Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Open carry in asheville

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    13

    Open carry in asheville

    Hey all just got my handgun a few days ago and am looking forward to joining the oc ranks, I was wondering if any of y'all had experience ( good or bad ) in asheville. Since there seem to be a lot of anti gun people here I was hoping it wouldn't be to bad, any advice or tips would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    mebane, nc
    Posts
    10
    My thoughts are - get used to the feeling of OC and get comfortable somewhere else - anywhere but Asheville or Chapel Hill. Once you get the hang of it and aren't nervous then venture into unfriendly territory

  3. #3
    Regular Member XD40sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    425
    Asheville proper is liberal loony land, I CC because of that. It is not my job to educate these bleeding heart liberal loons to the reality they ignore.

    The reality is, I do not recall ever seeing someone OC in Asheville, but I know a lot of people that CC.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    Though Asheville is populated with the "invading Northerners" any time I have open carried there it was positive. The usual "I didn't know that was legal", "Where I
    m from they would never allow that" and I will start open carrying too.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  5. #5
    Regular Member Custodian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Capital City of Oaks - Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    293

    Asheville is a go!

    I'm actually anxious to visit western NC. I haven't ever done so, but when I do, I'll be packing my trusty sidearm and cutblade.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    31
    I OC everywhere possible in Asheville. I live in Candler which I think is a very dangerous place to be when the sun goes down, and I get more pissy looks from wannabe thugs there than in Asheville.
    Last edited by tiggy1190; 07-06-2014 at 06:54 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggy1190 View Post
    I OC everywhere possible in Asheville. I live in Candler which I think is a very dangerous place to be when the sun goes down, and I get more pissy looks from wannabe thugs there than in Asheville.
    Must be Enka -Candler Just kidding we live in Madison County A.K.A. ( Bloody Madison ). I do work in the land of fruits and nuts from other states.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26
    I spent a day or two OC'ing downtown (near the thirsty monk south). I went into quite a few shops and walked from one place to another without a single ugly look or comment. But since I haven't spent much time there, I'll defer to others who have.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by tiedie View Post
    Must be Enka -Candler Just kidding we live in Madison County A.K.A. ( Bloody Madison ). I do work in the land of fruits and nuts from other states.
    We call it "Enka Stinka"

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    31
    Another plumber approached me in a parts house, and proceeded to be very hell bent that I carry concealed as he thought it was stupid, and illegal to OC. I gave him my .02 worth on it, and then he said, and I quote "the guy with the gun is usually the first one taken out". What a dumbass! He praised himself for having his CCHP. What I find disturbing is that he's a guy with a hidden gun that knows nothing of the laws. Why are there so many sh*t-house lawyers here that quote laws they have never even read? I keep a PDF of the NC laws in my phone just for this type of situation.
    Last edited by tiggy1190; 07-09-2014 at 05:56 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggy1190 View Post
    Another plumber approached me in a parts house, and proceeded to be very hell bent that I carry concealed as he thought it was stupid, and illegal to OC. I gave him my .02 worth on it, and then he said, and I quote "the guy with the gun is usually the first one taken out". What a dumbass! He praised himself for having his CCHP. What I find disturbing is that he's a guy with a hidden gun that knows nothing of the laws. Why are there so many sh*t-house lawyers here that quote laws they have never even read? I keep a PDF of the NC laws in my phone just for this type of situation.

    I hope that you give him your .02 worth in a polite manner and maybe informed him of this site.

    I found it is always better to let the other guy make a fool of himself then fall into the trap of confirming his bad attitude.

    Why are do so many people say things that are not correct because they do not take the time out to do the proper research it is much easier for them to quote what they have heard.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  12. #12
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,881
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggy1190 View Post
    Another plumber approached me in a parts house, and proceeded to be very hell bent that I carry concealed as he thought it was stupid, and illegal to OC. I gave him my .02 worth on it, and then he said, and I quote "the guy with the gun is usually the first one taken out". What a dumbass! He praised himself for having his CCHP. What I find disturbing is that he's a guy with a hidden gun that knows nothing of the laws. Why are there so many sh*t-house lawyers here that quote laws they have never even read? I keep a PDF of the NC laws in my phone just for this type of situation.
    liken it to how the majority of folk learn about sex when they are young...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    13

    Asheville oc

    Been carrying around a little here primarily just walmart or to my friends houses etc still little uncomfortable about carrying everywhere. Any y'all carry regularly around I so far haven't seen anyone but me haha

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I hope that you give him your .02 worth in a polite manner and maybe informed him of this site.

