• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Instructor "what ifs" me

jackrockblc

Devil's Advocate time: I think the questions the instructor was asking are questions that anybody should ask themselves. Some will choose CC, while others will go OC. I'm a member of two forums that are at opposite ends of that spectrum.

Non-Advocate time: The instructor needs to get off his damn high horse and realize that not everybody accepts the same conclusions or needs. When I get my CHP, I still plan to OC as often as possible, but there are just some places that OC isn't allowed but CC is.

OC for ME

It struck me as strange that a legal activity that doesn't affect him at all was such a big deal.
I believe that unlicensed carry, OC in this case, does affect the CC Industrial Complex and its minions. That dude knows this and works actively to sustain his income stream. Your approach is not conducive to assisting him in his efforts to sustaining his income stream. I have a permit only because OC is not lawful in some towns and some states require a permit to carry regardless of manner, TN is but one state, and I travel through TN to get to SC where OC is not permitted, yet CC is. Even if I lived in AZ I would have a permit for travel purposes.

I CC when I must, when I am not compelled, by infringements, to CC, I OC.

ron73440

Devil's Advocate time: I think the questions the instructor was asking are questions that anybody should ask themselves. Some will choose CC, while others will go OC. I'm a member of two forums that are at opposite ends of that spectrum.

Non-Advocate time: The instructor needs to get off his damn high horse and realize that not everybody accepts the same conclusions or needs. When I get my CHP, I still plan to OC as often as possible, but there are just some places that OC isn't allowed but CC is.

The questions were mildy irritating, but his tone was what told me there was no point in talking with him.

wimwag

I've been what if'd a few times by CC only people, but never at a gun show. Once in the dog park a CC FUDD accosted me and listedall the reasons I should ck deal and then what if'd me when I said I was fine the way I was. I responded with something like "unload your gun and then conceal it. I'll unload mine and reholster it. On the count of three we will draw and see who is faster." The look on his face said it all.

wimwag

One thing that I've found ends the conversation quickly is asking them how many bullets their little gun holds and then unloading my magazine into my hand and asking what ifs. A few questions can be asked when unloading 15 rounds. "what if you miss 5 times and you're being attacked by 3 people and you only have one bullet left in the cylinder?". "what if you fire three shots at the guy closest to you and you get stabbed and incapacitated before you can fire the last 4?" "what if it snags on your clothing and while you're being stabbed you flinch and shoot yourself through your leg artery?"

That usually ends it.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Once in the dog park a CC FUDD accosted me and listed the reasons I should ck deal and then what if'd me when I said I was fine the way I was. I responded with something like "unload your gun and then conceal it. I'll unload mine and reholster it. On the count of three we will draw and see who is faster." The look on his face said it all.

Bingo. I like the fact that OC is a deterrent, but I absolutely insist on the fact that it's a 1/4 second response rate or better.

"Wha... BAM!" Dead aggressor, and I've yet to actually do that despite carrying for 25+ years.

I guess we're just a *bit* more trained than the media would like to believe, eh?

MackTheKnife

And as for dumbass CC instructors, the lady from PA is facing three years in jail in NJ for telling the LEO she had a permit and a gun in the car because her CC instructor told her to always inform LEOs. What a jerk off.

Last edited:

XD40sc

In NC with a permit I can CC into a restaurant that serves alcohol, so I don't go to those places.
That pretty much limits where you can eat then, don't it? McDonalds, Burger King, and maybe a few diners.

sudden valley gunner

And as for dumbass CC instructors, the lady from PA is facing three years in jail in NJ for telling the LEO she had a permit and a gun in the car because her CC instructor told her to always inform LEOs. What a jerk off.

+1 The next time someone on this forum talks about always informing the cops, this case should definitely come up.

XD40sc

That rubs a sore spot with both CC permit holders and the instructors. I have had permit holders tell me on several occasions they don't think it is fair that I carry and did not have to jump through the same hoops they did. I simply tell them that was their decision, not mine. What is not fair is the whole permission scheme created by the NRA to begin with.

Your choices vs. my choices.

Most obvious is that having a CHP greatly simplifies the transportation of a handgun in vehicles.

Granted HB937 created some distinct differences for those with a CHP. I can carry into 70 - 80% more restaurants than was available to me before (and still be armed), but probably the one that has the greatest effect for me and the wife is that we can drive onto a school campus, a daily occurrence to pickup my grandsons, even if I have to stick my gun in the center console (closed compartment), vs. being a felony to have it anywhere in the vehicle.

If someone never has a reason to drive onto a school campus, and seldom eats out, it is a moot point.

Last edited:

solus

Your choices vs. my choices.

Most obvious is that having a CHP greatly simplifies the transportation of a handgun in vehicles.

Granted HB937 created some distinct differences for those with a CHP. I can carry into 70 - 80% more restaurants than was available to me before (and still be armed), but probably the one that has the greatest effect for me and the wife is that we can drive onto a school campus, a daily occurrence to pickup my grandsons, even if I have to stick my gun in the center console (closed compartment), vs. being a felony to have it anywhere in the vehicle.

If someone never has a reason to drive onto a school campus, and seldom eats out, it is a moot point.

uh, er, XD you might wish to re-read what 14-269.2 f(3) actually states: The firearm is not loaded, is in a motor vehicle, and is in a locked container or a locked firearm rack.
paragraph (k) does not apply except for leaving the firearm in your locked vehicle.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14-269.2

a second point if i might...according to the NC AG, NC does not have any specific statutes or criteria for transporting firearms in a vehicle. section III D: quote North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. unquote

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

ipse

Last edited:

XD40sc

My reference was transporting a gun that is your defense gun, not just hauling them around.
uh, er, XD you might wish to re-read what 14-269.2 f(3) actually states: The firearm is not loaded, is in a motor vehicle, and is in a locked container or a locked firearm rack.
paragraph (k) does not apply except for leaving the firearm in your locked vehicle.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14-269.2
When I leave to pickup the grandsons after school, I take my gun (loaded and chambered) and stick it in the console. If we stop for something after I pick them up, I just clip it on my belt or depending what I am carrying that day, put it in my pocket and go. If I had to unload and lock it up in the vehicle be it gun safe or glove compartment it is useless during my drive to for from the school, or if we stop somewhere on the way home.

a second point if i might...according to the NC AG, NC does not have any specific statutes or criteria for transporting firearms in a vehicle. section III D: quote North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. unquote

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

ipse
Without a CHP, but within reach of driver or passenger the gun must be "visible". Though not spelled out by law, the general consensus is it must be visible to a LEO walking up to the drivers or passenger door, on the front seat or dashboard.

OC for ME

+1 +1

Well earned double plus one. This post should be a sticky.

FTG-05

But, but, but I'm sure the LEO just "gave her a warning and a wink" for the traffic violation!

At least that's what all the "hey! look at me, I'm speshul!" types are always telling us what happens when they prostrate themselves before the man, hoping he'll "feel at ease".

Right? Right?

:banghead:

solus

My reference was transporting a gun that is your defense gun, not just hauling them around.
When I leave to pickup the grandsons after school, I take my gun (loaded and chambered) and stick it in the console. If we stop for something after I pick them up, I just clip it on my belt or depending what I am carrying that day, put it in my pocket and go. If I had to unload and lock it up in the vehicle be it gun safe or glove compartment it is useless during my drive to for from the school, or if we stop somewhere on the way home.

Without a CHP, but within reach of driver or passenger the gun must be "visible". Though not spelled out by law, the general consensus is it must be visible to a LEO walking up to the drivers or passenger door, on the front seat or dashboard.

just being courteous and to clarify the misconceptions your initial post had by pointing out what NC Statutes actually say about firearms on school property, which you just confirmed on a public forum you are willfully violating.

and your cite for the 'must be visible' statement?

remember in the eyes of the LE stopping you there is no such thing as 'general consensus' type statutes.

ipse