• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teen hospitalized for recording Cop -- "Know Your Rights" Rally June 16th

Repeater

Don't all cops know it's legal to record encounters in public? So why do citizens continue to get beat up?

Virginia Cop Strikes Teen with Baton for Video Recording, Hospitalizing him with Concussion
A Virginia teen ended up hospitalized with a concussion Tuesday after police struck him on the side of the head with a baton for video recording them.

The video shows the cop asking his age before attacking the 19-year-old man, apparently figuring he can get away with doing that to an adult.

Devin Thomas was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, your typical contempt of cop charges.

Virginia Cop Block has organized a protest against the Petersburg Police Department on Monday:

Monday, June 16th we will rally outside of the Petersburg Courthouse (7 Courthouse Ave, Petersburg, VA 23803)
at approximately 8am to hand out “Know Your Rights” information to folks going in the courthouse.

At approximately 9:30-9:45am we will walk around the block the Petersburg Police Department (37 E Tabb St, Petersburg, VA 23803) and walk up and down the side-walk with signs, and cameras pointed at the Police Station and any and all cops walking in and out and around the building. We will DEMAND accountability.

We will DEMAND that Detective Anthony Patterson be held accountable for his actions.

We will protest outside of the Petersburg Police Department from 10am to NOON.

Bring sings, mega-phones, cameras.

THIS WILL BE A PEACEFUL, NON-VIOLENT event.

Virginia Cop Block does NOT advocate violence, which is the sole purpose we are holding this rally. Just because you wear a badge does NOT give you the right to initiate force against peaceful people!

“Badges Don’t Grant Extra Rights”

I wonder if it would help if gun owners attended -- we are all in this together.

Blk97F150

--delted by Moderator--

Except that your 'facts' have nothing to do with this thread, or this state's laws. (not to mention that you didn't provide a cite... but since we really don't care how you guys 'do it up North', nobody has asked). Go pollute a thread in the CT forum.

(Where's Peter when ya need him..... he always has such a way with words in these situations :p )

Last edited by a moderator:

Primus

Don't all cops know it's legal to record encounters in public? So why do citizens continue to get beat up?

Virginia Cop Strikes Teen with Baton for Video Recording, Hospitalizing him with Concussion

I wonder if it would help if gun owners attended -- we are all in this together.

They certainly should know. Citizens continue to get beat up because there are still idiot cops with no self control. What they fail to realize is the same dumb cops who smash guys for videotaping are the reason cops get videotaped.... Kind of counter productive.

Just do your job like your supposed to and nothing to worry about getting videotaped.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

rightwinglibertarian

recording cops is a protected 1st Amendment Right.

Glik v. Cunniffe (1st Cir.), held that the First Amendment protects a right to openly videorecord and audiorecord police officers in public

1st Circuit Again

7th Circuit

The final link proves even states such a Illinois have no right to make the laws they do. Record at will and prepare to fight for that right in court. This doesnt violate rule 15 as it's been established by precedent the laws are illegal. Finally a reminder

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” (Marbury vs.Madison, 1803)

davidmcbeth

Banned
recording cops is a protected 1st Amendment Right.

Glik v. Cunniffe (1st Cir.), held that the First Amendment protects a right to openly videorecord and audiorecord police officers in public

1st Circuit Again

7th Circuit

The final link proves even states such a Illinois have no right to make the laws they do. Record at will and prepare to fight for that right in court. This doesnt violate rule 15 as it's been established by precedent the laws are illegal. Finally a reminder

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” (Marbury vs.Madison, 1803)

+1 ... even though its not VA specific ... har har har

va_tazdad

He knows he is useless

Except that your 'facts' have nothing to do with this thread, or this state's laws. (not to mention that you didn't provide a cite... but since we really don't care how you guys 'do it up North', nobody has asked). Go pollute a thread in the CT forum.

(Where's Peter when ya need him..... he always has such a way with words in these situations :p )

and his spews are worthless. Sadly, he just can't seem to understand his foolishness is unwanted. Fortunately, he lives up north with the rest of the deranged anti's.

fjpro2a

See why i am pessimistic?

Most of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. This is one of the worst "back and forth" comments I have read in a long while. United we stand - Divided we fall. Does anyone doubt that this thread is an example of the latter? It is always beneficial to share certain State Laws with other State Laws. Let's work together, for crying out loud.
How about if each of you APOLOGIZES for your childish responses. The one to do it first is the strongest.

rightwinglibertarian

+1 ... even though its not VA specific ... har har har

I never got the tendency to think people should 'stay in there own states section' Some things like federal law are applicable nationally, even if some states have trouble understanding basic English

You're not going to find a lot of friendly back and forth on these forums. Somehow some people always seem to have some ax to grind. Has happened to me and others, some of whom have decided that there are better sites on which to post and learn. Granted, there are some good folks here but there are enough of the other kind to taint the mix.

I think it's because of the difficulty in winning the battle. Think of what we have now and the ideal of all 50 states being constitutional carry. Some states like CT, NY and CA the idea is a long long way away. Others it's closer. In any case the battle is made a lot harder by recognizing laws that have been made and are being upheld without the right to do so. The idea is there but it certainly doesn't go nearly far enough. The police and governments should be regularly Kokesh'd into submission to We The People.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I do not see the evidence as indicated in the OP - IMO, too much happened off camera to come to any valid conclusions at this time.

This thread is about a Virginia incident and likely will be decided by Virginia laws.

The wiretapping law covers oral communications when the speakers have an "expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectations," Virginia Code § 19.2-61, But absent the speakers' justified expecation, the law does not apply. See Belmer v. Commonwealth. Therefore, you may be able to record in-person conversations occurring in a public place, such as a street or restaurant, without consent.
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

OC for ME

Assault with a deadly weapon.
Assault, first degree, penalty.

565.050. 1. A person commits the crime of assault in the first degree if he attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to another person.

2. Assault in the first degree is a class B felony unless in the course thereof the actor inflicts serious physical injury on the victim in which case it is a class A felony.

Felonious restraint.

565.120. 1. A person commits the crime of felonious restraint if he knowingly restrains another unlawfully and without consent so as to interfere substantially with his liberty and exposes him to a substantial risk of serious physical injury.

2. Felonious restraint is a class C felony.

False imprisonment.

565.130. 1. A person commits the crime of false imprisonment if he knowingly restrains another unlawfully and without consent so as to interfere substantially with his liberty.

2. False imprisonment is a class A misdemeanor unless the person unlawfully restrained is removed from this state, in which case it is a class D felony.
Prosecute that cop to the fullest extent of VA law.

Is it proper to strike the noodle...apparently so, in that LEA.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I do not see the evidence as indicated in the OP - IMO, too much happened off camera to come to any valid conclusions at this time.

This thread is about a Virginia incident and likely will be decided by Virginia laws.

The wiretapping law covers oral communications when the speakers have an "expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectations," Virginia Code § 19.2-61, But absent the speakers' justified expecation, the law does not apply. See Belmer v. Commonwealth. Therefore, you may be able to record in-person conversations occurring in a public place, such as a street or restaurant, without consent.
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

I think that many people think a crime was committed. You're outnumbered on your conclusion this time Grape.

I would think that almost anytime a cop tries to grab your camera that its a crime.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think that many people think a crime was committed. You're outnumbered on your conclusion this time Grape.

I would think that almost anytime a cop tries to grab your camera that its a crime.
Didn't know this was up for a vote and I specifically said that there was not enough evidence to come to a conclusion.

Knee jerks no matter from what source are still knee jerks. I haven't a clue what the videographer may have done or why the officer responded thus.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Didn't know this was up for a vote and I specifically said that there was not enough evidence to come to a conclusion.

Knee jerks no matter from what source are still knee jerks. I haven't a clue what the videographer may have done or why the officer responded thus.

LOL ... I specifically posted w/o using the term "vote" ... although we are all registered ...

The rules of evidence are lax on the forum ..

fjpro2a

Right!!

most of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. This is one of the worst "back and forth" comments i have read in a long while. United we stand - divided we fall. Does anyone doubt that this thread is an example of the latter? It is always beneficial to share certain state laws with other state laws. Let's work together, for crying out loud.
How about if each of you apologizes for your childish responses. The one to do it first is the strongest.
just as i thought

Blk97F150

If a tree falls in the forest... does it really make a sound?

If a Northerner posts 'off topic' in the Virginia forum, does anyone really....

Never mind. I'll play nice. :p

Last edited:

fjpro2a

very impressive

if a tree falls in the forest... Does it really make a sound?

If a northerner posts 'off topic' in the virginia forum, does anyone really....

Never mind. I'll play nice. :p

this is an excellent example of how not to move a discussion forward. What did it accomplish? Absolutely nothing! Kudos!! Ooffaahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!