Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sb-656

Sb-656

Still no veto..........

Hope he just lets it lay there!

(and the clock ticks on)
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Let's hope it continues to lay there....

Shhhhhhhh.....don't wake someone.
    ~Mark Twain

what is date it finally law if gov does nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Shhhhhhhh.....don't wake someone.
    can anyone tell me process and date when it is law by non action?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plumberdan View Post
    can anyone tell me process and date when it is law by non action?

thanks
    Governor Nixon has til July 15th to sign the bill into law or veto the bill. If he signs it, it becomes law 8-28-14, if he lets it become law without signing it, it becomes law on 8-28-14. If he vetoes the bill, the General Assembly can override his veto in Sept., if they do the law will become effective immediately.

Thx...logunowner.

I got tied up last night and couldn't on to respond.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.............

Let things lay............
    ~Mark Twain

The IMO crook will wait until the Independence Day Holiday to veto. That way he can rub it in the face of patriots and energize his base telling us all it is what Missouri needs to reduce gun violence and that it is the best thing for America. He appears to have already weakened the overide capability of the republican caucus with his unconstitutional behavior. Too bad the caucus did not have the nuts to impeach the crook. That really improved my confidence in the State Legislature.
    Last edited by Great Gazoo; 06-21-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Great sign and Gander mtn store in fenton

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Thx...logunowner.

I got tied up last night and couldn't on to respond.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.............

Let things lay............
    went to Gander Mtn in fenton on gravios bluffs advertise as largest gun store in mo. in main entrance

is great sign welcoming all legal ccw weapons AND ALL OPEN CARRY customers... finally a store that gets it!!

not like that other store that resents and fights with you for open carrying....a real pleasure to shop there.

went to Gander Mtn in fenton on gravios bluffs advertise as largest gun store in mo. in main entrance

is great sign welcoming all legal ccw weapons AND ALL OPEN CARRY customers... finally a store that gets it!!

not like that other store that resents and fights with you for open carrying....a real pleasure to shop there.
    OC is unlawful in Fenton.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

may be unlawfull in fenton

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    OC is unlawful in Fenton.
    well it may be unlawfull in fenton proper..it is not unlawfull on private property

such as gander mtn...do u really think a major corporation with team of attorneys

does not check out local law before posting larger 3'x3' sign in lobby welcoming

open carry customers....the liability on their part would be tremendous if stl county

arrested customers for open carry on private property after posting sign telling

customers its okay to open carry here.....not okay at walmart but yes at gander mtn

well it may be unlawfull in fenton proper..it is not unlawfull on private property

such as gander mtn...do u really think a major corporation with team of attorneys

does not check out local law before posting larger 3'x3' sign in lobby welcoming

open carry customers....the liability on their part would be tremendous if stl county

arrested customers for open carry on private property after posting sign telling

customers its okay to open carry here.....not okay at walmart but yes at gander mtn
    Gander Mtn. "authorizes" OC inside their building. You being seen by a cop outside in the parking lot/sidewalks OCing will get you hassled, at a minimum, if a thug cop was so inclined. Of course, if GM had a sign at every entrance to their parking lot that indicated that OC was "authorized" on the exterior areas of their property then you might be OK...might...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Moderator / Administrator

Need some help researching the legislative history SB 656

Need some help researching the legislative history SB 656 - where can I find the list of Senators who voted for or against SB 656, as well as those who did not vote on SB 656?

The reason I ask is that - based on my research - SB 656 passed by a **veto proof majority** in the House - 111-28; veto override only requires 109 votes in the house.

But on the Senate side, SB 656 passed by 21-7, 2 votes **short** of the 23 votes needed to override a veto. However in good news, there are supposed to be 34 total Senators so it looks like 6 Senators did not vote at all on SB636, but could vote to override the veto; we only need 2!

Who are these 6 Senators who did not vote on SB 656 and is it plausible that at least 2 of the 6 would vote to override a veto?

Accomplished Advocate
    Mike Parson Rep Voted for nullification bill
    Bob Dixon Rep Voted previously to override veto of nullification bill
    Kiki Curls Dem anti-gunner
    Mike Cunningham Rep Co sponsor of previous pro-firearm bills
    Two open seats
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Dixon voted for the destroying language to the nullification bill; then he voted for 656. Not sure how he will respond to a potential veto vote on SB656.
    ~Mark Twain

So, a little more than a week left and we've made it past July 4th without a veto. More importantly, there's nothing on the governor's site to indicate a veto and Rep. Jones hasn't sent out an email saying it's been vetoed (I swear he writes up one for every bill just in case there is a veto...)

I'm not anymore optimistic than I was before, but I was cautiously optimistic then.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

Open carry bills in Missouri are like a ray of beautiful sunshine on a dreary day:

Begin talk of how things are going to turn out beautifully, and it will fade away leaving nothing but disappointment to show that it ever existed.

Just quietly keeping my fingers crossed and hoping.....

:whistling: atiently:
    Last edited by Redbaron007; 07-07-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    ~Mark Twain

This blurb makes me wonder if he will pocket sign the bill:

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...=&st=10489&ps=

The IMO crook is trying to be all things to all people as he is probably trying to springboard into national politics. He can angle for the NRA endorsement and still perhaps please his base by not signing the legislation. It could be the best of both worlds for him. If he does pocket sign then he could also staunchly oppose any nullification bill next session with the supremacy clause BS since the issues have taken separate legislative paths. The Governor also may think of a way to mention SJR 36 in a veto message of SB 656 and have it trumpeted by the media.
    Last edited by Great Gazoo; 07-07-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Gazoo View Post
    This blurb makes me wonder if he will pocket sign the bill:

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...=&st=10489&ps=

The IMO crook is trying to be all things to all people as he is probably trying to springboard into national politics. He can angle for the NRA endorsement and still perhaps please his base by not signing the legislation. It could be the best of both worlds for him. If he does pocket sign then he could also staunchly oppose any nullification bill next session with the supremacy clause BS since the issues have taken separate legislative paths. The Governor also may think of a way to mention SJR 36 in a veto message of SB 656 and have it trumpeted by the media.
    I'm hoping his desire for future political placement will overtake his urge to veto it, allowing the pocket sign. If he has no political ambition, the above bold is a probability. I think he has future ambitions.
    ~Mark Twain

I am as eager for this to pass as the next guy, but deep down inside, I wonder if this is a good thing.

Currently in many municipalities, you can open carry with no permit whatsoever. Now we are basically taking that away. Now I do see that we are removing the individual cities from being able to deny that right, but I am not sure if this is a step forward or a step back.

We are turning a right into a privilege that costs money.

If this does pass (like I think that it will) I feel that the next step that we need to push for is constitutional carry...the way that our founding fathers intended.

Not this canard again. Any place you can OC without a CCW permit on August 27th, you will be able to carry on August 28th. That is isn't changing. What is changing is that, if you have a CCW permit, you will be able to carry in some places on August 28th that you could not on August 28th.

LMTD thinks that this might cause political subdivisions to enact anti-OC ordinances, I don't see it happening. Both of our arguments have enough fairy dust that neither is particularly convincing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    Not this canard again. Any place you can OC without a CCW permit on August 27th, you will be able to carry on August 28th. That is isn't changing. What is changing is that, if you have a CCW permit, you will be able to carry in some places on August 28th that you could not on August 28th.

LMTD thinks that this might cause political subdivisions to enact anti-OC ordinances, I don't see it happening. Both of our arguments have enough fairy dust that neither is particularly convincing.

According to the way SB656 is worded (excerpt below), if you are open carrying you will need to present your CCW upon demand from a LEO. It does not state only if the municipality has an ordinance against OC. Explain how is this not a change?

CCS/HCS/SB 656 - This act modifies provisions relating to firearms.

OPEN CARRY ORDINANCES - 21.750

This act provides that the open carrying of a firearm may not be prohibited by a political subdivision for any person with a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit in his or her possession who presents such endorsement or permit upon the demand of a law enforcement officer.

The reading is tortured at best. But that is the bill summary, not the actual statute.

Looks like we're past today's penmanship...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast