• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Instructor "what ifs" me

sudden valley gunner

WW like the numbers in the class, and ND at a gun show. one is too many.

RU just to point out to you that when people think that a gun is empty is when they are discharged. if we could carry loaded in our personal protection. then they would treat all guns as loaded

While it is tragic. I still would rather have liberty over safety.

Elm Creek Smith

Just got a private message from a moderator at the Smith & Wesson Forum advising me to re-read their rules. Seems I insulted someone(s) over there on a thread that I started about having to go from open carry in Oklahoma to concealed carry in Texas. One joker posited that open carry was "all about the 'look at me syndrome' which invariably can lead to a unneeded confrontation. In my opinion it also shows a lot of insecurity on the individuals part." Another one continued to criticize my carry choices and methods and apparently didn't remember that I was the OP. I'm afraid I responded with a picture that was apparently too much for the tender souls over there. Those folks don't seem to have much sense of humor.

Oddly enough, the guy who described open carriers as "attention wh*res" didn't have his post edited or deleted.

WalkingWolf

Just got a private message from a moderator at the Smith & Wesson Forum advising me to re-read their rules. Seems I insulted someone(s) over there on a thread that I started about having to go from open carry in Oklahoma to concealed carry in Texas. One joker posited that open carry was "all about the 'look at me syndrome' which invariably can lead to a unneeded confrontation. In my opinion it also shows a lot of insecurity on the individuals part." Another one continued to criticize my carry choices and methods and apparently didn't remember that I was the OP. I'm afraid I responded with a picture that was apparently too much for the tender souls over there. Those folks don't seem to have much sense of humor.

Oddly enough, the guy who described open carriers as "attention wh*res" didn't have his post edited or deleted.

You want to avoid the Glock forum then, I got a warning for this.

"The difference between a good golfer with cheap clubs, and a bad golfer with the most expensive clubs is the good golfer can golf."

Then I got suspended for simply telling somebody that how many rounds they carry is a personal choice. Seems that if you own a glock you are supposed to carry a couple hundred rounds or you should not carry. And this was after the person I told this to insulted my mother.

OC for ME

You want to avoid the Glock forum then, I got a warning for this.

"The difference between a good golfer with cheap clubs, and a bad golfer with the most expensive clubs is the good golfer can golf."

Then I got suspended for simply telling somebody that how many rounds they carry is a personal choice. Seems that if you own a glock you are supposed to carry a couple hundred rounds or you should not carry. And this was after the person I told this to insulted my mother.
CC Industrial Complex at work.

Elm Creek Smith

You want to avoid the Glock forum then,...

I got over Glocks a while back.

I got a warning for this.

Really? Not doubting your word, of course, but really?

Then I got suspended for simply telling somebody that how many rounds they carry is a personal choice. Seems that if you own a glock you are supposed to carry a couple hundred rounds or you should not carry.

That's odd. I keep hearing the CC Glocksketeers saying that all they need to carry is one magazine in the gun and no reloads.

And this was after the person I told this to insulted my mother.

Sounds like you don't need to go back. Anytime anyone insults your mother, don't respond directly, just report them.

mikeyb

Then I got suspended for simply telling somebody that how many rounds they carry is a personal choice.

I'm offended that you think it's a choice! That is totally offensive. We don't choose to carry rounds. I don't wake up one day and say, "Hey, today I feel like an extra magazine." Ok, well, maybe it's a choice for, like 25% who just do it for attention or because it's the "trendy" thing to do.

/sarcasm :lol:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I always answer "what if" questions with either the opposite, or if it's something highly unlikely, with another something that's highly unlikely:

CC'er: Really, well what if the you go to CVS and the minimum wage worker freaks?

What if he doesn't?

CC'er: What if she calls the cops? (starting to get himself hyped up about something)

Why would cops care about the lawful actions of a law-abiding citizen?

CC'er: What if he doesn't know that and takes you to jail?

What if he does and we have a pleasant conversation, instead?

CC'er: well you be careful, that doesn't seem like a good idea to me

Neither does your giving advice about areas where you're obviously misinformed.

It struck me as strange that a legal activity that doesn't affect him at all was such a big deal. He was a little agitated when he got into the "what if" scenario, but it could have been worse, I thought he was going to start with the "you'll be the first guy shot" thing.

He's been spending WAY too much on CC-only message forums. I OC when and where I can, and CC in areas where OC is either prohibited or in my judgement it's better that I CC.

It was funny to me because I've seen these types of discussions on here, but this was my first experience in real life.

Interesting! The only time I've had such a conversation was on the phone with a very liberal, anti-gun friend.

*There are two types of people, the ones who want to be left alone and the others who refuse to leave them alone. I always try to stay in the first group, but a lot of people jump back and forth depending on the issue at hand.(drugs, healthcare, guns, religous freedom and so on)
If it doesn't hurt anyone else I believe there is no reason to join the second group.

Sound points. :)

Javelina

Arizona

In NC with a permit I can CC into a restaurant that serves alcohol, so I don't go to those places.

I carry everywhere I go except on base where I work :banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss:

I refuse to ask permission to carry since I live in a state where vehicle OC is legal.

When I retire from the service I will be looking for work in states where permits are not required for OC first, and if I have to I will move where a permit is required, that is the only situation where I could see myself getting a permit.

