• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the back of a pickup truck

Makarov

Does a person require a ccw permit if they are open carrying as a passenger in the bed of a pickup truck?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

JustaShooter

Assuming you mean open carrying a loaded handgun, the way I read ORC 2923.16, yes:

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(5) Divisions (B) and (C) of this section do not apply to a person who transports or possesses a handgun in a motor vehicle if, at the time of that transportation or possession, both of the following apply:

(a) The person transporting or possessing the handgun is carrying a valid concealed handgun license.

(b) The person transporting or possessing the handgun is not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

If you are in the bed of a pickup truck, you are still "in a motor vehicle".

Last edited:

idodishez

If I'm "in a motor vehicle" as soon as I hop on my motorcycle, I'm sure being inside the bed of a pickup wood be as well.

"I miss America"

JustaShooter

If I'm "in a motor vehicle" as soon as I hop on my motorcycle, I'm sure being inside the bed of a pickup wood be as well.

Exactly. I think there is even a section in the ORC that essentially says "in" also means "on", the singular also includes the plural (and vice versa).

JustaShooter

You are a hillbilly in a motor vehicle lol....who rides in the bed of a pickup anymore?

The question is far out there ...

I suspect there are far more hillbillies and good ol' boys than you seem to think. South of the Mason-Dixon Line it is still common practice. I'm not condoning it, but it is what it is.

MyWifeSaidYes

I've got a family of 4, a minivan and a pickup truck. While I do not deny having hillbilly or redneck ancestry, that's not the cause for riding in the bed.

If the van is in the shop, at least one of us (usually me) has to ride in the bed.