Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: Pro-gun vs. Pro-2a

  1. #1
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318

    Pro-gun vs. Pro-2a

    My thoughts exactly.

    http://buzzpo.com/open-letter-america-pro-gun-pro-2a/

    edit to add FUQ because blind links suck "That being said, I now pose a question directly to you. Are you pro-gun, or are you pro 2nd Amendment?" Open letter written by Eric Reed, President of Gun Rights Across America
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 06-17-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Freedom is exercising your rights when and how you see fit, and still maintain a mutual respect for your fellow Americans when they do as well, even if that’s not your personal preference.

    I don't have to respect people talking the fascist crap that they say ... I tolerate them...to a point.

  3. #3
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Well written article. Thanks for the find and share.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,281
    Two Thumbs Up!
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,139
    I put this on Whatcom Counties fazeboog page and it has already generated more conversation. You can be Pro 2A and not own a gun.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  6. #6
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    You can own a gun and be anti-2A.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You can own a gun and be anti-2A.
    Some of are worse enemies are fellow gun owners.


    Those who say they are pro 2nd then say But are really not.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  8. #8
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    Excellent article - I too am very pro gun and pro 2A (I don't want to put an asterisk on this but there is a point to be made) - there are ways to improperly open carry. The picture that was taken of the two numnuts OCing long guns in Texas were carrying in a "ready" position. Perception is everything when we open carry. If you are carrying like you are about to start shooting, I can easily understand people's anxiety over the issue. If you want to open carry a long gun, fine, but is it too much to ask to carry the rifle slung in such a fashion that doesn't make it look like you are taking an aggressive posture? If I see people carrying like that, I would ask them to carry safely and if they didn't comply I would leave as is my right. Poor public perception does hurt us.

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,281
    A lot of people claim to be 2A, Obama and Biden examples, but clearly are not. It takes more than just making a claim, you have to back up the talk. Unfortunately too many of those making the claim love to point fingers.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  10. #10
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You can own a gun and be anti-2A.
    Yep we ran into them at the anti gun rally.....http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014...h-against.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Some of are worse enemies are fellow gun owners.


    Those who say they are pro 2nd then say But are really not.
    I agree and have been saying the same for years.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  11. #11
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    Excellent article - I too am very pro gun and pro 2A (I don't want to put an asterisk on this but there is a point to be made) - there are ways to improperly open carry. The picture that was taken of the two numnuts OCing long guns in Texas were carrying in a "ready" position. Perception is everything when we open carry. If you are carrying like you are about to start shooting, I can easily understand people's anxiety over the issue. If you want to open carry a long gun, fine, but is it too much to ask to carry the rifle slung in such a fashion that doesn't make it look like you are taking an aggressive posture? If I see people carrying like that, I would ask them to carry safely and if they didn't comply I would leave as is my right. Poor public perception does hurt us.
    They were not carrying like that. One of them briefly held his rifle up a little to get it included in a picture, as had been done hundreds of times before without issue. It's always been recommended to carry slung on the back, but for pictures, who the hell really cares if they pull it around front... Apparently MDA does, as well as a lot of pro-gun anti-2a people, hence we arrive at the article in the OP.

    I understand your point, and it is valid, but your example is not a valid one of the point you made.
    Advocate freedom please

  12. #12
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Yep we ran into them at the anti gun rally.....http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014...h-against.html



    I agree and have been saying the same for years.
    I'm pro-2nd, but I love steak.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You can own a gun and be anti-2A.
    Yup...when someone says a statement that starts with "I own a shotgun but" most of the rest will be an anti statement.

  14. #14
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I'm pro-2nd, but I love steak.


    The student and parents talked to us about all the guns the have in their home.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 06-20-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  15. #15
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    So if you are Pro-2A, can you be anti-gun?
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post


    Quote Originally Posted by Girl in the article
    I want there to be a way to stop the people who are going to do that.
    Minority Report?
    Last edited by FlyBoy276; 06-20-2014 at 05:46 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    So if you are Pro-2A, can you be anti-gun?
    Yes, in the sense that you can have a personal distaste for firearms, or a serious lack of interest, or even despise firearms, but still respect the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, along with the right and necessity for a populous to be equipped, trained, and generally prepared to defend themselves (potentially referred to as the forming of a militia).
    Advocate freedom please

  18. #18
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy276 View Post
    Minority Report?
    Yep she was scolded politely from John for that.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  19. #19
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Yes, in the sense that you can have a personal distaste for firearms, or a serious lack of interest, or even despise firearms, but still respect the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, along with the right and necessity for a populous to be equipped, trained, and generally prepared to defend themselves (potentially referred to as the forming of a militia).
    Maybe in theory; however, in reality I'm not sure how it will happen. As you stated, the distaste for firearms, IMO, will trickle over to the stance on the 2A; therefore, making it impossible to do both. Not arguing; just thinking out loud.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Maybe in theory; however, in reality I'm not sure how it will happen. As you stated, the distaste for firearms, IMO, will trickle over to the stance on the 2A; therefore, making it impossible to do both. Not arguing; just thinking out loud.
    I disagree. It's possible to find something a person says distasteful, yet fully support their right to say it. Same for guns and 2A.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

  21. #21
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    I disagree. It's possible to find something a person says distasteful, yet fully support their right to say it. Same for guns and 2A.
    Using a general straw man theory doesn't apply.

    We are talking about the distaste for firearms, but then fully supporting them.

    Although anecdotal, those who I have met who distaste firearms, distaste the carrying/bearing of them; therefore, not supporting the 2A. The closest to them agreeing with the 2A was a complete re-write of the 2A....i.e. gun registration/permit.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    So if you are Pro-2A, can you be anti-gun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    I disagree. It's possible to find something a person says distasteful, yet fully support their right to say it. Same for guns and 2A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Using a general straw man theory doesn't apply.
    Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

    Can you be against abortion but pro-choice? Sure. I am. Because I'm a usually rational man and can distinguish from my rights and opinions from that of a woman's right to do with her body. I think money and effort should be spent on preventative measures (education) so we can avoid getting to the point where abortion is desired.

    I don't like some speech, but I don't disagree with the 1A. Westboro Baptist has a right to express their thoughts, as misguided as I think they are. I don't believe someone has the ability to silence them for expressing themselves, unless it is to incite a riot or hateful action upon a person. But standing on a sidewalk with signs? Go right ahead.

    Some people don't like guns. That is their preference. But not liking guns does not mean they're anti-2A. It's just not their bag, baby.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Again, with no offense intended, you are trying to compare unrelated items to illustrate how, but have nothing in common.....strawman discussion. The 1st Amendment is different than the 2nd; the only common ground is they are listed. Different issues. Then abortion is a whole different topic. Still not comparable.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  24. #24
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Umm... they do have things in common. He made a valid analogy. It is not a strawman. /myopinion
    Advocate freedom please

  25. #25
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Umm... they do have things in common. He made a valid analogy. It is not a strawman. /myopinion
    +1 Thats the way I say it too.

    You can find peoples speech disgusting and support their right to say it.

    you can find guns disturbing and support peoples right to bear them. Seemed an apt analogy to me.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •