• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in asheville

Jsh

Hey all just got my handgun a few days ago and am looking forward to joining the oc ranks, I was wondering if any of y'all had experience ( good or bad ) in asheville. Since there seem to be a lot of anti gun people here I was hoping it wouldn't be to bad, any advice or tips would be appreciated.

salesguy

My thoughts are - get used to the feeling of OC and get comfortable somewhere else - anywhere but Asheville or Chapel Hill. Once you get the hang of it and aren't nervous then venture into unfriendly territory

XD40sc

Asheville proper is liberal loony land, I CC because of that. It is not my job to educate these bleeding heart liberal loons to the reality they ignore.

The reality is, I do not recall ever seeing someone OC in Asheville, but I know a lot of people that CC.

NC-Heel

Though Asheville is populated with the "invading Northerners" any time I have open carried there it was positive. The usual "I didn't know that was legal", "Where I
m from they would never allow that" and I will start open carrying too.

tiggy1190

I OC everywhere possible in Asheville. I live in Candler which I think is a very dangerous place to be when the sun goes down, and I get more pissy looks from wannabe thugs there than in Asheville.

Last edited:

tiedie

I OC everywhere possible in Asheville. I live in Candler which I think is a very dangerous place to be when the sun goes down, and I get more pissy looks from wannabe thugs there than in Asheville.
Must be Enka -Candler :uhoh: Just kidding we live in Madison County A.K.A. ( Bloody Madison ). I do work in the land of fruits and nuts from other states.

Aceman7496

I spent a day or two OC'ing downtown (near the thirsty monk south). I went into quite a few shops and walked from one place to another without a single ugly look or comment. But since I haven't spent much time there, I'll defer to others who have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tiggy1190

Another plumber approached me in a parts house, and proceeded to be very hell bent that I carry concealed as he thought it was stupid, and illegal to OC. I gave him my .02 worth on it, and then he said, and I quote "the guy with the gun is usually the first one taken out". What a dumbass! He praised himself for having his CCHP. What I find disturbing is that he's a guy with a hidden gun that knows nothing of the laws. Why are there so many sh*t-house lawyers here that quote laws they have never even read? I keep a PDF of the NC laws in my phone just for this type of situation.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Another plumber approached me in a parts house, and proceeded to be very hell bent that I carry concealed as he thought it was stupid, and illegal to OC. I gave him my .02 worth on it, and then he said, and I quote "the guy with the gun is usually the first one taken out". What a dumbass! He praised himself for having his CCHP. What I find disturbing is that he's a guy with a hidden gun that knows nothing of the laws. Why are there so many sh*t-house lawyers here that quote laws they have never even read? I keep a PDF of the NC laws in my phone just for this type of situation.

I hope that you give him your .02 worth in a polite manner and maybe informed him of this site.

I found it is always better to let the other guy make a fool of himself then fall into the trap of confirming his bad attitude.

Why are do so many people say things that are not correct because they do not take the time out to do the proper research it is much easier for them to quote what they have heard.

solus

liken it to how the majority of folk learn about sex when they are young...

ipse

Jsh

Asheville oc

Been carrying around a little here primarily just walmart or to my friends houses etc still little uncomfortable about carrying everywhere. Any y'all carry regularly around I so far haven't seen anyone but me haha

tiggy1190

I hope that you give him your .02 worth in a polite manner and maybe informed him of this site.

I found it is always better to let the other guy make a fool of himself then fall into the trap of confirming his bad attitude.

Why are do so many people say things that are not correct because they do not take the time out to do the proper research it is much easier for them to quote what they have heard.

I am always polite as it gets their goat more than being an ass. :D

tiggy1190

Been carrying around a little here primarily just walmart or to my friends houses etc still little uncomfortable about carrying everywhere. Any y'all carry regularly around I so far haven't seen anyone but me haha

Every day, every where possible, and every opportunity.

wardtom084

OC

Interesting to see how the different parts of the country act. In some you see a gun you are ready to call the cops. In others, like here, you hear someone talking guns and they say they have one in the car and you say "can I see it". Or they are cc and they unload and show their gun to you. There are all kinds of guns here and when going to the range some people bring several of theirs along. Most of the guys in town have a gun in their vehicle.

Chief1297

I have done it there when visiting and never had an issue but it doesn't mean you wont find one if you do it. Most people just don't notice but then again My weapon is small (notice I said weapon and not gun...lol) and my holster is black and kind of blends in. You may get more attention if you carry a 10 inch stainless .357.

Afrowq

I open carried in downtown Asheville yesterday with no drama

Yesterday I was in Asheville for work, and I got there a few hours early so I spent the afternoon open carrying downtown. I sat in Pritchard Park for a while and walked all around the streets around Grove Arcade. Saturday afternoons in the summer are apparently pretty busy in Asheville, and there were tons of people on the street-- vendors, musicians, tourists, etc. I went into a few restaurants (none that served alcohol). I only saw one "no guns" sign, and that was on Grove Arcade. I had a few hippie stares as I walked around downtown, but nothing major. One conversation with a man who was surprised at the sight and thought that a license was necessary. Overall a good experience.

BTW just so you can get a visual I am a mid 30s white male, very bohemian/artsy looking (In that regard I fit in in Asheville). I have crazy hair and was wearing tight jeans and a Star Trek tshirt along with my Makarov 9x18.

tiggy1190

In the last two weeks I have been asked, "is that real", "hey man, what's with the pistol", "are you a detective", and "open carry much" (twice). So far seems as if everyone is on track with it. Had a convenient store clerk ask me when I started carrying, and said she wished Ida been there the night before when they had a bat swinging drunk terrorizing people in the parking lot. Let me give you a visual of myself. 42yo plumber that wears glue, and dirt stained jeans, two t-shirts, one tucked in the other out (so I don't show my best side while under a sink), and sometimes cargo shorts. Clean, tight military cut, and clean shaven face. I carry a full size .40 Beretta PX4 Storm in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. My father says I look like an off duty LEO doing home improvements. I get quite a look when asked if I'm a cop, and I respond "no, I'm a Plumber, why"? :lol: All encounters were in Candler. For those that don't know, Candler is on the western side of Asheville.

Last edited:

solus

In the last two weeks I have been asked, "is that real", "hey man, what's with the pistol", "are you a detective", and "open carry much" (twice). So far seems as if everyone is on track with it. Had a convenient store clerk ask me when I started carrying, and said she wished Ida been there the night before when they had a bat swinging drunk terrorizing people in the parking lot. Let me give you a visual of myself. 42yo plumber that wears glue, and dirt stained jeans, two t-shirts, one tucked in the other out (so I don't show my best side while under a sink), and sometimes cargo shorts. Clean, tight military cut, and clean shaven face. I carry a full size .40 Beretta PX4 Storm in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. My father says I look like an off duty LEO doing home improvements. I get quite a look when asked if I'm a cop, and I respond "no, I'm a Plumber, why"? :lol: All encounters were in Candler. For those that don't know, Candler is on the western side of Asheville.

hope you informed the clerk she should have called LE as you are afraid of drunk, bat swinging individuals...:lol:

personally, i do not intercede in those kinda encounters except to be a darn good witness to the event.

glad you are enjoying your OC'g experiences...you should put them in the main NC OC experience thead tho...

ipse