• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Instructor "what ifs" me

ron73440

I went to the S&D gun show in New Bern, NC on Saturday, I hate to disarm for a gun show but my sons really wanted to go.

There were some nice guns and accessories there and the usual group of booths. I entered a few raffles and bought both of my boys a knife.

One booth had a raffle for a free CC class and when the guy asked me if I wanted to enter, the conversation went like this:

Me: No, I carry open and don't want a permit
CC'er: Really, well what if the you go to CVS and the minimum wage worker freaks?
Me: I'll leave and contact management
CC'er: What if she calls the cops? (starting to get himself hyped up about something)
Me: Not breaking the law
CC'er: What if he doesn't know that and takes you to jail?
Me: I'll sue their asses
CC'er: well you be careful, that doesn't seem like a good idea to me
Me: I am, never had a problem(as I'm walking away, no patience for this)

It struck me as strange that a legal activity that doesn't affect him at all was such a big deal. He was a little agitated when he got into the "what if" scenario, but it could have been worse, I thought he was going to start with the "you'll be the first guy shot" thing.

My kids thought it was funny especially after I put it into the "two types of people"* discussion.

It was funny to me because I've seen these types of discussions on here, but this was my first experience in real life.

*There are two types of people, the ones who want to be left alone and the others who refuse to leave them alone. I always try to stay in the first group, but a lot of people jump back and forth depending on the issue at hand.(drugs, healthcare, guns, religous freedom and so on)
If it doesn't hurt anyone else I believe there is no reason to join the second group.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The permission slip is his rice bowl. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rice+Bowl

And disarming to go into a gun show has always amused me. Walk in totally disarmed. Stop off and buy a gun (or three). Head for the magazine guy's table. Then to the ammo dealers (no matter how overpriced they are, you are probably going to pick up at least one box, amirite?). Then to the holster vendors. Et voila! Armed!

And let's not forget the knives and machetes and kukris and bayonets and phoney katanas.

A guy, in 15 minutes (if the background check is slow) can go from nada to Mommys Demanding Attention's worst nightmare.:shocker: :D:banana::monkey:cool:

stay safe.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
His reasons to get a permit sounded pretty lame...

But one potentially not lame reason to get a CC permit is so that you can still legally carry in places your son might convince you to go that ban open carry.

Last edited:

ron73440

Skidmark, I agree it's pretty stupid, but it makes people feel better and that's what really matters.

Felid`Maximus, I just can't bring myself to ask permission on account of OC not being allowed, if you don't like OC, you don't like my money. I make an exception for the gun show because it counts as being educational and helps keep their interest in guns and freedom.

WalkingWolf

Skidmark, I agree it's pretty stupid, but it makes people feel better and that's what really matters.

Felid`Maximus, I just can't bring myself to ask permission on account of OC not being allowed, if you don't like OC, you don't like my money. I make an exception for the gun show because it counts as being educational and helps keep their interest in guns and freedom.

And unlike the restaurants and coffee shops that have asked not to carry, the gun show provides armed security.

solus

i have a shiny dollar the gentleman you had the conversation with was LE ~ active or retired who feels their perception is the only one, basically an opinionated arse.

I personally have attended both, but never appreciated the NB gun show put on by S&D gun shows who also sponsors the Goldsboro's show held in the NG armory ...

ipse

ron73440

i have a shiny dollar the gentleman you had the conversation with was LE ~ active or retired who feels their perception is the only one, basically an opinionated arse.

I personally have attended both, but never appreciated the NB gun show put on by S&D gun shows who also sponsors the Goldsboro's show held in the NG armory ...

ipse

Could've been, I had no desire to inquire further.

On the bright side he was the only negative in a fun afternoon of guy time for me and my sons.

ron73440

What if a meteor falls from the sky and hits him on the head?

I guess I could have "what if'ed" him back: What if your CC pistol prints and the clerk freaks because you're being sneaky?

I'll bet he thinks the reason I didn't engage with him is I had no answer for his completely logical and well thought out questions.

OC for ME

I guess I could have "what if'ed" him back: What if your CC pistol prints and the clerk freaks because you're being sneaky?

I'll bet he thinks the reason I didn't engage with him is I had no answer for his completely logical and well thought out questions.
What if NC goes constitutional carry? You'd be out of a "job."

I always "what if" the CC Industrial Complex minions.

sudden valley gunner

Yep, but they want to pretend only their what if matters.

PeterNSteinmetz

It's their living

It struck me as strange that a legal activity that doesn't affect him at all was such a big deal. He was a little agitated when he got into the "what if" scenario, but it could have been worse, I thought he was going to start with the "you'll be the first guy shot" thing.

It's their living. I've met a few CC instructors here in AZ that think OC is just fine, or routinely do so themselves. AZ is a constitutional carry state though and has always had OC since back when it was a territory. When your livelihood depends on something, you tend to think it is a good or necessary thing.

Last edited:

papa bear

good job in the way you handled it. i know you had some why didn't i say this moments. but i think you did OK

tomrkba

His reasons to get a permit sounded pretty lame...

But one potentially not lame reason to get a CC permit is so that you can still legally carry in places your son might convince you to go that ban open carry.

That, and some gun laws "go away" with the permit. Examples from some states include state level background checks, car carry, vehicle storage requirements, handgun purchase limits, etc.

Also keep in mind the permit protects you from the Federal 1,000 foot school zone law.

Last edited:

MontanaResident

I'm increasingly of the opinion, that nobody knows the laws about firearms. They are to contradictory, vary from one place to another, OC vs CC, public perceptoin, personal biases. Only if you are arrested and prosecuted will you finally know what the law was, where you were arrested and at the date and time of your arrest. Til then carry on and good luck.