• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who calls 911 on open carriers? Extra special

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
An essential element of crime in general and particularly 911 emergency call center abuse is mens rea, expressed in the particular case as absence of good faith.

Here is the first such Oregon ordinance that fell to hand.

The problem with that citation is that the 9-1-1 caller has a "good faith" belief that they have a legitimate reason to request emergency assistance.

That they would, if they had a gun, go off on a rampage and shoot up the city does not, however, mean that everybody who actually OCs has the same mindset, motivation, and attitude. I find it sad that those who call for stronger mental health responses are themselves being deprived of those services.

I have often wondered how one of thefraidycats would fare in a mental competency hearing focused on an allegation of debilitating paranoia.

stay safe.

Whitney

Put them on notice

I am reminded of this video from an open carrier in Oregon who hired a lawyer to put the 911 caller on notice.

~Whitney

[video=youtube;brGoOJBZzxc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brGoOJBZzxc[/video]

wimwag

What that guy has done is all good if you have extra money and I'm not picking it apart, but I have no requirement to notify people that they are breaking the law. Police don't need to notify and inform me about gun laws, that's my responsibility. I see 911 usage as the same thing.

FTG-05

I am reminded of this video from an open carrier in Oregon who hired a lawyer to put the 911 caller on notice.

~Whitney

[video=youtube;brGoOJBZzxc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brGoOJBZzxc[/video]

In a nutshell, what did the OCer do and how did it come out? (Can't watch video on this mac air).

thanks.

Lord Sega

What that guy has done is all good if you have extra money and I'm not picking it apart, but I have no requirement to notify people that they are breaking the law. Police don't need to notify and inform me about gun laws, that's my responsibility. I see 911 usage as the same thing.

Wimwag, I agree with what you say, but I also see what the guy in the video is getting at.

A person could call 911 and even if they knew it was improper and fall back on the "good faith" protection.
Even if they had done so several times in the past over different incidences, you would have to dig up the older 911 calls and show that they had been informed in order to cancel the good faith protection of the newer call.
While it could be prosecuted, proving their knowledge and/or intent would be extremely difficult.
But with his legal notification to the person, while the first 911 call is a gimme under good faith, any other calls would be much easier to show abuse of the 911 system.

The problem there is that different carriers would not know of the letters unless someone creates an online database on who has been informed and when.

I could see this as being effective against someone you would encounter on a regular basis.

Jack House

In a nutshell, what did the OCer do and how did it come out? (Can't watch video on this mac air).

thanks.
He hired a lawyer who got the caller's name and address and sent them a C&D more or less, informing them that OC is perfectly legal and that further use of 911 to report someone for the simple act of OCing will be a crime.

FTG-05

He hired a lawyer who got the caller's name and address and sent them a C&D more or less, informing them that OC is perfectly legal and that further use of 911 to report someone for the simple act of OCing will be a crime.

Outstanding!

:monkey

wimwag

All ya gotta do is hold the responding cops accountable if they screw up. The caller? Waste of time.

it doesn't hurt to put their info out there. You know, just in case the DA decides to press charges and hold them accountable for their actions.

OC for ME

it doesn't hurt to put their info out there. You know, just in case the DA decides to press charges and hold them accountable for their actions.
I wish it were so. I have spoken to my little town's cop shop and they, as well as the prosecutor, will not hold a caller accountable because there is no way to prove, unless the caller admits, that their MWAG call (OC is legal) was a intentional false report. But, as we all should know ignorance of the law is no excuse. And most folks "know" that it is against the law to OC...right?

FTG-05

Or better yet, sic the local CPS on them. Let them have their own medicine and see how they like the state interfering with them.

But that's just me.

wimwag

Or better yet, sic the local CPS on them. Let them have their own medicine and see how they like the state interfering with them.

But that's just me.

Having been "rescued" by child services as a kid, I can tell you without a doubt that the foster homes and shelters they put the kids in are far far worse than where you came from. I still often dream that I am back in them.

Last edited: