• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit holder "badge"

Edward Peruta

I have on several occasions heard the argument that people who see individuals wearing a badge next to their holstered exposed firearm don't cause alarm.

Not wanting to create any annoyance or alarm, I took the time to think about what I could do to prevent people from fearing my firearm.

The problem in my opinion seems to be that we carry our permits out of site, ( in our wallets or purse) where the public can't see that we are legal to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

So.... I have placed my order and will be obtaining my PERMIT HOLDER "BADGE" to mitigate any potential annoyance or alarm on the part of those around me when I am legally carrying my exposed holstered firearm.

carry Badge.jpg

Superlite27

I was unaware it was my job to placate irrational fears of the public.

If you believe this is a good idea, might I suggest a "I am not a child molester" badge for when you are in the vicinity of a playground.

Could I interest you in a "I'm not a vicious dog" badge for your Pit Bull when you take him for a walk?

Maybe a "I'm not drinking and driving" badge to place on your car?

After all, if it's our prerogative to placate the public.....

Midwest

Perhaps we also should carry handcuffs, a walky talkie, taser and have those neat looking blue emergency lights on top of our vehicles.

Last edited:

Bernymac

I still have the old "Official Bikini Inspector" somewhere. I think I'll wear that today so that I don't alarm the masses when I ogle.:uhoh:

Primus

I have on several occasions heard the argument that people who see individuals wearing a badge next to their holstered exposed firearm don't cause alarm.

Not wanting to create any annoyance or alarm, I took the time to think about what I could do to prevent people from fearing my firearm.

The problem in my opinion seems to be that we carry our permits out of site, ( in our wallets or purse) where the public can't see that we are legal to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

So.... I have placed my order and will be obtaining my PERMIT HOLDER "BADGE" to mitigate any potential annoyance or alarm on the part of those around me when I am legally carrying my exposed holstered firearm.

View attachment 11723

I don't know if it'd go so far as being construed as impersonation but 2 things will happen. 1) if someone got hurt or something happened people would be running to YOU for help. 2) probably more questions about you being a cop like "hey what dept are you with?" And then when you explain its just your permit badge might get akward...

Oh and a third I just thought of is you might executed my some coward who's anti government.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Fallschirjmäger

Purely for entertainment value, I'm going to entertain an answer.

Yes, because the only thing necessary to have probable cause for conviction of 'impersonating a police officer' is the presence of a shiny badge. That's why these guys dare not show their faces in public.
SBCFD-Station-11-Tyler-Gilliam_t479.jpg
10757301.jpg

and why you keep seeing these people in the backs of police cars...
1.0x0.jpg

Fallschirjmäger

In the OP's case all that is necessary is to peruse his own State Code on the matter to see why a mere badge is insufficient to substantiate the charge.

Connecticut General Statutes 53a-130a – Impersonation of a police officer: Class D felony
(a) A person is guilty of impersonation of a police officer when he pretends to be a sworn member of an organized local police department or the Division of State Police within the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, or wears or displays without authority any uniform, badge or shield by which such police officer is lawfully distinguished, with intent to induce another person to submit to such pretended official authority or otherwise to act in reliance upon that pretense.

(b) Impersonation of a police officer is a class D felony.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
By wearing a badge, you will appear to be a LEO to the casual observer, who will probably not get close enough to read it. Since they will assume you are a Cop and one who is "blessed" by his locality to carry a firearm, the observer will not become "alarmed."

In that scenario, how does that advance the cause of normalizing the open carry of a properly holstered handgun by law abiding citizens?

I would NOT wear a badge when I openly carry, because I WANT people to see a normal, non=LEO person openly carrying and going about his business in a perfectly normal, boring way. If they ask about my carry, I have good answers for them. If they react negatively -- and no one has in the years I have been carrying here in Northern Virginia -- I also have good information for THEM.

Dressing up like a cop to avoid confrontation does nothing to normalize open carry.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
By wearing a badge, you will appear to be a LEO to the casual observer, who will probably not get close enough to read it. Since they will assume you are a Cop and one who is "blessed" by his locality to carry a firearm, the observer will not become "alarmed."

In that scenario, how does that advance the cause of normalizing the open carry of a properly holstered handgun by law abiding citizens?

I would NOT wear a badge when I openly carry, because I WANT people to see a normal, non=LEO person openly carrying and going about his business in a perfectly normal, boring way. If they ask about my carry, I have good answers for them. If they react negatively -- and no one has in the years I have been carrying here in Northern Virginia -- I also have good information for THEM.

Dressing up like a cop to avoid confrontation does nothing to normalize open carry.

^This is the best reason (of many) to avoid permit badges IMO.

When your new purchase is delivered, quietly hide it in a drawer until you have occasion to give it away as a gag gift - perhaps at your next local OC meetup. :cool:

sheepdog

...having worn a badge for a number of years, I didn't OC off duty and then hang my badge next to my gun...when not in uniform, it was in my best interests to be seen as a citizen only...open carry being legal where I lived then...

...when one carries a gun with a badge next to it...public perception IS that they're an LEO...and the response should a criminal see it while committing a robbery would be to open fire...do you really want to become a target while going into the convenience store to buy your smokes...with your wife or grandchild beside you? MUCH better to be seen as an armed citizen...often the presence of the gun is not observed...but the badge is a beacon...

...OP might be better served laying the badge away for great-grandkids to marvel over someday and say..."And back then, he was allowed to actually have a gun..."

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
First, there is nothing illegal about wearing such an ornament in CT.

We should all get "Private Attorney General" badges ... lol

If the OP wishes to wear one, its up to him. I really do not see people bothering him.

As for keeping your permit in your wallet .. that's fine, not RAS to stop you and CT does not have a stop & ID statue.

And making people at ease around an OCer ... I don't think the badge will accomplish this but the OP is free to try anything.

I don't care one way or the other if a person would wear such a badge.

Edward Peruta

For the Record

Regardless of what state you live in, this is a topic that will not go away.

SO HERE ARE MY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

This post is directly related to oral arguments in the case of Burgess v. Wallingford which involved legal open carry.

The Burgess v. Wallingford issue and case was discussed at www.SJTALKSHOW.com on Saturday night June 14th.

This Saturday night, the Burgess side of the oral argument may be played.

Anyone can enter the discussion and participate in the program which is streamed live in real time beginning at 5pm eastern on Saturday nights.

Please watch this video clip and pay attention, (during the first 30 minute), to the segment where the Second Circuit audio is played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dpkjwC3trc#t=2058

In response to the outrageous statements made to the court by the attorney representing the town of Wallingford, CT, I researched the topic, ordered the badge and will, (to prove a point), begin to wear it while openly carrying my 1911.

I HAVE NO NEED FOR A BADGE, AND HAVE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS SUCCESSFULY DEBATED THE OPEN CARRY ISSUE WITH MEMBERS OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.

I have been and am currently a major supporter and advocate of OPEN CARRY, and challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

I have in the past and currently do OPENLY CARRY my 1911 or other firearm.

I do not fear any member of the public or law enforcement while openly carrying my firearm.

But the badge will create an interesting discussion topic for law enforcement and their attorneys once it becomes known.

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...But the badge will create an interesting discussion topic for law enforcement and their attorneys once it becomes known.

This last post portrays an entirely different purpose than the reasoning you gave in the original post and would have generated an entirely different discussion.

Why did you choose to originally misrepresent your motivation or intended goal? The latter explanation seems far more reasonable than the former.