• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A new gun law?

Chief Ten Beers

Has anyone heard of a new law....maybe NOT a law just yet....that a person buying a gun cannot transfer it to someone else? Such as in private sales? :confused:

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
There was a SCOTUS decision recently related to straw purchases: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/12-1493_k5g1.pdf

Maybe that's what you heard about.

I don't think it makes straw purchases any "more illegal." It does seem to set precedent that could be used to prosecute more transactions as straw purchases though. But I am not a lawyer, and I'm not even particularly good at analyzing case law. Perhaps some of our more litigation-minded members can help out. . .

Chief Ten Beers

Hey Running Wolf. I heard about the straw purchase law, but the question asked to me was about private people selling guns here in Kentucky, if that has been changed.

Brian D.

Hey Running Wolf. I heard about the straw purchase law, but the question asked to me was about private people selling guns here in Kentucky, if that has been changed.

Best I know--as an advocate from one state away who crosses your border quite often--is that there were no new firearms regulations passed in Frankfort during the recently-ended session. Certainly none to RESTRICT gun rights.

Chief Ten Beers

Best I know--as an advocate from one state away who crosses your border quite often--is that there were no new firearms regulations passed in Frankfort during the recently-ended session. Certainly none to RESTRICT gun rights.

That's what I thought, but the question was asked me by a friend from church, and I didn't really know, so I figured the best way to find out is the forum. :) After all, who would know more about new gun laws than the good folks on here. :dude:

neuroblades

It has been reported that the SCOTUS had ruled in a case that pertained to individual's purchasing guns as gifts for someone else. Which could quite possibly be seen as a type of "Straw Purchase".