Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: WI CCL address change

  1. #1
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118

    WI CCL address change

    It says in the back of my license that I have 30 days to change my address with the DOJ...has anybody done this? Is there a fee? I have until August 21 apparently but I'd like to be on it sooner.

    And please tell me they don't just tape a new address over the top of the old one line the DMV used to do...

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,150

    Permanent Rule Jus 17.08 (1) Changes, updates, replacements, or renewals of licenses.

    Jus 17.08 (1) Changes, updates, replacements, or renewals of licenses. CHANGE OF ADDRESS .
    Written notice of a change of address from a licensee pursuant to s. 175.60(11)(b)1., Stats., shall be submitted on a form provided by the department. Upon receiving such notice of a change of address, the department shall update its license records with the new information. At the request of a licensee whose address has changed, the department shall issue the licensee a new license document containing the new address.

    Note: The change of address form is available on the department’s Internet site. The mailing address
    for the department is Wisconsin Department of Justice, Attention: Firearms Unit, Post Office Box
    7130, Madison, WI, 53707-7130.
    [ ... ]
    (5) FEES .
    (a) For any license document issued under this section, the department shall charge the replacement or renewal fee provided in s. Jus 17.12(3).
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-19-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    I had to change my address after I moved. There was no fee if done within 30 days.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    popple butte
    Posts
    349
    If you want a license reflecting your new address it will cost you 12 bucks regardless.

  5. #5
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I did a google search for [wisconsin doj concealed carry] and came up with this as the top hit:
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...oncealed-carry

    On the right of that page is a link mislabeled "CCW forms":
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...arry/ccw-forms

    The second link on that page is this, the form you're supposed to use to report your address change:
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/def.../dj-le-285.pdf

    And the text below it says:
    Licensees are required to notify the Department of Justice Firearms Unit in writing within 30 days of changing their address.
    To do this you must submit a completed and signed address change form.
    If you would like a new license to reflect your updated address you must include a check or money order payable to the Wisconsin Department of Justice in the amount of $12.
    However, you are not required to replace your license when you change your address.
    You should update your address with the DMV first, can do that online.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 06-19-2014 at 11:38 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I did a google search for [wisconsin doj concealed carry] and came up with this as the top hit:
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...oncealed-carry

    On the right of that page is a link mislabeled "CCW forms":
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...arry/ccw-forms

    The second link on that page is this, the form you're supposed to use to report your address change:
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/def.../dj-le-285.pdf

    And the text below it says:


    You should update your address with the DMV first, can do that online.



    I wonder if it could cause a problem were a cop to ask that magic question they never seem to ask if I don't pay the $12 to get the new ID. That probably means they'll be disarming me for "safety" and touching my gear. I don't like other people touching my gear. Or sharing popcorn.





    Hint for 5-0:


    "Why are you carrying a gun?"

    "Bears."


    "can I see ID?"





    "nope."





    "Do you have a carry permit?" (instead of "how do I know you're not a felon?")





    "why yes, here is that permit and my drivers license."





    And that, deputies, is how you get around that pesky RAS and my refusal to ID.
    Last edited by wimwag; 06-20-2014 at 01:15 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member vinchenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    It says in the back of my license that I have 30 days to change my address with the DOJ...has anybody done this? Is there a fee? I have until August 21 apparently but I'd like to be on it sooner.

    And please tell me they don't just tape a new address over the top of the old one line the DMV used to do...
    I just did mine. I printed the document off the DOJ website, and mailed it to the address on the back of my CCL. As others stated, there's a fee to have the new address reflected on your license. I opted not to have a new card made so it didn't cost me a dime.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,150
    Quote Originally Posted by vinchenzo View Post
    I just did mine. I printed the document off the DOJ website, and mailed it to the address on the back of my CCL. As others stated, there's a fee to have the new address reflected on your license. I opted not to have a new card made so it didn't cost me a dime.
    Well said. Well done.

    My issue with the state approved instructors is that they benefit the state and not their clients, with fees and prohibitions. Instead they should be teaching how to legally accomplish the clients' desires.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  9. #9
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by wimwag
    I wonder if it could cause a problem were a cop to ask that magic question they never seem to ask if I don't pay the $12 to get the new ID. That probably means they'll be disarming me for "safety" and touching my gear.
    Why would they try to steal your property just because you're OC and have no RAS that you're committing a crime?
    And why would you choose to provide your ID & carry license upon demand, when they have no RAS that you're doing something requiring a license or ID? That's just reinforcing to them that what they're doing is acceptable.


    cop: "can I see ID?"
    me: "nope."
    uninformed cop: "Do you have a carry permit?" (instead of "how do I know you're not a felon?")
    me: What am I doing that you think requires me to have a concealed carry license?

    If he comes up with an actual crime he thinks I'm committing, for which a defense is having a concealed carry license (e.g. carrying concealed, carrying in the magical 1000' bubble around a school, carrying in a taxpayer-owned building) I'll show my licenses.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 06-20-2014 at 01:21 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Why would they try to steal your property just because you're OC and have no RAS that you're committing a crime?
    And why would you choose to provide your ID & carry license upon demand, when they have no RAS that you're doing something requiring a license or ID? That's just reinforcing to them that what they're doing is acceptable.



    me: What am I doing that you think requires me to have a concealed carry license?

    If he comes up with an actual crime he thinks I'm committing, for which a defense is having a concealed carry license (e.g. carrying concealed, carrying in the magical 1000' bubble around a school, carrying in a taxpayer-owned building) I'll show my licenses.

    true. Didn't think of it that way.

  11. #11
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    If you want a license reflecting your new address it will cost you 12 bucks regardless.

    Ok Doug, seriously...couldn't you just post that at the end of your last comment? Why log out of one account and into another?

  12. #12
    Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kenosha County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Ok Doug, seriously...couldn't you just post that at the end of your last comment? Why log out of one account and into another?
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear that he has multiple computers running, logged into each puppet simultaneously... pretty creepy, if you ask me. Talk about shunning ICKY!
    “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.” - John Adams

    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    popple butte
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Have Gun - Will Carry View Post
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear that he has multiple computers running, logged into each puppet simultaneously... pretty creepy, if you ask me. Talk about shunning ICKY!
    Paranoia big destroyah

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •