• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Gun Range experience?

HPmatt

Going to move daughter up to Arlington at the end of the month and wanted to know if it w/b worth the effort to go by the range and get full benefits from my membership? Will be travelling between Lexington and Arlington for several days w a flexible schedule.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Blk97F150

Going to move daughter up to Arlington at the end of the month and wanted to know if it w/b worth the effort to go by the range and get full benefits from my membership? Will be travelling between Lexington and Arlington for several days w a flexible schedule.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Even if you do not go shoot in the range... a visit to the NRA's National Firearms Museum is well worth the time! Make sure you find the Bill Ruger Special Exhibits.... that gallery has tons of movie firearms in it, including Dirty Harry's 44, Josey Wales' revolvers, and a John Wayne lever action. Good stuff. :cool:

http://www.nramuseum.org/

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've taught a bit at the NRA range....nice place. Worth the visit....just be prepared for the safety test.

Yes. the dreaded safety test. That they give you with the correct answers circled on the test sheet. Just transfer them to the answer sheet.

I like the range, although it's too far away to make use of and it's in Northern Virginia. OTOH you can take the bus to the range. (OK, it's a short walk from the bus stop.) Go in a group and go OC.

If nothing else, the NRA Range should serve as the model for every indoor range.

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Weekends are very busy. I shoot on Monday or Friday morning. Hardly any wait.

This are the days I go because I hit that range in the morning and those are the only weekday mornings it is open. I was just there last Friday.

To the OP;
You can carry your sidearm into and onto the range, open or concealed, loaded or unloaded if you wish. You can do draw and fire practice there as well. The target holders can be setup to flip from edge to face and back for timed shooting. The staff is friendly and willing to help you if needed.

And as has been already mentioned, do visit the National Firearms Museum while there. It is well worth your time.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I often shoot at the NRA Range and happily echo all of the above positive comments. The Range is staffed by some of the most professional and helpful people I have worked with, and the Range is one of the best in the area.

The "safety test" is more of an educational exercise that makes sure you have read all of the Range rules. A Staff member will review your answers with you and correct anything you get wrong, and will give you and other newbies a Range Operations briefing before your first time shooting. There is always a Range Safety Officer (RSO) inside the shooting area who observes all of the shooters and can help out with procedures and the use of the target system.

You will not be disappointed with that facility.

Last edited:

HPmatt

I will check hours but would expect it w/b closed on 4th of July.
Monday morning w/b in Hampton Roads, so don't anticipate getting that one in either.

However w/b back in town often visiting daughter.
I think it w/b fun to take her and her 2 roomies to the range.
Would expect none of them have had any experience with handguns.
W proper pacing will be interested to see if they want to carry.

I think Emily Miller w/b a good starting point with them.

B. Reddy

Even A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Good Day At Work

We are fortunate to have that wonderful NRA range in Virginia, even if it is in occupied territory.

Take a quick look at the firearms museum, you might want to come back on your own to look at ALL the guns.

After the NRA visit, do your taste buds a favor and Yelp some ethnic restaurants. Especially Falls Church, Seven Corners area.

Enjoy your stay.

SouthernBoy

We are fortunate to have that wonderful NRA range in Virginia, even if it is in occupied territory.

Take a quick look at the firearms museum, you might want to come back on your own to look at ALL the guns.

After the NRA visit, do your taste buds a favor and Yelp some ethnic restaurants. Especially Falls Church, Seven Corners area.

Enjoy your stay.

???

Please explain this one.

SouthernBoy

"We are fortunate to have that wonderful NRA range in Virginia, even if it is in occupied territory."

That part of our commonwealth has an unnaturally high YSM ratio*

*Yankee per Square Mile

Well yes, you're right about this. I live in western Prince William County and for some reason we see an inordinate amount of license plates from New York and New Jersey here. In the Northern Virginia area, only around 20% of the population is native to the area. The rest come from other parts of the country and the world. But for some reason, the carrying of handgun openly doesn't seem to cause any problems or concerns. I can't explain this but it's real.

What has disappeared are nice, soft Virginia accents which have a personality all their own.

hunter45

"We are fortunate to have that wonderful NRA range in Virginia, even if it is in occupied territory."

That part of our commonwealth has an unnaturally high YSM ratio*

*Yankee per Square Mile

And that is exactly why I had to retreat further south to South Carolina. I don't miss NOVA one bit.

va_tazdad

And that is exactly why I had to retreat further south to South Carolina. I don't miss NOVA one bit.

LOL Same reason I moved from Manassas. Richmond is perfect, 2 hours from anything you want to do and no traffic.

As they say, "it don't get no better than this". ;>)

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Myrtle Beach is "The Grand Strand," rarely considered Lowcountry, which most commonly accepted definition includes the counties of Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton, Jasper, Berkeley, Charleston, and Dorchester counties.

I never equated the Lowcountry to the Myrtle Beach area in my post. I just remarked that I love the Lowcountry. And I have been to the Grand Strand and most of the rest of the shores of South Carolina many times since 1969. However some will argue that the Lowcountry begins in Georgetown County at the north end, which is still on the Grand Strand.