• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Instructor "what ifs" me

DocWalker

I guess I could have "what if'ed" him back: What if your CC pistol prints and the clerk freaks because you're being sneaky?

I'll bet he thinks the reason I didn't engage with him is I had no answer for his completely logical and well thought out questions.

When they start with the "what if's" I say "what if I stop talking to you" (as I walk away)....lol

Brian D.

I realize this aspect gets explained frequently but will do so again for anybody new to "our" table here: Gun shows promoters are very unlikely to run events without carrying insurance. The one company that supposedly writes the majority of those policies across the USA puts the "No loaded guns" stipulation in the paperwork, not much the show's operator can do about that.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...The one company that supposedly writes the majority of those policies across the USA puts the "No loaded guns" stipulation in the paperwork...

Because it's the company that writes the cheapest?

ron73440

That, and some gun laws "go away" with the permit. Examples from some states include state level background checks, car carry, vehicle storage requirements, handgun purchase limits, etc.

Also keep in mind the permit protects you from the Federal 1,000 foot school zone law.

In NC with a permit I can CC into a restaurant that serves alcohol, so I don't go to those places.

I carry everywhere I go except on base where I work :banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss:

I refuse to ask permission to carry since I live in a state where vehicle OC is legal.

When I retire from the service I will be looking for work in states where permits are not required for OC first, and if I have to I will move where a permit is required, that is the only situation where I could see myself getting a permit.

DocWalker

In NC with a permit I can CC into a restaurant that serves alcohol, so I don't go to those places.

I carry everywhere I go except on base where I work :banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss:

I refuse to ask permission to carry since I live in a state where vehicle OC is legal.

When I retire from the service I will be looking for work in states where permits are not required for OC first, and if I have to I will move where a permit is required, that is the only situation where I could see myself getting a permit.

Try Idaho....it is awsome

WalkingWolf

You can OC into those same restaurants as long as you ask permission from the manager or owner.

Brian D.

Because it's the company that writes the cheapest?

I don't know. Over a period of many years I've brought up the topic of the 'no loaded guns' ** rule with perhaps six different show promoters around the U.S. Asked them in the most earnest calm way possible, without being accusatory or angry. All of them gave me the same reply about it being a requirement from the insurance provider in order to get coverage written.

From reading between the lines on my part I'd say that most if not all used the same insurance company, but didn't try to find that out for certain. To a man they all stated that to the best of their knowledge there was only ONE reliable provider of said coverage. It's easy to draw different conclusions but in my mind it is very doubtful all the promoters made up that same detail as part of a lie.

** At times (but not always) I've seen the signage grant an exemption to "on duty law enforcement officers". Again, one could go into more speculation on that particular in and of itself.

solus

hope the storm missed ya...
uh, there is a recent full blown forum discussion about this apparent loophole out here somewhere...

i can never get the search to work properly...

ipse

MKEgal

PeterNSteinmetz said:
When your livelihood depends on something, you tend to think it is a good or necessary thing.
I think it's good and necessary for people to be educated about firearm safety,
and if they choose to carry for self-defense they need to know at least the basics of the laws about carrying and self-defense.
I don't know of anyone on this site, or any other 2A site, who disagrees with me, whether or not they're a professional instructor.

I do a lot of educating for free, mostly online.
I also teach NRA pistol classes, and the UT permit class, and can teach the IL permit class.
Why should I feel guilty that people pay me for my knowledge & skills, just like any other professional?

Do you grumble because your doctor wants to be paid, or your college professor, or your car mechanic, or whoever cuts your hair, etc.?
Or do you appreciate that they have specialized knowledge & skills that you don't, and you either cannot develop or don't want to develop?

If I ever hit the lottery, I'll teach free safety classes.
Until then, I have bills to pay just like everyone else.
I'm lucky to be able to do something I enjoy, am good at, and am passionate about in order to earn some of that money.

Aknazer

I think it's good and necessary for people to be educated about firearm safety,
and if they choose to carry for self-defense they need to know at least the basics of the laws about carrying and self-defense.
I don't know of anyone on this site, or any other 2A site, who disagrees with me, whether or not they're a professional instructor.

I do a lot of educating for free, mostly online.
I also teach NRA pistol classes, and the UT permit class, and can teach the IL permit class.
Why should I feel guilty that people pay me for my knowledge & skills, just like any other professional?

Do you grumble because your doctor wants to be paid, or your college professor, or your car mechanic, or whoever cuts your hair, etc.?
Or do you appreciate that they have specialized knowledge & skills that you don't, and you either cannot develop or don't want to develop?

If I ever hit the lottery, I'll teach free safety classes.
Until then, I have bills to pay just like everyone else.
I'm lucky to be able to do something I enjoy, am good at, and am passionate about in order to earn some of that money.

I think you missed the point. The issue is in CC instructors who try to push their view upon others (and sometimes to the point of being for restrictions on others rights). If I take my car to a mechanic I understand that I need to pay him for his time, but don't try to tell me that I HAVE to take it to him before I can work on my car myself, or that only his way of troubleshooting is right and any other method is wrong.

You shouldn't feel guilty for having people pay you for your knowledge/skills, but you also shouldn't push such things onto others. Granted I know that you don't, but the OP made the instructor in question seem like that was exactly what they were doing with the "what if" game, and the quoted person was pointing out his feelings that many instructors appear for it because that protects their income (the only other options being they either don't fully understand the intent of the 2A or that they aren't 100% for the 2A).

solus

I think you missed the point. The issue is in CC instructors who try to push their view upon others (and sometimes to the point of being for restrictions on others rights). If I take my car to a mechanic I understand that I need to pay him for his time, but don't try to tell me that I HAVE to take it to him before I can work on my car myself, or that only his way of troubleshooting is right and any other method is wrong.

You shouldn't feel guilty for having people pay you for your knowledge/skills, but you also shouldn't push such things onto others. Granted I know that you don't, but the OP made the instructor in question seem like that was exactly what they were doing with the "what if" game, and the quoted person was pointing out his feelings that many instructors appear for it because that protects their income (the only other options being they either don't fully understand the intent of the 2A or that they aren't 100% for the 2A).

they're called instructor's personal opinions or bias from individuals in position of knowledge who are perceived by citizens, as being subject matter experts (the state normally sanctions the instructors ~ so they are right?) and therefore their very word to the uninformed citizen is seen as Holy as if spoken from the pulpit.

this opinion/bias normally comes from the instructor's background(s), LE, NRA, Military, etc., or from association with like minded groups, and they truly believe their rhetoric as not stinking so they spew it freely and everyone else's thoughts on the matter are irrelevant and dismissed as coming from someone who is uninformed.

as i have personally seen in local CHP instructors, what they are telling or not telling their students is shocking. for example, i got into a discussion w/a friend's son who is a elementary teacher in W NC, who was told by their CHP instructor they could carry a firearm on school grounds and leave it in their vehicle during the day ~ "cuz the laws changed last year an now allowed it."
(http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.2.html)

the cite was printed off and all the teacher could say was...WOW! you know a class I felony will ruin a teaching career real fast!!

NC has a 2.5 +/- hour deadly force law discussion in their CHP classes but i know a lot spend less than an hour on the subject. however, if as one CHP instructor has done, when you have 130 students to one CHP instructor it is tough to cover the laws in any kind of detail. their class size is normally 40-50 students. i do not wish to know their quality of their CHP course. they charge $35/students.

as for charging, fair price for fair exchange of knowledge.

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Wow 35 bucks, one of the local gun shops charges 125 for theirs. I believe I have heard about 50 dollars to be the standard around here. But yea if they have 50 students they would still be making money. IMO a class over 25 would be too large.

I have heard some really dumb stuff come from students of these classes. One even brought me a recording of the class, I was astounded. The instructor told the class that it was illegal to carry in a bank. Because of federal insurance. Also told students it was illegal to buy alcohol at a store while carrying.

I will give most of them credit, as they lean towards telling the students that actually using their gun would be a life changing event, and should be avoided if possible.

RU serious

I hate to disarm for a gun show but my sons really wanted to go.
Me too but complacency leads to NDs and those are unfortunately to common at shows.

Me: No, I carry open and don't want a permit
CC'er: Really, well what if the you go to CVS and the minimum wage worker freaks?
Me: I'll leave and contact management
CC'er: What if she calls the cops? (starting to get himself hyped up about something)
Me: Not breaking the law
CC'er: What if he doesn't know that and takes you to jail?
Me: I'll sue their asses
CC'er: well you be careful, that doesn't seem like a good idea to me
Me: I am, never had a problem(as I'm walking away, no patience for this)
LoL .. I assume NC is an OC state?

Sounds like he's trying to sell a wash tub in 2014 ;)

papa bear

Me too but complacency leads to NDs and those are unfortunately to common at shows.

LoL .. I assume NC is an OC state?

Sounds like he's trying to sell a wash tub in 2014 ;)

Cite that they are common?

WW like the numbers in the class, and ND at a gun show. one is too many.

RU just to point out to you that when people think that a gun is empty is when they are discharged. if we could carry loaded in our personal protection. then they would treat all guns as loaded

RU serious

WW like the numbers in the class, and ND at a gun show. one is too many.

RU just to point out to you that when people think that a gun is empty is when they are discharged. if we could carry loaded in our personal protection. then they would treat all guns as loaded
Exactly! 0200 on a sleepless night and my word choices may not be perfect. I'm not so arrogant to assume I'll never have another ND, but I'm going to put it off as long as possible.

You can OC but not loaded? What am I missing?

ron73440

Exactly! 0200 on a sleepless night and my word choices may not be perfect. I'm not so arrogant to assume I'll never have another ND, but I'm going to put it off as long as possible.

You can OC but not loaded? What am I missing?

At the gun show, they put a zip tie through your pistol even if it's in a holster on your belt. To me that would mean extra handling to unload before entering and then reload after leaving, so I just left it under the seat of my truck.

I can understand clearing firearms that are for sale, but if it stays in my holster I see no reason for them to worry about whether or not it's loaded.

solus

ron, remember the problem manifested itself several years back when the idiot at a gunshow in Raleigh was showing the security guard, aka retired sheriff, his shotgun and it discharged and hit three people.

they never stated for a fact if the security guard, read sheriff, caused the discharge due to a lack of knowledge or incompetence or ?

ipse