• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Notices You Open Carrying? List your experiences.

Javelina

People don't see what they aren't use to looking for

I feel like the majority of people I come into contact with don't see my firearm simple because its not something someone is generally programmed to look for, I never looked for someone carrying before I started. To those who do see it I have semi-negative comments for the most part. I've had a guy walk into a Circle K and see my Glock and say loudly "Everyone has a gun nowadays!" and I've had the clerk at a Walgreens say "Don't bust a cap in me man!" (That irritated the shiit out of me). Out here in AZ though its not a huge deal, I have seen many unicorns in the short time that I have been carrying. Stay safe! ;)

wimwag

The new guy in paints at the Hudson WI Menards. First time in a long time that someone asked me if it was real. He said he was from Minnesota and from what I can tell, he accidentally swallowed the garbage they teach in public schools. He was nervous and visibly frightened at first but seemed to relax after showing me gallons upon gallons of Minwax. Hope he starts thinking for himself.

Then a new kid at the gun counter at Fleet Farm in Menomonie WI. He said he didn't know open carry was legal, we talked, shared hunting stories and talked guns and I made a new friend. :) Hope he stays. All the staff there are pretty cool. They let me test out holsters with my own hardware. And, yes, we clear it first.

Last edited:

wimwag

I feel like the majority of people I come into contact with don't see my firearm simple because its not something someone is generally programmed to look for, I never looked for someone carrying before I started. To those who do see it I have semi-negative comments for the most part. I've had a guy walk into a Circle K and see my Glock and say loudly "Everyone has a gun nowadays!" and I've had the clerk at a Walgreens say "Don't bust a cap in me man!" (That irritated the shiit out of me). Out here in AZ though its not a huge deal, I have seen many unicorns in the short time that I have been carrying. Stay safe! ;)

I rode a unicorn to the mall yesterday.

FlyBoy276

*chokes on drink laughing*

Redbaron007

Hmmmmm..........:confused:

:lol:

x1wildone

1-I was at a restaurant in Estes Park Co. with family. As I was paying the bill at counter another patron went looney tunes, (reminded me of Daffy Duck ) running in circles, when he noticed my pistol. This guy needs an evaluation.
2-Have had Costco employees comment to me on my choice of firearm. Very positive.
3-The most recent was at a Harley Davidson Dealership in Glenwood Springs Co. The manager was asked about the dealership firearms policy by another Chapter member during our meeting. This manager stated that he would not allow open carry in HIS store. And then proceeded to spew the anti O.C. rhetoric that is spread on the C.C. web sites. He also made other statements,that indicate he needs an education in Colorado laws.
During this diatribe of his I was standing next to him O.C. I even turned to make sure he could see this,if he cared to look.
I have O.C. in this dealership for years without any issues. I have O.C. while talking to this guy on previous visits and have not been informed of any issues.
He said he would allow C.C. in his store, and that he was not an anti gun nut. He backed this up by noting that he had named his Dealership get this. DOC HOLLIDAYS HARLEY DAVIDSON
I carry using a IWB full size M&P and sometimes OWB Kahr.
There will be more to this story but I have not had time to pursue it.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"Ahem.... ideally, NOBODY notices you." -- Dave Workman

No...ideally, EVERYONE notices you! ;-)

Remember, we're OC-ing, not CC-ing, and we need more people noticing.

D & E -- ONLY people who OC can do that...but not if no one notices!

Sadly, very few do.

[D & E = Desensitizing & Educating]

Last edited:

F350

Well; wife and I along with another couple went to a eating establishment called Spoons in Grand Junction, CO for breakfast a couple Sundays ago. The following edition of the local paper that runs the anonymous call in collum had one about some pantie wetter noticing a man at the counter with a holstered pistol and no badge or uniform and it made said pantie wetter "uncomfortable".

We were getting ready for a trip or I would have called in and explained the Colorado Constitution and invited said pantie wetter to move back to Kalifornia or where ever they came from.

