• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in asheville

XD40sc

Armed or not, if at all possible, you will not find me in a convenience store at night. That's called SA.

papa bear

just wanted to say welcome to some of you new guys here, and also new to OC in NC. just relax and act like you would if you weren't carrying. be polite and informative to the public, so they will learn that we are not the crazy ones

Interesting to see how the different parts of the country act. In some you see a gun you are ready to call the cops. In others, like here, you hear someone talking guns and they say they have one in the car and you say "can I see it". Or they are cc and they unload and show their gun to you. There are all kinds of guns here and when going to the range some people bring several of theirs along. Most of the guys in town have a gun in their vehicle.

it is good that most people in our state is very relaxed around firearms, but be sure that you don't get complacent. there are all kinds of reasons you don't handle or brandish your firearm in public. from the fat some will see you and not understand what is going on to LEO shooting you. please carry holstered and decline any body trying to get you to "pull your piece". remember keep it holstered till you need it

Yesterday I was in Asheville for work, and I got there a few hours early so I spent the afternoon open carrying downtown. I sat in Pritchard Park for a while and walked all around the streets around Grove Arcade. Saturday afternoons in the summer are apparently pretty busy in Asheville, and there were tons of people on the street-- vendors, musicians, tourists, etc. I went into a few restaurants (none that served alcohol). I only saw one "no guns" sign, and that was on Grove Arcade. I had a few hippie stares as I walked around downtown, but nothing major. One conversation with a man who was surprised at the sight and thought that a license was necessary. Overall a good experience.

BTW just so you can get a visual I am a mid 30s white male, very bohemian/artsy looking (In that regard I fit in in Asheville). I have crazy hair and was wearing tight jeans and a Star Trek tshirt along with my Makarov 9x18.

just to let you know,that by state law if you are in a municipality park, you must conceal. if you are in a play ground or "athletic" field also, you are not allowed by state law to possess a gun. jury is still out weather or not they have to post anything.this is thanks to the GRNC, the best organization for CC.

i am sure WOLF could chime in on this. what i understand is you can go open into a restaurant that serves alcohol if you have their permission. or you can go in if you hide it. if you have a permit. again thanks to GRNC

solus

sorry papabear do you have cites for those claims ?

yes, please give thanks to grnc for pushing an exclusive cc and automatic firearm agenda only to the general assembly and ignoring those citizens in this state who OC. we are blessed to have them looking out for those who CC, aren't we.

that prayer should qualify for 15% off in W/S diner, shouldn't it?

ipse

papa bear

Sorry SOLUS. Can't remember the number. it was the last omni bill. amendment to the carry in parks bill. also the new part of the carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. like i said i was hoping WALKING WOLF would chime in about that

YUCK, who would want to go to W/S. I had to go to the hospital down there recently. did not want to go. did you go to the first Friday dinner for the triad?

solus

snip...

just to let you know,that by state law if you are in a municipality park, you must conceal. if you are in a play ground or "athletic" field also, you are not allowed by state law to possess a gun. jury is still out weather or not they have to post anything.this is thanks to the GRNC, the best organization for CC.

quote papa bear: sorry SOLUS. Can't remember the number. unquote

well papa bear the reason you can't remember the number is because your perception is totally incorrect and as such you are providing misinformation to everyone.
§ 14-415.23. Statewide uniformity
(a) snip
(b) A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following:
(1) An athletic field, including any appurtenant facilities such as restrooms, during an organized athletic event if the field had been scheduled for use
with the municipality or county office responsible for operation of the park or recreational area.

(2) A swimming pool, including any appurtenant facilities used for dressing, storage of personal items, or other uses relating to the swimming pool.
(3) A facility used for athletic events, including, but not limited to, a gymnasium

and perhaps i missed in the statute where it stated OC is prohibited?

ipse

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Remember, the above reference from Solus only applies to CC, of which the state has taken pre-emption. A municipality may adopt ordinances which also prohibit OC. You have to check each locale's ordinances to find this.

§ 160A-189. Firearms.

A city may by ordinance regulate, restrict, or prohibit the discharge of firearms at any time or place within the city except when used in defense of person or property or pursuant to lawful directions of law-enforcement officers, and may regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property. Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit a city's authority to take action under Article 1A of Chapter 166A of the General Statutes. (1971, c. 698, s. 1; 2012-12, s. 2(zz).)

The reference to Article 1A of Chapter 166A is for Emergency Management, and no longer affects carrying firearms.

solus

thanks BC for the cite as i had forgotten about 160A-189, however it is not the state, as papabear has stated, that is regulating the firearms in the municipality but rather the municipality per se.

ipse

Last edited:

papa bear

quote papa bear: sorry SOLUS. Can't remember the number. unquote

well papa bear the reason you can't remember the number is because your perception is totally incorrect and as such you are providing misinformation to everyone.
§ 14-415.23. Statewide uniformity
(a) snip
(b) A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following:
(1) An athletic field, including any appurtenant facilities such as restrooms, during an organized athletic event if the field had been scheduled for use
with the municipality or county office responsible for operation of the park or recreational area.

