Thread: If you EDC a Springfield xdm 3.8 ...

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar

If you EDC a Springfield xdm 3.8 ...

What's your favorite OC holster and why?

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

I carry a 4.5 inch in a Safariland level 3. I've had people I know try to operate it (I have an airsoft replica for the "here, fumble with this" moments); none of them have figured it out yet. I figure if reasonable intelligent people can't figure it out in 30 seconds unopposed, most thugs won't have time to realize it isn't a thumb break. There's no replacement for situational awareness, but no reason not to assist it with technology.
    Last edited by Seigi; 06-18-2014 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seigi View Post
    I carry a 4.5 inch in a Safariland level 3. I've had people I know try to operate it (I have an airsoft replica for the "here, fumble with this" moments); none of them have figured it out yet. I figure if reasonable intelligent people can't figure it out in 30 seconds unopposed, most thugs won't have time to realize it isn't a thumb break. There's no replacement for situational awareness, but no reason not to assist it with technology.
    my safariland als does same thing have to push the lever forward then down. most dont know how to work it. prevents snatch and grab. i also have a blackhawk serpa. love that one too. glaco miami classic shoulder rig for more formal get togethers as leather is classy lol i find myself using my ALs or serpa most. retention is key to safe OC. i would hate to have a bad guy get my gun. i do what i can to curb that threat with retention holsters

I carry the XDM40 in 3.8" (full length grip, not the compact one) and use a SERPA with the paddle attachment, quick detach, and carry it at the 10-11 position. I find it to be comfortable, the paddle attachment makes it easier to adjust (the belt attachment will hit the belt loops), the quick detach moves it slightly away from the body (both more comfortable when bending over and less likely for my shirt to cover it since I don't tuck in my shirt) and allows me to easily remove the gun but leave it in the holster, and the 10-11 position I find to be more comfortable while also keeping the gun in a harder to grab position (same reason why I don't put a wallet in my back pocket).

When I CC it (mainly back before OK was an OC state) I would carry it in the nylon Blackhawk holster at the 10-11 position. While the clip on the holster isn't the most secure, at the position I carried it the gun was plenty secure so long as I had a belt on. When I tried it in board shorts the clip would flop around a bit and made me feel uncomfortable with it. Likewise when I carried it anywhere that wasn't in the front the nylon would flex and feel like the gun was falling away from me. But in the front with a belt the holster was comfortable and I could even run without the gun moving.

Note that for attire I generally wear casual button-up shirts (the kind that you don't tuck in) or tee shirts, shorts, and that I'm a lefty. I've found that what's comfortable and/or what works changes depending on the clothes worn.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40VE View Post
    my safariland als does same thing have to push the lever forward then down. most dont know how to work it. prevents snatch and grab. i also have a blackhawk serpa. love that one too. glaco miami classic shoulder rig for more formal get togethers as leather is classy lol i find myself using my ALs or serpa most. retention is key to safe OC. i would hate to have a bad guy get my gun. i do what i can to curb that threat with retention holsters
    ive wanted one of those for years just because. I feel like ill never use it though..... maybe just in winter.