• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it a violation of principle for an anarchist to be a cop

Is it a violation of principle for an "anarchist" to accept employment with police

• Yes

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

stealthyeliminator

Is it a violation of principles, morals or ethics for a Libertarian Anarchist to accept employment as a police officer, no matter the way in which he strives to perform his duties?

Fallschirjmäger

I don't see why it would be so.

Officers being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.*

I'm merely paying Officer O'Flynn to do something that I don't have the time of inclination to do, just as I pay Avarice Disposal to haul my trash to the dump or Gypsy Lube to change the oil on my car when I don't have time.

*Peelian Principal Number 7

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

What precisely concisely are the principles of the "Libertarian Anarchist" that are premises to the judgment that you ask?

I would list some of the general tenants as non-aggression, self-ownership, private property rights, laissez-faire economics, individual liberty (though this is probably too broad to be useful). I'm beginning to realize "Libertarian Anarchist" is probably much to ambiguous for a question like this.

Let me clarify that my main reservation would be that no matter how I conducted myself as a police officer, my salary would still be payed via taxation, and I believe taxation is immoral. With the belief that taxation is immoral, is there any way to reconcile one's conscious with employment as a police officer?

I have so far been unable to answer yes.

Edit to add: the concept of "implicit consent" in that context I imagine would be heavily criticized in most "Libertarian" circles.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I could never be a cop. I would be asked to do way to many things that are contrary to a voluntary free society and contrary to the current constitutional limits cops are supposed to have.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Its a moot question .. such people are too smart to be accepted as cops.

All libertarians are too smart to be cops from the guidelines of the government...can't be too smart and be a cop.

So while I see no issue from the libertarian applicant's viewpoint, they would never be accepted.

Primus

I would list some of the general tenants as non-aggression, self-ownership, private property rights, laissez-faire economics, individual liberty (though this is probably too broad to be useful). I'm beginning to realize "Libertarian Anarchist" is probably much to ambiguous for a question like this.

Let me clarify that my main reservation would be that no matter how I conducted myself as a police officer, my salary would still be payed via taxation, and I believe taxation is immoral. With the belief that taxation is immoral, is there any way to reconcile one's conscious with employment as a police officer?

Edit to add: the concept of "implicit consent" in that context I imagine would be heavily criticized in most "Libertarian" circles.

So you answered your own question. You couldn't do it because taxes would pay for your salary.

All I can say to help is look at this way... Usually the guys your helping are legit tax payers and happy to pay for your service especially after you helped them with x thing (find missing kid, find missing/stolen property, help at bad car accidents, help at fires, arrest guys for assaulting/robbing/harassing/disturbing said citizen, etc. Etc.) And the bad guys you arrest or charge for above crimes don't usually pay taxes anyways so don't have to worry about them.

Don't watch you tube or stupid anti cop websites. There's literally hundreds of good things you can do for others in your community and can actually make a difference in peoples lives for the better.

You just have to choose to be that way.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

georg jetson

Is taxation immoral or is just taxing someone's labor immoral?

Primus

Is taxation immoral or is just taxing someone's labor immoral?

Good question.

Also I would add/ask of stealthy do you partake in any other services that are funded via the very same taxation? Any public services funded by taxes? City transportation, park services, etc.... I would wager you do, which is a perfectly normal and moral thing. But ask yourself how that conflicts with your other objections

georg jetson

Good question.

Also I would add/ask of stealthy do you partake in any other services that are funded via the very same taxation? Any public services funded by taxes? City transportation, park services, etc.... I would wager you do, which is a perfectly normal and moral thing. But ask yourself how that conflicts with your other objections

I would also add that taxing moveable and imoveable propery is immoral both at sale or recurring. Most assuradely, police are paid by some form of immoral taxation.

Primus

Is there not other considerations that would dissuade a citizen from being a cop other than taxes?

There are many. But stealthy specifically stated his main issue was that it was funded by taxes he finds immoral. So he would be drawing a pay check from a source he finds immoral.

It wasn't just a general "hey guys why wouldn't I want to be a cop?". It started pretty specific about taxes and his political beliefs.

He kind of answered his own question.

cjohnson44546

I don't see how an anarchist could take an oath to uphold the constitution and other laws that he thinks is wrong...

taxes immoral? makes me laugh out loud.

cjohnson44546

I know!!!! It would be funny if it were't so sad that many believe legalized theft is moral.

No one forces you to be a citizen and pay taxes. If you don't want to help fund the government, then denounce your citizenship and leave. Pretty simple.

I think is wrong for an Anarchist to even live as a citizen of the country, let alone have government employment.

cjohnson44546

I'm not certain just how to parse your statement quoted. No one forces one to be a citizen, I believe that true. No one forces one to pay taxes, I believe that false as, e. g., sales taxes are collected at the cash register and fuel taxes are included in the price of fuel. I believe that the IRS maintains an armed enforcement arm, effectively collecting taxes at gun point.

If you want to interact (buy) with companies doing business as part of the country, you have to follow the rules... You want to be in the Country and get all the benefits of being in the Country with no obligation to support the Country? If you want to buy things with no Tax to the local governments, then don't buy stuff like that. Go to some other place/state/country. If you cannot find anywhere in the world to go that meets your wants in life, then you need to make your own country. I doubt you can, you'd probably just be killed or locked up trying to take land from others, but hey... go for it.

georg jetson

If you want to interact (buy) with companies doing business as part of the country, you have to follow the rules... You want to be in the Country and get all the benefits of being in the Country with no obligation to support the Country? If you want to buy things with no Tax to the local governments, then don't buy stuff like that. Go to some other place/state/country. If you cannot find anywhere in the world to go that meets your wants in life, then you need to make your own country. I doubt you can, you'd probably just be killed or locked up trying to take land from others, but hey... go for it.

Nobody said you didnt have to follow the rules. The point is that the rules are immoral. Surely you agree.

cjohnson44546

Nobody said you didnt have to follow the rules. The point is that the rules are immoral. Surely you agree.

I see nothing immoral with requiring citizens to help fund the government. I find plenty of laws and rules wrong which need to be changed. How taxes are handled in the US is very problematic, but I find nothing wrong with requiring taxes in principle.