Last edited:

jackrockblc

I open carry all the time when walking my dogs around my home area. A few have noticed, but only one person said anything - a smaller boy who was speaking Spanish who mentioned the word "pistola" (about the only word I understood). One guy likes to smoke by the pool area, and I have seen him watching me carefully multiple times. Others either haven't noticed, haven't cared, or just decided to not say anything.

One day, I was walking my dogs, and encountered a uniformed police officer. We chatted about the dogs, how "aggressive" they were (until they were petted by said officer), and we went on our way. No mention of the OC'd PPQ on my hip.

Over the weekend, I was in Grand Junction, training with a police officer down there. I OC'd at the Texas Roadhouse, the McDonald's and even at the hotel at which I was staying. The only "negative" I ran into was a woman who stopped in her tracks as if she was slapped when she saw my pistol while we were still just outside. I didn't say anything, but noticed her movements as she circumvented me. After that, we went inside, ate dinner, and had a good time. No nasty looks, no comments, nothing. I had actually started to feel like it was there all my life.

I still plan to CC when I get my permit, but my regularly-visited areas (like the dog walking path) will still be OC.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
jackrockblc,

Since you live in "Denver Metro," please try to educate any CC-ers you know re: WHY some people OC (even though most of us also have CC permits). We need DENVER residents who (can only) CC on "our" side if there is any hope of getting support/votes to change Denver from no OC to OC in the future -- since we "outsiders" NOT living in Denver can't vote/help on something specifically affecting Denver! So we need to reach Denver CC-ers somehow...people like you can help.

Also, please let CC-ers know about THIS FORUM -- even though it's an OC forum (specifically, the Colorado sub-forum, "Events" area)-- so they can find out about OC Get-Together Events posted there (and in the other 2 Colorado-specific online forums) that sometimes happen in the Denver area (though they're monthly in The Springs/Monument area) -- not IN Denver/Denver County, of course, but in the suburbs/towns around Denver proper.

For example, one event is coming up for late August in Broomfield (info TBA later). Another will be in Ken Caryl in early September (also TBA later). Both of these will be on a weekday afternoon, but otherwise, our more regular events (Colorado Springs & Monument) are usually held on Sunday afternoons. Same for Parker.

Besides OC-ers of course, CC-ers (and newbies as well) are ALWAYS invited to attend our events.

...so please check the Colorado "Events" area occasionally. :)

Last edited:

OC for ME

Seriously, about the only folks who notice are cops. Unfortunately I must rely upon their largesse as to whether or not they initiate contact with that evil gun nut.

shaun

A few weeks ago in Big R had a cutie chase me down on exit and give me a big hug and kiss on cheek thanking me for carrying. And the wife wonders why I open carry LOL

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
shaun,

You must be a young guy: I doubt she'd chase down some OC-ing old guy to "hug & kiss." ;-)

[Not mentioning any names re: who are Old Guys here though]

Now...about Big R: I've never been to one so I was thinking -- just in case I need any farm & ranch supplies you understand (even though living in an apartment) -- that maybe the next time I am near a Big R...

Last edited:

Kopis

Ive had a few cops notice, others didnt seem to care. One lady at starbucks asked my friend and i if we were LEOs, a few people have said "nice glock" and one security guard went crazy on me this weekend but the manager put him in his place.

On the whole though, 90% of the people who give me a take are people Im already keeping an eye on anyway (less than reputable people). People just going around their day to day business dont seem to notice at all.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

Ive had a few cops notice, others didnt seem to care. One lady at starbucks asked my friend and i if we were LEOs, a few people have said "nice glock" and one security guard went crazy on me this weekend but the manager put him in his place.

On the whole though, 90% of the people who give me a take are people Im already keeping an eye on anyway (less than reputable people). People just going around their day to day business dont seem to notice at all.

Never seen anyone OCing here in western Wisconsin. There is actually a sign saying guns welcome in the window of a tobacco shop dowtown but he isnt Constitutional carry. Believe there should be licences. Soon as I have the money i'm going to either Wiebke or Gander Mountain if I can't find a local person and get myself something cheap. May not keep it for long but just to carry and get used to it and get those in my area used to it for starters.