    I found it is always better to let the other guy make a fool of himself then fall into the trap of confirming his bad attitude.

    Why are do so many people say things that are not correct because they do not take the time out to do the proper research it is much easier for them to quote what they have heard.
    I am always polite as it gets their goat more than being an ass.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsh View Post
    Been carrying around a little here primarily just walmart or to my friends houses etc still little uncomfortable about carrying everywhere. Any y'all carry regularly around I so far haven't seen anyone but me haha
    Every day, every where possible, and every opportunity.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Robbinsville NC
    Posts
    41

    OC

    Interesting to see how the different parts of the country act. In some you see a gun you are ready to call the cops. In others, like here, you hear someone talking guns and they say they have one in the car and you say "can I see it". Or they are cc and they unload and show their gun to you. There are all kinds of guns here and when going to the range some people bring several of theirs along. Most of the guys in town have a gun in their vehicle.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville
    Posts
    66
    I have done it there when visiting and never had an issue but it doesn't mean you wont find one if you do it. Most people just don't notice but then again My weapon is small (notice I said weapon and not gun...lol) and my holster is black and kind of blends in. You may get more attention if you carry a 10 inch stainless .357.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    15

    I open carried in downtown Asheville yesterday with no drama

    Yesterday I was in Asheville for work, and I got there a few hours early so I spent the afternoon open carrying downtown. I sat in Pritchard Park for a while and walked all around the streets around Grove Arcade. Saturday afternoons in the summer are apparently pretty busy in Asheville, and there were tons of people on the street-- vendors, musicians, tourists, etc. I went into a few restaurants (none that served alcohol). I only saw one "no guns" sign, and that was on Grove Arcade. I had a few hippie stares as I walked around downtown, but nothing major. One conversation with a man who was surprised at the sight and thought that a license was necessary. Overall a good experience.

    BTW just so you can get a visual I am a mid 30s white male, very bohemian/artsy looking (In that regard I fit in in Asheville). I have crazy hair and was wearing tight jeans and a Star Trek tshirt along with my Makarov 9x18.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    31
    In the last two weeks I have been asked, "is that real", "hey man, what's with the pistol", "are you a detective", and "open carry much" (twice). So far seems as if everyone is on track with it. Had a convenient store clerk ask me when I started carrying, and said she wished Ida been there the night before when they had a bat swinging drunk terrorizing people in the parking lot. Let me give you a visual of myself. 42yo plumber that wears glue, and dirt stained jeans, two t-shirts, one tucked in the other out (so I don't show my best side while under a sink), and sometimes cargo shorts. Clean, tight military cut, and clean shaven face. I carry a full size .40 Beretta PX4 Storm in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. My father says I look like an off duty LEO doing home improvements. I get quite a look when asked if I'm a cop, and I respond "no, I'm a Plumber, why"? All encounters were in Candler. For those that don't know, Candler is on the western side of Asheville.
    Last edited by tiggy1190; 08-03-2014 at 05:53 AM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,881
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggy1190 View Post
    In the last two weeks I have been asked, "is that real", "hey man, what's with the pistol", "are you a detective", and "open carry much" (twice). So far seems as if everyone is on track with it. Had a convenient store clerk ask me when I started carrying, and said she wished Ida been there the night before when they had a bat swinging drunk terrorizing people in the parking lot. Let me give you a visual of myself. 42yo plumber that wears glue, and dirt stained jeans, two t-shirts, one tucked in the other out (so I don't show my best side while under a sink), and sometimes cargo shorts. Clean, tight military cut, and clean shaven face. I carry a full size .40 Beretta PX4 Storm in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. My father says I look like an off duty LEO doing home improvements. I get quite a look when asked if I'm a cop, and I respond "no, I'm a Plumber, why"? All encounters were in Candler. For those that don't know, Candler is on the western side of Asheville.
    hope you informed the clerk she should have called LE as you are afraid of drunk, bat swinging individuals...

    personally, i do not intercede in those kinda encounters except to be a darn good witness to the event.

    glad you are enjoying your OC'g experiences...you should put them in the main NC OC experience thead tho...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  21. #21
    Regular Member XD40sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    425
    Armed or not, if at all possible, you will not find me in a convenience store at night. That's called SA.