I would say try Arizona ;) they are on of the most gun friendly (if not THE MOST) gun friendly states. As far as the situation went though I think you handled it well. Funny story is I had the clerk at a Walgreens try and be funny by saying "Hey man don't bust a cap in me", I just looked at him and he knew to quit the ****. I wasn't surprised when he told me he was waiting to get off probation so he could start "packin", lord have mercy I hope he was a convicted felony becuase someone like that shouldn't be carrying a gun.

mikeyb

Funny story is I had the clerk at a Walgreens try and be funny by saying "Hey man don't bust a cap in me", I just looked at him and he knew to quit the ****. I wasn't surprised when he told me he was waiting to get off probation so he could start "packin", lord have mercy I hope he was a convicted felony becuase someone like that shouldn't be carrying a gun.

Maybe he'll be a champion Darwin Award Winner?

OT:
The "what ifs" are ruining the 2A environment. What if so-and-so does this? Or that? What if monkeys fly out my butt? What if I s**t rainbow sherbet? In any logical/intellectual discussion on 2A/OC/CC/Rights, "what if" cannot be interjected as a viable platform for argument.

The "crazies" utilize this tactic: What if we expand mass school shootings to any shooting- accidental or purposeful- on school and/or district property, no matter what time of day or whom the victims are? HOLY S***! Our numbers tripled! What if we stop using "gun owners" and started using "gun fanatics?" What if we stop using "gun rights activists" and started using "gun bullies?"

ron73440

ron, remember the problem manifested itself several years back when the idiot at a gunshow in Raleigh was showing the security guard, aka retired sheriff, his shotgun and it discharged and hit three people.

they never stated for a fact if the security guard, read sheriff, caused the discharge due to a lack of knowledge or incompetence or ?

ipse

I don't know about that, but if it stays in the holster there is no chance of an ND, if I pull it out , unload it, then pull it out again to reload then there is a chance of one.

MackTheKnife

The permission slip is his rice bowl. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rice+Bowl

And disarming to go into a gun show has always amused me. Walk in totally disarmed. Stop off and buy a gun (or three). Head for the magazine guy's table. Then to the ammo dealers (no matter how overpriced they are, you are probably going to pick up at least one box, amirite?). Then to the holster vendors. Et voila! Armed!

And let's not forget the knives and machetes and kukris and bayonets and phoney katanas.

A guy, in 15 minutes (if the background check is slow) can go from nada to Mommys Demanding Attention's worst nightmare.:shocker: :D:banana::monkey:cool:

stay safe.

Yep, it is his ricebowl. And it is sad that he is basically putting down OC. I explain quite often to the OC naysayers it is good to have a choice (not here in FL) and many people who OC don't want to pay to carry CC.

Sent from my Kindle via the NSA.

WalkingWolf

Yep, it is his ricebowl. And it is sad that he is basically putting down OC. I explain quite often to the OC naysayers it is good to have a choice (not here in FL) and many people who OC don't want to pay to carry CC.

Sent from my Kindle via the NSA.

That rubs a sore spot with both CC permit holders and the instructors. I have had permit holders tell me on several occasions they don't think it is fair that I carry and did not have to jump through the same hoops they did. I simply tell them that was their decision, not mine. What is not fair is the whole permission scheme created by the NRA to begin with.

FTG-05

Handgunner? The S&W forum, like a lot of gun boards, is full of self-important OC Fudds. They can call you an "attention *****" all day long; respond by calling them an OC Fudd and you get a public rebuke from the mods/staff. Even Arfcom is full of OC fudds. You would think that the OCT folks were personally castrating every TX male child under 14 the way they carry on and on over there about all the so-called damage OCT is doing.

Getting back to instructors: When I took the TN state-mandated "safety" class, the instructor recommended that you always carry concealed; that carrying openly scares people and they'll call the cops on you. Have I mentioned that he's a former LEO? I forget which type though.

He also showed a TN-state video where the narrator stated that you should always tell LEO's that you're armed during a traffic stop. When I raised my hand (the only time I bothered during the class) and asked if TN was a "must notify" state, he said no and then abruptly changed the subject. If they lied about that, what else did they lie about during the video? If they're lying, who bother showing it? :banghead:

Last edited:

Aknazer

Cite that they are common?

I wish I could give you a cite, but when I inquired about it at a gun show in Oklahoma I too was told that. Though I was told that it was usually the vendors who were having the NDs and not the visitors who were the problem. Of course "common" is a relative term (how exactly does one quantify it?), but given people from all over having similar stories it does appear that there could have been an issue "back in the day" with safety.

PeterNSteinmetz

I'm lucky to be able to do something I enjoy, am good at, and am passionate about in order to earn some of that money.
I didn't mean to imply there is anything wrong with making a living selling a product people freely chose to buy. But if the demand for that product depends on the government outlawing a legitimate activity, like simply carrying a firearm, I think there are other issues involved.

ron73440

I didn't mean to imply there is anything wrong with making a living selling a product people freely chose to buy. But if the demand for that product depends on the government outlawing a legitimate activity, like simply carrying a firearm, I think there are other issues involved.

Exactly!

Kopis

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
ron, remember the problem manifested itself several years back when the idiot at a gunshow in Raleigh was showing the security guard, aka retired sheriff, his shotgun and it discharged and hit three people.

they never stated for a fact if the security guard, read sheriff, caused the discharge due to a lack of knowledge or incompetence or ?

im a big news reader and i never knew that! i know with the florida movie shooting, that was a retired cop but the news has done their best to downplay that and bury it in the article, not the title.