(2) A swimming pool, including any appurtenant facilities used for dressing, storage of personal items, or other uses relating to the swimming pool.
(3) A facility used for athletic events, including, but not limited to, a gymnasium

and perhaps i missed in the statute where it stated OC is prohibited?

ipse

I may have confused the Open carry in state parks

but now as i understand the ordnance that you posted. it claims that they can ban firearms in parks. isn't this what GRNC and Gun owners, were suing Forsyth county about? I thought that the laws where to keep locals from banning firearms in parks, except for playgrounds and athletic fields

EDIT; SOLUS how old is the one you posted? when i did some research, it came up as 2011. it has changed since then. still haven't found anything about OC in city Parks

Last edited:

solus

papabear, what the local entities did when the GA passed their uniformity bill was to 'relabel' their entire 'recreation' areas to assure they fell under firearm prohibition areas, thus meeting the state mandate. if mem serves, that is what GRNC went after to assure 'recreation' areas like playgrounds etc., which didn't meet state statute criteria, were taken out of the local ordinance(s) covering prohibition of firearms.

ipse

paul545

Figured I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one.
Going to start OCing in Asheville pretty soon, sick of waiting for my CC permit - I'll get it in 90-120 days from now, and I originally took my CC class in July. It's nuts.
I saw a guy OCing in the Weaverville Walmart the other day and it inspired me. Looked like a really decent guy with his family (Wonder if it was one of you?) and it struck me that it's infinitely better to OC and maybe have to deal with a few looks but be able to protect yourself and your family, than to just wait for my CC permit to eventually come in and walk around unarmed until then.

Anyway, you guys got any tips for me? Places not to go, things not to do, etc... Or just any stories from around here?

Thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Going to start OCing in Asheville pretty soon, sick of waiting for my CC permit - I'll get it in 90-120 days from now, and I originally took my CC class in July. It's nuts.
I saw a guy OCing in the Weaverville Walmart the other day and it inspired me. Looked like a really decent guy with his family (Wonder if it was one of you?) and it struck me that it's infinitely better to OC and maybe have to deal with a few looks but be able to protect yourself and your family, than to just wait for my CC permit to eventually come in and walk around unarmed until then.

Anyway, you guys got any tips for me? Places not to go, things not to do, etc... Or just any stories from around here?

Thanks!
Welcome to OCDO.

You might start here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer

Remember to trust but confirm.

solus

Thanks!

welcome, glad you found the forum

what type of firearm/rig do you plan on carrying or still awaiting to purchase one?

tho, curious what is the delay from your receiving your permit? delay in turning in the paperwk?

great you could discern the decent looking folk 'with their family' would they still be decent without family?

lpse

paul545

nah I didn't mean much by the family part. I only meant it hit home for me because it made me remember that there
are bigger concerns than wondering if other people would gawk at your OC -- like protecting those you care about.

Either Glock 19 or Sarsilmaz K2. Sarsilmaz I will probably only carry OWB. Glock 19 could be either IWB or OWB.

Nope. Delay was due to just long wait time / high demand / slow sheriff's office. I turned everything in well ahead of schedule.
When I went to get my fingerprints done the lady doing it said they have 25 appointment every day.

papa bear

nah I didn't mean much by the family part. I only meant it hit home for me because it made me remember that there
are bigger concerns than wondering if other people would gawk at your OC -- like protecting those you care about.

Either Glock 19 or Sarsilmaz K2. Sarsilmaz I will probably only carry OWB. Glock 19 could be either IWB or OWB.

Nope. Delay was due to just long wait time / high demand / slow sheriff's office. I turned everything in well ahead of schedule.
When I went to get my fingerprints done the lady doing it said they have 25 appointment every day.

Hey Paul, welcome to the forum. You should find good info here
The concealed carry group GRNC, has tables at the GUN show near you. Set up some.meet and greets and we will come
A few things come to mind.
Do not handle your firearm. Leave it alone. Remember you handling it draws attention and conveys a threat
Do not take it out of the holster, unless you need it
Do not make threats that you are armed. just be cool
Do not argue with people. Anger is considered as being a threat, and takes away any self defense you have.
Signs have no force.of law in NC. they must ask you to leave. You must go,or be charged with trespass. This applies weather they are posted or not

Just a few things off the top of my head. I am sure there are a lot more that people on here can tell you. Probably some that will correct me. But good luck, and I hope to see you one day

solus

now now papa, i understand that when dealing with the grnc gang you constantly need to reenforce basic guidance over and over, but the OP just completed his training and has yet to be corrupted by association yet, so might have retained the information you mention.:banana:

ipse

added, tho, to be honest could great mantra, like used in BSA,

Last edited:

Thanks!

Anyone OC in hendersonville? How's the experience been?