anyone doubt that this thread is an example of the latter? It is always beneficial to share certain State Laws with other State Laws. Let's work together, for crying out loud.
    How about if each of you APOLOGIZES for your childish responses. The one to do it first is the strongest.

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    +1 ... even though its not VA specific ... har har har
    I never got the tendency to think people should 'stay in there own states section' Some things like federal law are applicable nationally, even if some states have trouble understanding basic English

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    You're not going to find a lot of friendly back and forth on these forums. Somehow some people always seem to have some ax to grind. Has happened to me and others, some of whom have decided that there are better sites on which to post and learn. Granted, there are some good folks here but there are enough of the other kind to taint the mix.
    I think it's because of the difficulty in winning the battle. Think of what we have now and the ideal of all 50 states being constitutional carry. Some states like CT, NY and CA the idea is a long long way away. Others it's closer. In any case the battle is made a lot harder by recognizing laws that have been made and are being upheld without the right to do so. The idea is there but it certainly doesn't go nearly far enough. The police and governments should be regularly Kokesh'd into submission to We The People.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I do not see the evidence as indicated in the OP - IMO, too much happened off camera to come to any valid conclusions at this time.

This thread is about a Virginia incident and likely will be decided by Virginia laws.

The wiretapping law covers oral communications when the speakers have an "expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectations," Virginia Code § 19.2-61, But absent the speakers' justified expecation, the law does not apply. See Belmer v. Commonwealth. Therefore, you may be able to record in-person conversations occurring in a public place, such as a street or restaurant, without consent.
    http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Many thanks to the monitors

For keeping us in line and on topic.

Thanks Grapeshot. ;>)
    Last edited by va_tazdad; 06-16-2014 at 03:35 AM.

Assault with a deadly weapon.
    Assault, first degree, penalty.

565.050. 1. A person commits the crime of assault in the first degree if he attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to another person.

2. Assault in the first degree is a class B felony unless in the course thereof the actor inflicts serious physical injury on the victim in which case it is a class A felony.

Felonious restraint.

565.120. 1. A person commits the crime of felonious restraint if he knowingly restrains another unlawfully and without consent so as to interfere substantially with his liberty and exposes him to a substantial risk of serious physical injury.

2. Felonious restraint is a class C felony.

False imprisonment.

565.130. 1. A person commits the crime of false imprisonment if he knowingly restrains another unlawfully and without consent so as to interfere substantially with his liberty.

2. False imprisonment is a class A misdemeanor unless the person unlawfully restrained is removed from this state, in which case it is a class D felony.
    Prosecute that cop to the fullest extent of VA law.

Is it proper to strike the noodle...apparently so, in that LEA.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

WWBT was there

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I do not see the evidence as indicated in the OP - IMO, too much happened off camera to come to any valid conclusions at this time.

This thread is about a Virginia incident and likely will be decided by Virginia laws.

The wiretapping law covers oral communications when the speakers have an "expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectations," Virginia Code § 19.2-61, But absent the speakers' justified expecation, the law does not apply. See Belmer v. Commonwealth. Therefore, you may be able to record in-person conversations occurring in a public place, such as a street or restaurant, without consent.
    http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law
    I think that many people think a crime was committed. You're outnumbered on your conclusion this time Grape.

I would think that almost anytime a cop tries to grab your camera that its a crime.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I think that many people think a crime was committed. You're outnumbered on your conclusion this time Grape.

I would think that almost anytime a cop tries to grab your camera that its a crime.
    Didn't know this was up for a vote and I specifically said that there was not enough evidence to come to a conclusion.

Knee jerks no matter from what source are still knee jerks. I haven't a clue what the videographer may have done or why the officer responded thus.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Didn't know this was up for a vote and I specifically said that there was not enough evidence to come to a conclusion.

Knee jerks no matter from what source are still knee jerks. I haven't a clue what the videographer may have done or why the officer responded thus.
    LOL ... I specifically posted w/o using the term "vote" ... although we are all registered ...

The rules of evidence are lax on the forum ..

Right!!

Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    most of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. This is one of the worst "back and forth" comments i have read in a long while. United we stand - divided we fall. Does anyone doubt that this thread is an example of the latter? It is always beneficial to share certain state laws with other state laws. Let's work together, for crying out loud.
    How about if each of you apologizes for your childish responses. The one to do it first is the strongest.
    just as i thought

If a tree falls in the forest... does it really make a sound?

If a Northerner posts 'off topic' in the Virginia forum, does anyone really....

Never mind. I'll play nice.
    Last edited by Blk97F150; 06-17-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    What was the topic again?

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

very impressive

Quote Originally Posted by blk97f150 View Post
    if a tree falls in the forest... Does it really make a sound?

If a northerner posts 'off topic' in the virginia forum, does anyone really....

Never mind. I'll play nice.
    this is an excellent example of how not to move a discussion forward. What did it accomplish? Absolutely nothing! Kudos!! Ooffaahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't the first instance of "You're not from here, anyway." I've encountered here in the Virginia Forum.

I'm beginning to believe the first words the folks in this state read come after the "Location:" designator.

If it says anything other than "Virginia", everything else is ignored in favor of cooking up a good "What do you know anyway, you moron. You're not even from here." response.

