Thread: Open Carry in the back of a pickup truck

Open Carry in the back of a pickup truck

Does a person require a ccw permit if they are open carrying as a passenger in the bed of a pickup truck?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Assuming you mean open carrying a loaded handgun, the way I read ORC 2923.16, yes:

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(5) Divisions (B) and (C) of this section do not apply to a person who transports or possesses a handgun in a motor vehicle if, at the time of that transportation or possession, both of the following apply:

(a) The person transporting or possessing the handgun is carrying a valid concealed handgun license.

(b) The person transporting or possessing the handgun is not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.
    If you are in the bed of a pickup truck, you are still "in a motor vehicle".
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 06-16-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

If I'm "in a motor vehicle" as soon as I hop on my motorcycle, I'm sure being inside the bed of a pickup wood be as well.

"I miss America"

Quote Originally Posted by idodishez View Post
    If I'm "in a motor vehicle" as soon as I hop on my motorcycle, I'm sure being inside the bed of a pickup wood be as well.
    Exactly. I think there is even a section in the ORC that essentially says "in" also means "on", the singular also includes the plural (and vice versa).
    NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Exactly. I think there is even a section in the ORC that essentially says "in" also means "on", the singular also includes the plural (and vice versa).
    How is sitting 'on' the tailgate interpreted?
    The only people who should fear, good guys with guns, are bad guys...criminals and politicians included.
    No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Suckerspawn View Post
    Same as sitting on a motorcycle.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Suckerspawn View Post
    Same as sitting on a motorcycle.
    Yup. Bottom line, unload and properly store your firearm for transport before entering or mounting any motor vehicle in any way.
    NRA Life Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Assuming you mean open carrying a loaded handgun, the way I read ORC 2923.16, yes:

If you are in the bed of a pickup truck, you are still "in a motor vehicle".
    You are a hillbilly in a motor vehicle lol....who rides in the bed of a pickup anymore?

The question is far out there ...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    You are a hillbilly in a motor vehicle lol....who rides in the bed of a pickup anymore?

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

I suspect there are far more hillbillies and good ol' boys than you seem to think. South of the Mason-Dixon Line it is still common practice. I'm not condoning it, but it is what it is.
    NRA Life Member

I've got a family of 4, a minivan and a pickup truck. While I do not deny having hillbilly or redneck ancestry, that's not the cause for riding in the bed.

If the van is in the shop, at least one of us (usually me) has to ride in the bed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.