  22. #22
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    just wanted to say welcome to some of you new guys here, and also new to OC in NC. just relax and act like you would if you weren't carrying. be polite and informative to the public, so they will learn that we are not the crazy ones

    Quote Originally Posted by wardtom084 View Post
    Interesting to see how the different parts of the country act. In some you see a gun you are ready to call the cops. In others, like here, you hear someone talking guns and they say they have one in the car and you say "can I see it". Or they are cc and they unload and show their gun to you. There are all kinds of guns here and when going to the range some people bring several of theirs along. Most of the guys in town have a gun in their vehicle.
    it is good that most people in our state is very relaxed around firearms, but be sure that you don't get complacent. there are all kinds of reasons you don't handle or brandish your firearm in public. from the fat some will see you and not understand what is going on to LEO shooting you. please carry holstered and decline any body trying to get you to "pull your piece". remember keep it holstered till you need it

    Quote Originally Posted by Afrowq View Post
    Yesterday I was in Asheville for work, and I got there a few hours early so I spent the afternoon open carrying downtown. I sat in Pritchard Park for a while and walked all around the streets around Grove Arcade. Saturday afternoons in the summer are apparently pretty busy in Asheville, and there were tons of people on the street-- vendors, musicians, tourists, etc. I went into a few restaurants (none that served alcohol). I only saw one "no guns" sign, and that was on Grove Arcade. I had a few hippie stares as I walked around downtown, but nothing major. One conversation with a man who was surprised at the sight and thought that a license was necessary. Overall a good experience.

    BTW just so you can get a visual I am a mid 30s white male, very bohemian/artsy looking (In that regard I fit in in Asheville). I have crazy hair and was wearing tight jeans and a Star Trek tshirt along with my Makarov 9x18.
    just to let you know,that by state law if you are in a municipality park, you must conceal. if you are in a play ground or "athletic" field also, you are not allowed by state law to possess a gun. jury is still out weather or not they have to post anything.this is thanks to the GRNC, the best organization for CC.

    i am sure WOLF could chime in on this. what i understand is you can go open into a restaurant that serves alcohol if you have their permission. or you can go in if you hide it. if you have a permit. again thanks to GRNC
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  23. #23
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,881
    sorry papabear do you have cites for those claims ?

    yes, please give thanks to grnc for pushing an exclusive cc and automatic firearm agenda only to the general assembly and ignoring those citizens in this state who OC. we are blessed to have them looking out for those who CC, aren't we.

    that prayer should qualify for 15% off in W/S diner, shouldn't it?

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  24. #24
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Sorry SOLUS. Can't remember the number. it was the last omni bill. amendment to the carry in parks bill. also the new part of the carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. like i said i was hoping WALKING WOLF would chime in about that

    YUCK, who would want to go to W/S. I had to go to the hospital down there recently. did not want to go. did you go to the first Friday dinner for the triad?
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  25. #25
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,881
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    snip...

    just to let you know,that by state law if you are in a municipality park, you must conceal. if you are in a play ground or "athletic" field also, you are not allowed by state law to possess a gun. jury is still out weather or not they have to post anything.this is thanks to the GRNC, the best organization for CC.
    quote papa bear: sorry SOLUS. Can't remember the number. unquote

    well papa bear the reason you can't remember the number is because your perception is totally incorrect and as such you are providing misinformation to everyone.
    14-415.23. Statewide uniformity
    (a) snip
    (b) A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government.
    (c) For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following:
    (1) An athletic field, including any appurtenant facilities such as restrooms, during an organized athletic event if the field had been scheduled for use
    with the municipality or county office responsible for operation of the park or recreational area.

    (2) A swimming pool, including any appurtenant facilities used for dressing, storage of personal items, or other uses relating to the swimming pool.
    (3) A facility used for athletic events, including, but not limited to, a gymnasium

    and perhaps i missed in the statute where it stated OC is prohibited?

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 08-04-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •