• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obtaining a CPL after a PPO expired

Majmunko

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and i apologize if this is not related to open carry but I thought I'd throw this out there and ask you all experienced people for your words of wisdom.
I had a ppo in my name and had to give up my cpl but that ppo was unserved after a month because it wasn't served properly. Either way, I had to turn in my cpl and i thought I'd lay down for a year until it expires even though it was unserved. I don't know much about this but I do know i was set up by my ex. Unfortunately I couldn't fight it since money was an issue. Well it's been a few months since it expired and now I'm thinking of getting the cpl back. How difficult would it be to get it back? I have no criminal record, never was convicted of anything and am a hard working American citizen. Surprisingly i did not get a notice to turn in my handguns even though from what I now understand you're not supposed to own or possess firearms. I didn't know anything about ppo's at all but now I do. Did anyone ever go through the same issue? Thank you all in advance.

Majmunko

BTW This is supposed to be for Michigan people.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Majmunko

is there a way of moving it? sorry I'm new

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Michigander

Michigan is a shall issue state. If you are legally eligible and apply for a CPL, they have to give it to you. You may have to go talk to the gun board, but assuming the story is as simple as you've made it sound and that there are no further important details, I am not aware of any law which would inhibit you from getting a CPL again.

Scooter123

If the PPO wasn't actually served it's quite likely it's not even on your record. Probably because your Ex actually didn't apply, she just told you she got one just to upset you. I would suggest a visit to your local PD to see what is actually on your record. Obviously if that PPO wasn't ever filed you are good to go. If it was filed and is on your record you will need to know the exact expiration date. If you were ever convicted for Domestic Violence, reckless driving, drunk driving, etc. you'll have an 8 year wait after the conviction date. Following is a link to the page for the CPL requirements for Michigan, I suggest that you review it carefully. BTW, as someone who previously held a CPL I rather doubt you currently have any excluding convictions but with a Divorce in the mix your ex could have been making accusations you aren't aware of. Better to find that out up front and deal with it now.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

griffin

How did you have to give up your CPL? Did you get a letter in the mail requiring you to turn it in or something? If a PPO wasn't served on you, how do you know you have one?