Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Notices You Open Carrying? List your experiences.

Who Notices You Open Carrying? List your experiences.

I was in Sam's Club, carrying a Ruger P89. Not one single adult in the entire store noticed, or if they did, did not run screaming for the exit. However, one little boy, I would guess not more than two, glanced in my direction, looked away, and then snapped his head back! His eyes looked like a couple of saucers! I laughed and told him, "Yes, it is a gun. I wear it to keep myself, my wife, and children like you safe from bad guys." Cutest grin you ever saw on a little fellow. His mother laughed at his reaction and thanked me for speaking to him.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Every so often I will be standing somewhere, and someone will look at me, then start walking away very fast......

Which puzzles me because I always dress in a button shirt, tucked in, belt jeans or khakis, I am clean shaven with almost military regulation hair, so I don't think I look outwardly threatening......

Like a few weeks ago I was in a grocery store and some young woman with a baby in arms is in the bread aisle, and I'm picking up bagels, and so I turn to go to another aisle, she looks at me, then turns around and starts walking fast........ Don't understand it....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I've had all positive experiences from those that notice that I see looking or those that say something.
    Last edited by MontanaResident; 06-14-2014 at 05:46 PM.

I've had folks in stores, parking lots, and eateries, walk up and thank me for exercising the right to bear arms, including restaurant managers.

I've had somewhat unsavory folks suddenly decide there is somewhere else they really need to be... immediately!

I've had an irate woman in a local park call the police and become incensed when the cop stood at my side and told her she was wrong and she had no right to tell me to leave or to put my gun away... but if it bothered her so much she had the freedom to leave if she wanted.

And I've had untold many folks who noticed and just went on their way with nothing more than a glance at my sidearm. The unfortunate folks who's health requires using those motorized buggies in stores ALWAYS notice since the gun is at their eye level... yet there has never been any problems.

But the best part is when folks come up and ask about open carry wanting to know if they can do it too. I like those "teachable moments".
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Yesterday two women at a tattoo shop that asked me if I was a cop. I told them no and they just said "Cool. You can just carry a gun like that?" I affirmed it and the skinny one said she wanted to. Positive.

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Yesterday two women at a tattoo shop that asked me if I was a cop. I told them no and they just said "Cool. You can just carry a gun like that?" I affirmed it and the skinny one said she wanted to. Positive.
    Were they good looking? Photos or it didn't happen...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post

Seconded

I can't say for regular day to day handgun OC of course, being a Texan. Might go OC in Arkansas or Oklahoma of perhaps even Louisiana if I can. Hopefully Arkansas can clear up the matter of OC for their less intellectual DAs soon so everyone can do it without having to worry about a rouge prosecutor
    Advocate freedom please

Ohhh,, fun..

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Seconded

I can't say for regular day to day handgun OC of course, being a Texan. Might go OC in Arkansas or Oklahoma of perhaps even Louisiana if I can. Hopefully Arkansas can clear up the matter of OC for their less intellectual DAs soon so everyone can do it without having to worry about a rouge prosecutor
    I dont want to worry about a prosecutor either,,, but
    A "rouge" one may be nicer to look at than a "rogue" one...
    Look it up.... Its in the book.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Seconded

Move to Washington, the weathers nicer, we have open carry, and if you establish residency with all deliberate speed you can vote in time against the gun control initiative on the ballot.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Every so often I will be standing somewhere, and someone will look at me, then start walking away very fast......

Which puzzles me because I always dress in a button shirt, tucked in, belt jeans or khakis, I am clean shaven with almost military regulation hair, so I don't think I look outwardly threatening......

Like a few weeks ago I was in a grocery store and some young woman with a baby in arms is in the bread aisle, and I'm picking up bagels, and so I turn to go to another aisle, she looks at me, then turns around and starts walking fast........ Don't understand it....

You dress like Ted Bundy?.......
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

One was huuge and the other was kinda meh. The skinny one was wearing green pants.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    You dress like Ted Bundy?.......
    Well I am not really well read on bundy, that he killed some people and fried in floridas chair is about the extent of my knowledge.

I dress the way I do for comfort..... And I wear large button shirts so I can convince myself I am not as overweight as I really am......

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaResident View Post
    I've had all positive experiences from those that notice that I see looking or those that say something.
    What he said. One old man and one disguntled LEO were my only negs in the last five years of OC.

Primus, positives are so common here why take pics?

1245A defender, you may need one of these.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    In the years since I managed to escape from TPR of Maryland into the Commonwealth of Virginia, I have been an OCer. In all of my experiences, I have not had one negative comment, even though I am in Northern Virginia (affectionately called NoVA) which is populated with more liberals than real Virginians want to tolerate. (Most real Virginians believe that the 'real' Virginia goes no further north than Fredericksburg.)

Still, I labor in the OC vineyard in NoVA, sharing the image of a rather clean-cut 'oldster' that has a firearm on his hip. Here is what strikes me: Of all of the people who have commented on my firearm, all but one was a fellow gun owner who simply wanted to know about what I was carrying. The VAST majority of people are so situationally UNaware of their surroundings that they never see it. And that, my friends, is a striking difference between the sheep and the sheepdogs. The sheep pay no attention to their surroundings and are taken by surprise when something bad happens. The sheepdogs are VERY aware of everything that is going on around them, especially who is carrying what.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Many of the state fora have threads devoted to the OC experience. Seems to me (and I'm not keeping score) that most of the posts are reports of "I went X and nobody noticed/nobody freaked out" or "I went Y and soeone recognized the brand and model of handgun I was carrying and tried to tell me everything about it".

Some of us (me especially) have given up posting OC experiences unless it was to a place nobody else has been, or there was an exceptional (positive or negative) experience. Seriously, how many times do you want to read that I went to my favorite Chinese restaurant and the staff said - for the umpteenth time - that they feel safe because I am carryinging my gun? Or that I went grocery shopping and nobody noticed I was carrying?

The absence of blood overflowing the gutters, horses fainting and the women stampeding is absolutely deafening, innit?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Maybe it has nothing to do with the gun? Just Sayin`
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I dont want to worry about a prosecutor either,,, but
    A "rouge" one may be nicer to look at than a "rogue" one...
    Look it up.... Its in the book.
    Lol
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    He never said he was armed...

(And for those who are sensitive, yes, that was a joke.)

Hearing boring and nothing happening is good means we are winning isn't this what we have been fighting for.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Maybe I am more situationally aware....

NRA Member

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Maybe I am more situationally aware....
    I doubt it.

I notice People notice the gun all the time all though they are often very discreet about it. Sometimes they look back after I pass my other half or other friends tell me about the looks.

Rarely do people react how you describe. I don't think it's the gun.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 06-15-2014 at 10:46 PM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I doubt it.

I notice People notice the gun all the time all though they are often very discreet about it. Sometimes they look back after I pass my other half or other friends tell me about the looks.

Rarely do people react how you describe. I don't think it's the gun.
    It doesn't happen frequently, Ive seen it twice. Once at a bus stop once at a supermarket....

That's not the common reaction I see, most people either don't notice or care.

NRA Member

It doesn't happen frequently, Ive seen it twice. Once at a bus stop once at a supermarket....

That's not the common reaction I see, most people either don't notice or care.

Could be your age. How old are you? 5 years ago every anti went ballistic now I'm 30 and I get more positives than anything.

I just went up to show my new house (new to me: offer accepted, inspection tomorrow!!) to the relatives and decided to do some splorin in the new town and not a single person said anything about my carry. One employee at the grocery store watched me warily for a few minutes and relaxed when I yelled at my kid for shin bashing me with the shopping cart and a guy in a Gadsden hat did a double take and no more. High school kid at the checkout looked at it nonchalantly and asked where we were from. Niiicee.

They look at me not because of the sidearm, it's because I am brutally handsome Walsh, Frey and Henley wrote a song about me at one time
    Last edited by Bernymac; 06-16-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    One was huuge and the other was kinda meh. The skinny one was wearing green pants.
    Oh yeah, Baby. Them's is the one that don't shave their armpits.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast