Thread: Getting a copy of the 911 call.

Getting a copy of the 911 call.

I was wondering how to go about getting a copy of a 911 call made about me carrying. Everything turned out fine, police informed the woman that I was within my rights to carry and left, but I was wondering what was said during the call. Any help would be nice.

Missouri Sunshine Law RMSO Chapter 610

http://www.moga.mo.gov/STATUTES/C610.HTM

http://ago.mo.gov/sunshinelaw/

Sample Records Request Form
    http://ago.mo.gov/sunshinelaw/requestform.htm

Records Request Form

[Insert name and address of officially designated custodian of records]

This is a request for records under the Missouri Sunshine Law, Chapter 610, Revised Statutes of Missouri.

I request that you make available to me the following records: _______________
    (Describe the records as specifically as possible. Where you are asking for records that cover only a particular period, such as last year or a specific month, identify that time period)

If you know the subject matter of the records, but do not have additional information, use this alternative:
    I request that you make available to me all records that relate to ______________
    (Be as specific as possible; include dates if you can)

If you want and are willing to pay for copies of the records, rather than just being able to see them:
    I request that the records responsive to my request be copied and sent to me at the following address: _____________.

If you believe your request serves the public interest, and is not just for personal or commercial interest, you may ask that the fees be waived:
    I request that all fees for locating and copying the records be waived. The information I obtain through this request will be used to _____________ (Tell how you will use the information and why that use is in the public interest)

Please let me know in advance of any search or copying if the fees will exceed $_________
    (Insert amount you are willing to pay without additional information about the documents)

If portions of the requested records are closed, please segregate the closed portions and provide me with the rest of the records.

(Insert your name, address, phone number, or electronic mail address)

Sunshine Law: Top 10 Things to Know
    • When in doubt, a meeting or record of a public body should be opened to the public.
    • The Sunshine Law applies to all records, regardless of what form they are kept in, and to all meetings, regardless of the manner in which they are held.
    • The Sunshine Law allows a public body to close meetings and records to the public in some limited circumstances, but it almost never requires a public body to do so.
    • A public body generally must give at least 24 hours' public notice before holding a meeting. If the meeting will be closed to the public, the notice must state the specific provision of the law that allows the meeting to be closed.
    • Each public body must have a written Sunshine Law policy and a custodian of records whose name is available to the public upon request.
    • The Sunshine Law requires a custodian of records to respond to a records request as soon as possible but no later than three business days after the custodian receives it.
    • The Sunshine Law deals with whether a public body's records must be open to the public, but it generally does not state what records the body must keep or for how long. A body cannot, however, avoid a records request by destroying records after it receives a request for those records.
    • The Sunshine Law requires a public body to grant access to open records it already has, but it does not require a public body to create new records in response to a request for information.
    • When responding to a request for copies of its records, the Sunshine Law limits how much a public body can charge for copying and research costs.
    • There are special laws and rules that govern access to law enforcement and judicial records.

"911" telephone reports inaccessible, exceptions.

610.150. Except as provided by this section, any information acquired by a law enforcement agency or a first responder agency by way of a complaint or report of a crime made by telephone contact using the emergency number, "911", shall be inaccessible to the general public. However, information consisting of the date, time, specific location and immediate facts and circumstances surrounding the initial report of the crime or incident shall be considered to be an incident report and subject to section 610.100. Any closed records pursuant to this section shall be available upon request by law enforcement agencies or the division of workers' compensation or pursuant to a valid court order authorizing disclosure upon motion and good cause shown.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-17-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Since this information concerns the requester, it may be requested as a common law record request as well.

A simple phone call is all that should be required I think ...

610.150. Except as provided by this section, any information acquired by a law enforcement agency or a first responder agency by way of a complaint or report of a crime made by telephone contact using the emergency number, "911", shall be inaccessible to the general public. However, information consisting of the date, time, specific location and immediate facts and circumstances surrounding the initial report of the crime or incident shall be considered to be an incident report and subject to section 610.100. Any closed records pursuant to this section shall be available upon request by law enforcement agencies or the division of workers' compensation or pursuant to a valid court order authorizing disclosure upon motion and good cause shown.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-17-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.