Many of you are great to exchange ideas and dialogue with, but as with any other endeavor, all it takes is one or two self-absorbed asshats to begin to alter the perception that visitors to this forum begin to form stereotypes with.

As Open Carriers, you'd think folks would be cognizant of the image they are projecting.

Of course, nobody is likely to be reading this as they are probably busy typing words such as "Go get bent, ya' darned northerner. You're not even from here, so why are you getting involved?" or some other words to that effect.
    Last edited by Superlite27; 06-22-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    This isn't the first instance of "You're not from here, anyway." I've encountered here in the Virginia Forum.

I'm beginning to believe the first words the folks in this state read come after the "Location:" designator.

If it says anything other than "Virginia", everything else is ignored in favor of cooking up a good "What do you know anyway, you moron. You're not even from here." response.

Many of you are great to exchange ideas and dialogue with, but as with any other endeavor, all it takes is one or two self-absorbed asshats to begin to alter the perception that visitors to this forum begin to form stereotypes with.

As Open Carriers, you'd think folks would be cognizant of the image they are projecting.

Of course, nobody is likely to be reading this as they are probably busy typing words such as "Go get bent, ya' darned northerner. You're not even from here, so why are you getting involved?" or some other words to that effect.
    Actually thats not the case at all. Most in the Virginia forum welcome ON TOPIC discussion from people all over the country (or elsewhere). But unfortunately, it seems that at least a few of those who post from out of state can't seem to manage to stay on topic as it relates to Virginia, Virginia circumstances, or the original post (in the Virginia forum). There are a couple of 'repeat offenders' who are the worst regarding this. Its predictable. You can pretty much count on them posting something off-topic... and it gets tiring to those here in Virginia, who are following a specific thread that may affect them personally (because its specifically a Virginia based issue).

Hopefully I've explained that well enough.

Btw, welcome to the Virginia Forum!!

Nice try

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Actually thats not the case at all. Most in the Virginia forum welcome ON TOPIC discussion from people all over the country (or elsewhere). But unfortunately, it seems that at least a few of those who post from out of state can't seem to manage to stay on topic as it relates to Virginia, Virginia circumstances, or the original post (in the Virginia forum). There are a couple of 'repeat offenders' who are the worst regarding this. Its predictable. You can pretty much count on them posting something off-topic... and it gets tiring to those here in Virginia, who are following a specific thread that may affect them personally (because its specifically a Virginia based issue).

Hopefully I've explained that well enough.

Btw, welcome to the Virginia Forum!!
    BLK97F150, That was the worst case of trying to back pedal that I have seen in a very long time. You said, "Hopefully, I've explained that well enough." You have got to be kidding!!! Look, when you initially screw up, as you did, the best thing to do is say is something along the lines of "sorry, sometimes, I get a little too emotional" - the important thing is that we stick together (all 50 States) to achieve Constitutional Carry across the Good Ole' USA. Virginia has an awful lot to contribute to this Forum, and some awesome members. But remember, you do NOT have a monopoly. We can all learn from one another.
    Go Brat!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    BLK97F150, That was the worst case of trying to back pedal that I have seen in a very long time. You said, "Hopefully, I've explained that well enough." You have got to be kidding!!! Look, when you initially screw up, as you did, the best thing to do is say is something along the lines of "sorry, sometimes, I get a little too emotional" - the important thing is that we stick together (all 50 States) to achieve Constitutional Carry across the Good Ole' USA. Virginia has an awful lot to contribute to this Forum, and some awesome members. But remember, you do NOT have a monopoly. We can all learn from one another.
    Go Brat!!!!
    Go back and read this thread again in its entirety, and you will see (whether you choose to comprehend or not..), that the very first reply (now deleted) was off topic. After that, there are numerous examples of where both regular posters and a Mod made reference to getting back on topic... yet a couple of posters continued with their off topic diatribes.

A few examples where people tried to bring it back on topic:

"Your post is useless whereas this happened in Virginia"

"your "words of wisdom"...have absolutely no value in Virginia"

"Except that your 'facts' have nothing to do with this thread, or this state's laws."

"This thread is about a Virginia incident and likely will be decided by Virginia laws."
    And YES, there was references to them being from 'out of state'... thats because they provided answers that related to a different state, laws from a different state, and had no relevance to Virginia or the topic at hand in THIS thread. Had the posters keep their comments to either a general sense, or specifically about Virginia... nobody would mentioned the state they live in. Again, go back and read the thread... Primus posted, and his comments related to this topic in a general sense. He's 'out of state', and nobody said a thing to him since his comments were relevant to the topic being discussed. (Did I just take up for Primus.... Wow, how'd that happen? LOL! )

And of course... you seem to want to continue to keep this thread off topic after there have been numerous requests to keep it on topic. Maybe you can start your own thread, with your own topic (preferably in your own forum ).

Oh.. and finally, I agree.... GO BRAT!!!

personally i feel like if you post to a public board seen by the whole nation, then you will get comments from other states. this is a problem for all America (LE abusing their authority), and not just isolated to VA. but for the main part others should be respectful of the state where the post is.

what has happened to the officer? anything? has it been ruled a legitimate beating?
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast