Thread: America’s expanding police state, Neighborhood cops are becoming armed soldiers

America’s expanding police state, Neighborhood cops are becoming armed soldiers

With so much happening internationally and the number of scandals, crises and general screw-ups of the Obama administration here at home, it’s worth noting a disturbing development here on the domestic front: a rapidly expanding police state.

On my radio program last week I had the pleasure of speaking with Cheryl Chumley, a reporter for The Washington Times, about her new book, “Police State USA: How George Orwell’s Nightmare is Becoming our Reality.” The title says it all, and aptly describes the shocking transformation of what had been our free society.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ce-state-army/

Glenn Greenwald makes many mentions, direct and indirect, to the George Orwell police-state meme in his 'No Place to Hide:'
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The latest Greenwald book, and John Whitehead's "A Government of Wolves" are both books that I can only read a little at a time. More than likely the book you've referred to would have the same effect on me. Namely a rage-fueled need to rend and tear . . . .

It does seem as if the pace of instituting repressive policies and practices has increased lately. Although that impression might simply be due to my own increased awareness and edification.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    The latest Greenwald book, and John Whitehead's "A Government of Wolves" are both books that I can only read a little at a time. More than likely the book you've referred to would have the same effect on me. Namely a rage-fueled need to rend and tear . . . .

It does seem as if the pace of instituting repressive policies and practices has increased lately. Although that impression might simply be due to my own increased awareness and edification.
    Probably both. Reporting and the availability of citizens to record their encounters so cops words are no longer gospel. Plus a huge increase of the militarization of local cops and federal hands on.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

From reading the blurb on this book from the Washington Times, I didn't hear anything new I haven't seen here on OCDO with its various posts.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651