• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC - on a bike!

poetdante

My first OC experience today was riding my bike today. My gf wanted to go for a bike ride today and being a new rider I accompanied her. It was a hot day so I carried OWB in a Raven holster. My shirt is usually tucked in to avoid the kydex rubbing against my skin so OWB was unavoidable without an extra layer. Well, we ended up going to a small organic food/farmers market area in a yuppie part of town. I was 100% relaxed, more curious as anything. The store had no sign, maybe 2 or 3 people even glanced at my holster. There were even other cyclists there. It was a fun experience. I'm almost dissapointed nobody asked me about my gun and what kind of holster it was in. At the park nobody even was looking as we rode our bikes home.

I think OC'ing will be a thing I do more often from now on. It will expose the hipsters to firearms being just another tool and not scary.

Maybe Louisville CAN be a gun-friendly place. I'll have to OC at some other places where I have never seen OC (or CC printing badly for that matter) like the Highlands. Hope nobody calls the cops to hassle me.

poetdante

Really? I'll have to go down there and see how things go. I haven't heard of that art fair, when is it? Is it like the St. James art fair?

I'll probably be out and about the Cherokee area this weekend OC'ing. One place that I am curious about is the Bardstown@Eastern Pkwy Qdoba. I go there very often and always CC. Curious what it will be like for the staff to see me OC (they are used to LEO going there and detectives in plain clothes OC'ing but they know I am a student and not affiliated with any police). There's a Chipolte opening up down the road, I guess allowing OC in their store would be a way of showing they are better than their competition lol.

poetdante

Yes, its similar to the St. James Fair, but much smaller. Its usually in late April. You just missed it. There was a guy here on OCDO once before that lived near Bardstown Rd. and Eastern Parkway, he said he OCed into that Qdoba all the time. We haven't heard from him in a long time. There was another guy who lives near Mid-City Mall. He got kicked off the #17 TARC for OC. That's illegal and exceeds the stated company policy, by the way. They took down their "No Weapons" signs after KRS 65.870 was amended in 2012. Updating all of their employees' training has been spotty. There have been a few meet ups in the last year or two. Several of us from OCDO and AR15.com have gotten together at Beef O'Brady's at 3rd and Central and other times we met at Cracker Barrel and Golden Corral, both in Lexington. Three of us from here also met for lunch at the Louisville Hotel, on Broadway, once. All were OC events, and all were uneventful.

OCDO? what's that?

I wonder what happened to OC Qdoba guy? I knew about the TARC thing based on the 65.870 (made the news) and TARC making an official statement. I heard that they are putting off-duty LEOs on certain lines now.

I've never been to Beef O'Brady's but lunch at the Louisville Hotel or Cracker Barrel with nice gents like you sounds like it would be fun.

Today I decided to take a walk after school so I headed down to Cherokee park. It was uneventful. Most drivers didn't look twice at me (older drivers did though). Cyclists did a couple double takes. Pedestrians, eh couldn't say.
One marked police car passed me up and an unmarked SUV with Indiana plates did as well (guy was on a walkie-talkie, so hence I suspect he was LEO). I decided to head on home as the park soon became more busy and I was needing to head home. Not a bad 2nd OC experience.